Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to Delta out of Austin (due to SkyClub changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec

This is not meant to be a rant about changes or a threat to change things or I am leaving Delta. However, with the SkyClub change, I am considering options other than Delta. I wanted to get people’s input or suggestions.

Reasoning of why I am looking elsewhere:

The SkyClub membership went up dramatically a few weeks back. I actually like the changes and love the future Individual membership level. However, it is not available yet and my SkyClub membership just expired. I asked Delta when Individual memberships would be available and was told “stay tuned.” I pay for SkyClub out of my own pocket and can’t justify spending on the Executive level membership since I am the only one that ever uses it, no guests. Poor planning on their part for people like me that expire between the increase and the Individual membership being available. 10 years as a Platinum and paid SkyClub since it stopped being a free perk and I am finally at the point of considering leaving Delta.

My situation:

I am primarily flying out of Austin, TX. I travel a lot to New York, San Francisco, Atlanta and Chicago. I am about to book a lot of travel in the next two months, including at least two trips to major cities in Europe (London, Paris, Frankfurt, or Berlin – not sure which yet). Club access is important to me and I am not going to book without knowing I will have access. Redeemable mileage accrual is not very important to me at the moment.

Who here flies out of Austin and what do you recommend as far as the other airlines? Right now there is an American and United club in Austin (club access in Austin is not as important to me) so I am leaning towards them. (Side note, I had a really bad experience about 10 years ago with American and rarely fly them since then so there is a tad of bias there.)

Thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by patrickATX
. . . . . what do you recommend as far as the other airlines?
Delta - X

AA - X

US - Soon to be AA - X

All that's left is UA

. . . . and of course, WN, whose lounge is ALWAYS open to the public - AKA McDonald's.

Welcome to the world of airline mergers and consolidation, where it'll mean MORE CHOICES for the traveling public!

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 20, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:14 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
There's always AMEX; either Platinum (regular charge card) or Reserve will get you SC access. The charge card costs $450 a year but comes with an annual $200 toward fees on the airline of your choice. That brings the cost down to $250 a year, or $125 over the Gold card or $155 over the green card. If you're already an AMEX charge card holder, the math works pretty well. You can't guest anyone in anymore, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in your case.

As far as other airlines go, the grass is not greener at UA and nobody knows what the AA/US merger will bring. You can also fly WN.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Definitely not WN. I like my upgrades and they do not go to Europe.

I totally spaced out on the AmEx. I have an Amex Gold charge card and a Delta AmEx gold credit card. I will look into Platinum and access. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
The Plat AMEX is probably the way to go unless you will often find yourself wanting to use the Skyclub without being on Delta, as flying DL is a requirement to get lounge access with the AMEX. The AMEX will also give you Priority Pass (minus United) which sometimes comes in handy with random lounges. The $200 credit make the AF effectively $250 so a better deal than buying a membership.

The AA club at AUS is really nice, I'd consider switching to AA but you should really pick what airline is best for your travel patterns. If you go this route, not surprisingly it's a better bet to get the AA Citi Exec card, as is has a $200 statement credit the first year so only $250 for a year of Admirals Club (vs $450 + $50 new member fee).

Also, I'm not 100% sure you can't renew your SC membership now. I think you just renew what you have and it will convert into an Individual membership when the change goes through in May?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:22 pm

I fly out of Austin and the clubs here are not a concern for me. I'm more about clubs at the hubs, ATL, DTW, SLC. If mileage redemption is not an issue, can you burn some miles to purchase the skyclub membership? The bean-counters around here will balk at that suggestion, but you know.... they're bean-counters.

There's always the Club One option at Austin. No-frills peace and quiet while waiting for your delayed flight. I think I'm the only one who knows about it.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst

Also, I'm not 100% sure you can't renew your SC membership now. I think you just renew what you have and it will convert into an Individual membership when the change goes through in May?
I tried and they said that I could only purchase an Executive level Sky Club membership.

Originally Posted by irishPirate
There's always the Club One option at Austin. No-frills peace and quiet while waiting for your delayed flight. I think I'm the only one who knows about it.
I hate to ask, but... Club One?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:21 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Definitely not WN. I like my upgrades and they do not go to Europe.

I totally spaced out on the AmEx. I have an Amex Gold charge card and a Delta AmEx gold credit card. I will look into Platinum and access. Thanks.
Glad to be able to help. I toss away more than $200 a year on drinks and food in flight, so the effective cost for me was $125 a year for SC access when I upgraded to Platinum from Gold a few years back which strikes me as a pretty good deal; it was an even better deal when the booze was drinkable, but I digress... As long as your payment history with them is good, upgrading the card shouldn't be an issue; I was mailed a new platinum card and had it within a week. You can keep the same card number, which helps if you run a lot of your monthly recurring household bills through your account.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'll be the first to admit that UA has its own quirks but the combination of a club in AUS along with non-stops to your favorite cities make it a very logical choice.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I second (or third) the Platinum card suggestion. You get SC access when flying Delta plus Priority Pass can be very nice. I very much prefer The Club at ATL over the SCs there. Priority Pass can also be useful for your trips to Europe once the third-party lounge changes take place (assuming you're flying coach). I'm not too familiar with lounges in NYC, Chicago, or SF; however, I see Priority Pass options at LGA, JFK, ORD, and SFO.

Additionally, the $200 credit can be used for food/booze or for e-certs in $50 increments or you could pick a different airline if you occasionally have to fly one and pay baggage fees and such. The card also refunds the cost of Global Entry which is well worth the time it takes to fill out the application and go for an interview if you have international travel coming up.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
My situation: I am primarily flying out of Austin, TX. Thoughts?
My company has a plant at New Braunfels so can use AUS or SAT - do you have an SAT option or is it just too far?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Delta - X

AA - X

US - Soon to be AA - X

All that's left is UA

. . . . and of course, WN, whose lounge is ALWAYS open to the public - AKA McDonald's.

Welcome to the world of airline mergers and consolidation, where it'll mean MORE CHOICES for the traveling public!

I was on 130 and saw the BA 787 landing last week.. OP could always use BA for their European travels.

Otherwise, I'm still a DL fan.. I mean, doesn't everyone want to go MDT-MEM-AUS all on CRJ200s?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 32767a
I was on 130 and saw the BA 787 landing last week.. OP could always use BA for their European travels.

Otherwise, I'm still a DL fan.. I mean, doesn't everyone want to go MDT-MEM-AUS all on CRJ200s?
Pretty sure there's never been MDT-MEM service (even back in the NW hub days).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Pretty sure there's never been MDT-MEM service (even back in the NW hub days).
My mistake, I was looking at several flights for that trip.
it was PIT-MEM-AUS. Still all on sardine cans though.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The AUS Admirals Club is one of the best in the system. I highly recommend AA out of AUS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.