Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer now showing Delta certificate upgrade availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpertFlyer now showing Delta certificate upgrade availability?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Not all flights are showing. Can't Get ATL-NRT to pop up correctly.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
Not all flights are showing. Can't Get ATL-NRT to pop up correctly.
Only flights that have >0 upgrade inventory are shown. Try searching O class for late October ATL-NRT and you'll see at least one flight. It works.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Fixed that for you.

Seems like solid evidence that EF is showing RP/OP inventory, mislabeled as R/O.
Do we have a wiki somewhere that can describe those fare classes: O, OU, R, RU?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there any evidence that R and RP or O and OP inventory are different? I understand the need to show different fare classes as class flown for mileage credit purposes, but are these really different? If not, then one can see upgrade inventory by searching for (low?) award tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure... I've had several segments clear into OP recently where I never received an EF alert for O and never saw inventory when I did a search for O. Its possible the DL system grabbed it quickly when there was space, unlike in the past when there was some kind of 'sweep' delay when inventory opened and it cleared upgrades.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Data point: I briefly restored my EF subscription for other purposes, but it happily coincided with this DL info becoming available again. Recent searches on EF for O on SFO-JFK over a holiday weekend yielded results that matched SWU inventory when I called DL to book the trip. ^
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is there any evidence that R and RP or O and OP inventory are different? I understand the need to show different fare classes as class flown for mileage credit purposes, but are these really different? If not, then one can see upgrade inventory by searching for (low?) award tickets.
They are definitely different. I have seen many flights for which OP was available but low business awards (O) were not.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
From AdamDunn's comment upthread, it seems that O is a subset of OP. Ditto for R.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL, SPG
Well not a subset - different inventory classes. But in terms of fare bucket ordering, R/O falls below RP/OP. There are certain cases where they can bucket together and share inventory but this typically doesn't happen.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:21 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
Well not a subset - different inventory classes. But in terms of fare bucket ordering, R/O falls below RP/OP. There are certain cases where they can bucket together and share inventory but this typically doesn't happen.
R/O to our knowledge is the external representation of RP/OP, not a subset and not different from RP/OP. This mirroring is done so travel agents can search/book upgrades as most GDSs only support single letter fare class codes. This is also stated on the DL website under both Global and Regional certificates terms: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

Many times, an airlines internal and external representations of classes are different. Internally, R/O are award classes, however outside of their host system R/O, which had not been previously viewable, are published as mirrors of RP/OP. This is why the published R/O do not match the First/Business award inventory on the DL website.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
R/O to our knowledge is the external representation of RP/OP, not a subset and not different from RP/OP. This mirroring is done so travel agents can search/book upgrades as most GDSs only support single letter fare class codes. This is also stated on the DL website under both Global and Regional certificates terms: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

Many times, an airlines internal and external representations of classes are different. Internally, R/O are award classes, however outside of their host system R/O, which had not been previously viewable, are published as mirrors of RP/OP. This is why the published R/O do not match the First/Business award inventory on the DL website.
Correct - R/O are fare classes that can be seen through GDS and travel agent booking tools. But in reality R/O and RP/OP are still separate classes. Your receipt will show the actual class of service and is also what DL reservations still sees internally. As you said, R/O = 5 does not mean 5 Saver awards available. It could be R/O=0 and RP/OP=5.

Thanks for the clarification on the GDS portion.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:11 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
Correct - R/O are fare classes that can be seen through GDS and travel agent booking tools. But in reality R/O and RP/OP are still separate classes. Your receipt will show the actual class of service and is also what DL reservations still sees internally. As you said, R/O = 5 does not mean 5 Saver awards available. It could be R/O=0 and RP/OP=5.

Thanks for the clarification on the GDS portion.
Yes the upgrades are issued as OP/RP, however the externally published R/O is a representation of the internal OP/RP. In theory DL could make the values different if they had a reason to do so, however we have not seen any indication that that is the case, nor have been told that this is currently the case. As the other posters in this thread have reported, there is currently a direct link between the two, so enjoy!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thank you to the EF company rep for official word. Access to this data may prompt me to restart my regular membership.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Cool, I was pleasantly surprised that I received an email from EF on this. Probably because when I cancelled I listed this as the key issue.

Definitely makes EF more valuable to me, and will likely re-signup.

Now, if they can just show that P = NP :-)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it gone already?

This morning a couple of searches on EF showed error messages when looking for O and R. Is it possible that it has already been yanked by Delta and the few days that we had it were enough to convince them that it was for their purposes correct the first time in not showing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.