Community
Wiki Posts
Search

silver to gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

silver to gold

I have an option of getting to gold by the end of the year or holding off late year trip to rollover about 23K mqm's to 2015 basically securing silver for 2015. 2 key questions
1. is it worth is to push and get gold with all the new req for 2015( mq$ are non issue with cc spend waiver) my hub is dtw if that matters
2. if i understand it correctly as silver i get 25% mqm bonus and as gold get 100% mqm bonus so would it make sense to assume if I fly and earn 25k mqm miles i will earn the 50k mqm miles needed to stay gold moving forward. I am making the assumption i will get 100% bonus on all miles flown
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Medallion bonus only applies to redeemable miles, not MQM's. You must earn the required MQM's for status each year, there's no MQM boosts based on status. Next year, those bonus redeemable miles will all be changing to spend based (7x for Silver, 8x for Gold). As you can see, the difference between Silver and Gold is rather mild. If you can hit Gold before the end of the year, you will enjoy the 100% bonus on redeemable miles until the new spend based system kicks in for 2015.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Gold has a few better benefits like Sky boarding rather than Zone 1. Also the same for security (unless you have Pre-check). I have not tried to use SDC yet but in the past it was free. So IMHO I would go for upgrade in status. But if you do not see yourself flying much next year then you might plan for the roll over.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: DL GM SPG National Emerald
go for the gold

My opinion, silver is pretty useless (just get a branded AmEx and you'll get almost the same benefits). Get the gold and you'll be treated somewhat human.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Go for Gold!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I am also DTW based and usually hold short for the rollover to guarantee Silver. If you are thinking about Gold getting you more/any upgrades out of DTW, forget it, there are too many Plat.s & Dia.s coming through the hub.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback and clarification on my misunderstanding of mom bonus seemed to good to be true I think I might do the late trip and hit gold and see for a year if if matters much
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'd go for it. If it was between gold/plat or plat/diamond it would be a more nuanced question depending on what benefits are important to you. But going from Silver to Gold is a big jump.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:33 am

Benefits dont really get exciting until you get to GM. 100% bonus, economy comfort seating, a decent shot at upgrades (am 5 for 9 on ug eligible flights so far), sky priority and SDS/SDC are a lot more exciting than the 25% bonus and free "preferred seating."

A lot of it depends on how much you will fly in 2015 and beyond but i think i'd take 1 year at GM and one year as nothing vs. 2 years as FO.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by injera
Benefits dont really get exciting until you get to GM. 100% bonus, economy comfort seating, a decent shot at upgrades (am 5 for 9 on ug eligible flights so far), sky priority and SDS/SDC are a lot more exciting than the 25% bonus and free "preferred seating."

A lot of it depends on how much you will fly in 2015 and beyond but i think i'd take 1 year at GM and one year as nothing vs. 2 years as FO.
Remember that the 100% GM bonus ends on January 1. It doesn't sound like the OP will do a lot of flying after reaching GM this year, so it won't matter much. Going forward, IIRC GM will earn one more mile per dollar spent, which is not nearly as much of a difference compared to FO, 100% versus 25% now but 8 versus 7 miles per dollar next year.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG
I think it's worth it for the Sky boarding and free Economy Comfort seats domestically and elite TSA line if you don't have TSA Pre Check. Sometimes non TSA PreCheck elites get shuffled into the PreCheck line.

I've been low on upgrades this year, maybe 1/10 but having Economy Comfort and being able to skip the hassles at TSA make it worth it. Gold+ or GTHO.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Go for the GM. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your AMEX. If you'll meet the MQD waiver and have a DL Plat AMEX you get another 10K MQM at the $25K spend. If you have a DL Reserve AMEX you get 15K MQM for another $5K of spend. Anyone can easily manufacture $5K of spend. If you can double those you can get 20 or 30K MQM each year which makes maintaining GM very easy with minimal flying. 1 10K MQM MR plus 30K from AMEX keeps you there fairly easily.

Then next year you can post a new thread "gold to platinum"
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If you don't have precheck then IMO gold is worth it just for the SP security line out of Detroit and for the free EC seats

You also get the HOOU coupons on your printed boarding pass and if you check bags they are SUPPOSE to come out first, but a lot of time that doesn't happen.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
IMHO the best benefit to Gold is SDC and Standby for a different flight. Being able to have the ability to switch flights (if available) free of charge is the most valuable benefit. Oh and some times you might get the comp UG.....So your telling me I have a chance! (quote from the movie Dumb and Dumber.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:21 am
Suspended

DL Rollover

No assurance that there will be a rollover in 2015. I'm thinking not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.