Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Changes Their Paid Standby Upgrade Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:48 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG

Delta is at it again, this time with a minor change to their paid standby upgrade program.

While there was no formal announcement from Delta, I thought I would share the news with you.

Delta recently updated their paid standby upgrade program March 1st. Before you would only upgrade on a K+ fare, but now they are adding paid upgrades to L, U, T, X, and V fares in addition to K+ fares. However, the price for these paid upgrades is dependent on the fare class.

Another major change when it comes to paid upgrades is that they are not allowing them on their JFK-Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle flights.

Feel free to check out my post for all the details on this change.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:12 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
As long as they come after Medallion upgrades I think this is a positive change. It also makes sense to break them down by fare class and distance. It would be interesting to compare how closely the at gate buy-up amount compares with the advanced purchase A/P/G fares for the same route.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
As long as they come after Medallion upgrades I think this is a positive change.
I agree as well, although it still bugs me that FOs on award tickets and even Diamonds on AMEX companion tickets get left out in the cold. Although in my experience, I'm so rarely upgraded as GM that I don't see this change having any effect on me.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
S/H/Q/K fares really get the squeeze, especially on shorter routes. $50 became $119. $75 became $149. $100 became $209.

Also interesting that they are keeping the old pricing for many flights to/from the Caribbean.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by The Weekly Flyer
Delta is at it again, this time with a minor change to their paid standby upgrade program.

While there was no formal announcement from Delta, I thought I would share the news with you.

Delta recently updated their paid standby upgrade program March 1st. Before you would only upgrade on a K+ fare, but now they are adding paid upgrades to L, U, T, X, and V fares in addition to K+ fares. However, the price for these paid upgrades is dependent on the fare class.

Another major change when it comes to paid upgrades is that they are not allowing them on their JFK-Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle flights.

Feel free to check out my post for all the details on this change.
I bet you they will soon. Or maybe those seats are all reserved for non-revs.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:11 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thirtyfour
I agree as well, although it still bugs me that FOs on award tickets and even Diamonds on AMEX companion tickets get left out in the cold. Although in my experience, I'm so rarely upgraded as GM that I don't see this change having any effect on me.
I agree - I wonder if there would be interest in a "co-pay" upgrade option for FOs on award tickets or companions?

The routes/times I fly offer the stand-by upgrade option so infrequently that I don't see it being used that much anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:37 pm

Makes sense that they don't allow these paid standby upgrades on their transcons out of JFK now either.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree this is a positive change. I've long wondered why Delta refused to take money for seats that would otherwise go unsold. The prices for the low fares are a bit steep, but if people are willing to pay it, and upgrades have been processed...then I'm all for it.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:52 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I think the only time I've ever paid for an upgrade was to Hawaii, but now that these now upgrade eligible, I personally couldn't see myself paying for these.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think the only time I've ever paid for an upgrade was to Hawaii, but now that these now upgrade eligible, I personally couldn't see myself paying for these.
Delta corporate offices...please take notice of this post. Unlimited Medallion upgrades HAVE to go!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Delta corporate offices...please take notice of this post. Unlimited Medallion upgrades HAVE to go!
You really think they need someone from FT to show them that a policy needs to be changed?

Delta just recently starting allowing upgrades on Hawaii flights (except ATL). Why would they go back and change it? Do you not think they put any thought into that decision?

Personally, I think it would be nice if they had made the medallion program more customized. Let medallions choose whether they would like HNL upgrades or JFk transcon upgrades for that year. Upgrades on both routes seem to happen so rarely anyway that I think it would be nice to at least provide an illusion that we have some say in our benefits.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I wonder what the upg %will be? even DMs will have less then 50 50 odds.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by troyintn
I wonder what the upg %will be? even DMs will have less then 50 50 odds.
I hope they FCM the sh*t out of these markets.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM,
Or give them to Non-Rev's

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I hope they FCM the sh*t out of these markets.
My boss's husband and kids have turned all their connections out of JFK to west coast and so far their batting 1000% on FC seating! Hooray for them, they deserve it.
Also, I had a strange one two days ago. I completed 22 segments in just over 2 months. Mainly K fares+. I am 1 for 22 on upgrades as a PM. I had a death in the family and need to get to DCA. Purchased last minute Y fare, No upgrade availability at the purchase time. Secured the BFU in ATL, sat in EC from DCA. Was printing out my last 18 months of flight history for an AA status match when I noticed that I was listed on the return as class Y, flown RU. Contacted the PM desk, went round robin for about 20 minutes, asked nicely if they could at least confirm who they showed in my EC seat........DL PM confirmed "Non-Rev" while I was on a FULL Y ticket. Call it what you want, this is not right. DL PM asked to write to Corporate Customer care.....The letter is already sent "Certified" return receipt.....CC'ed to CE Woolman's desk. I now my 18 months of $34K(Out of Pocket expenses) is "chump" change to you HVC, but I have to believe if enough of us LVC decide to become Free Agents, DL has to take notice.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:05 am

Can we please stop all the link-spam to these crappy blogs and just link directly to the source?
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.