Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL fly international BE with empty seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

I have several international trips coming up. I've been lucky and have been upgraded to BE recently on oversold international, but wondering if a flight has many open coach seats, will Delta still op-up medallions? Or, if the BE cabin is mostly empty, do they keep it that way?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Taj Silver
They will absolutely fly with empty seats in BE. I've seen as many as half of the seats empty. (I've also seen it completely full.)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Op-Ups happen only when Y is oversold. Delta will (and often) does leave seats vacant in the BE cabin.

The running mantra on FT is "don't worry, they will be filled with non-revs."
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

On my last flight to DUS from ATL, there were only four of us in BE. Op ups only on international routes, though I have been 33% TATL op ups for the last year or so.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
About a year ago I flew on a very sparsely filled flight LHR-BOS (it was the Sunday of Presidents' Day weekend). There were perhaps half a dozen pax in BE, a similar number in EC, and 40 at most in the rest of Y. Assuming the only medallions in economy were those in EC, it would not have been a big deal to upgrade all the medallions; it might even have been possible to upgrade everyone in economy. That did not happen. I should add that it was not a big disappointment as I had two seats to myself on the side of the plane plus the three middle seats when I wanted to nap.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:52 pm

There was a phantom UPG program NW ran into the merger that had targeted J upgrades. IIRC it was targeted at HVCs they thought might buy J later on and was positioned more as a sample than a benefit. NW had a more advanced CRM system for customers than DL that could come up with the list to the GA.

I don't see DL doing that again, or if they did I wouldn't expect it outside NYC and perhaps SEA.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes as mentioned above they absolutely will and do fly with empty BE seats. Any available seats after SWUs/GUs or op-ups will go to non revs and the rest will be empty.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I have several international trips coming up. I've been lucky and have been upgraded to BE recently on oversold international, but wondering if a flight has many open coach seats, will Delta still op-up medallions? Or, if the BE cabin is mostly empty, do they keep it that way?
See the corrosive effect: now you expect Business for free. I'll get my bubba on... if you want Business elite, buy Business Elite.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
See the corrosive effect: now you expect Business for free. I'll get my bubba on... if you want Business elite, buy Business Elite.
Wrong. If you read my post a bit more closely, you'll see that I stated that I had been lucky.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:58 pm

Yeah...lucky maybe...but I think 3Cforme was talking about.....
"...but wondering if a flight has many open coach seats, will Delta still op-up medallions?"
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm a new DL medallion and new to FF. It was an honest question.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:28 pm

I have been in an empty BE cabin where EVERY seat in coach was full. There may have been upgrades there couldn't have been many.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
Yes as mentioned above they absolutely will and do fly with empty BE seats. Any available seats after SWUs/GUs or op-ups will go to non revs and the rest will be empty.
Yup.

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I have been in an empty BE cabin where EVERY seat in coach was full. There may have been upgrades there couldn't have been many.
If you were in the cabin it wasn't empty.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Charter/Former 4 time DL Diamond now Platinum, AAExecPlat, MM+ on three carriers, more ...
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I'm a new DL medallion and new to FF. It was an honest question.
You asked a good question. Sorry if someone took it wrong. I suspect the recent changes by Delta have some people on edge. I was and I am sure they did not mean it.

Delta usually does not upgrade internationally, as they want those who can pay to pay, rather than hope for or expect an upgrade. It is part of revenue maximization. Once upon a time, Delta thought giving upgrades was smart. Now the do not. On international, for the past ten years that I recall, they did not give away upgrades often.

That said, I have flown Delta BE internationally at least 200 times over the past 10 years and coach about 10. I have been upgraded on three legs - so my odds would be 15% at best. I have had luck in upgrading my wife when I have paid for a low fare coach seat for her and business for me - maybe 50%. I always give her my seat, and the FAs usually move me up if there is room - regardless of policy.

Yes, Delta will usually fly with empty BE seats, unless they can over-fill coach - in which case the BE seat will be used to add revenue at the last moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.