Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to reduce availability of lower cost international business fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to reduce availability of lower cost international business fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wish they would offer a real premium economy cabin with domestic F style seats. There just has to be a way to be profitable in between luxury and total discomfort (and EC does not cut it on long hauls).
Wouldn't even need to be mainline F style seats. The F seats in CRJ700 and CRJ900s aren't quite as big but would still be great for a long haul flight compared to standard Y.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Look at that. A DL-apologist showed up.
Consolidation is NOT necessary. Look at Europe where they have 4 TIMES AS MANY AIRLINES! Not to mention the competition the numerous HighSpeed Rail operators provide.

Europe: 57 airlines!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ines_in_Europe
North America: 15 airlines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America
Well, Europe does have 47 countries compared to North America's 23 (Not including territories).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by knit-in
More coach seats for those esteemed HVCs!??!?!!
What makes you think that many of Delta's most HVC's don't buy international coach tickets? I don't think it's even debatable that last-minute coach fares are more profitable than deeply discounted BE fares.
Consolidation is NOT necessary. Look at Europe where they have 4 TIMES AS MANY AIRLINES! Not to mention the competition the numerous HighSpeed Rail operators provide.

Europe: 57 airlines!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ines_in_Europe
North America: 15 airlines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America
Those lists are not comparable, there are airlines in North America much bigger not on that list than some of the European airlines that are on that list. Also note that they count Turkey as being European (which I'm not saying is wrong, but should be footnoted).
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I keep hearing that, until recently, the airline industry as a whole never earned a return on its invested capital, lost untold billions of dollars, etc. This I don't doubt.

Yet during this time, planes kept being purchased, fleets grew, passengers carried and miles flown increased, safety improved, and certain carriers were consistently profitable.
Certain carriers? Only one carrier in the United States has been consistently profitable for more than a few years.

The reality is that other than Southwest Airlines no other airline in the United States has proven that their business model is sustainable over time, so while this doesn't prove that consolidation has worked to improve the industry as a whole, by the same token I don't think anyone can say definitively consolidation has not worked.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I think perhaps Americans need to learn the hard way that there are some industries that need to be regulated.
No. As unpleasant as some of the changes at DL have been, it would only be worse if the government were running the show. The US government rarely does anything well. Some of us prefer that the government stays out of our lives as much as possible.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Beckles
What makes you think that many of Delta's most HVC's don't buy international coach tickets? I don't think it's even debatable that last-minute coach fares are more profitable than deeply discounted BE fares.
Agreed.

Just saying that the value proposition isn't mutually beneficial. Maybe I am wrong and this isn't planet Earth, but I am almost certain that HVCs would rather buy BE than Coach for their buck, and DL seems to be reducing that choice, for their own benefit.

Not saying they shouldn't (they're a business for profit and all), but rather that the alleged HVCs on these Delta boards, buying celebratory rounds for eachother, need to be aware that according to what seems to be the plan, these HVCs will be sitting in the Economy Class seats that the Low Value riffraff are leaving behind!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I wonder how this impacts the TATL JV with AF and KL. Will they also be eliminating these discounted airfares, reconfiguring their planes, etc.?
Interesting question. The TATL business fares ex Eu are actually set by AF/KL, not DL. I can't imaging that this will change, taking away the ability to react to BA/LH C class sales.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Interesting question. The TATL business fares ex Eu are actually set by AF/KL, not DL. I can't imaging that this will change, taking away the ability to react to BA/LH C class sales.
While the fares may be set by AF/KL, who sets the availability of fare buckets? My understanding is that much of what is being talked about here is availability between fare buckets more so than the fares themselves. In other words there are going to be the same deeply discounted BE fares published, but availability of such fares will be much harder to actually find on flights.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
And how are those airlines in Europe doing???
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
While the fares may be set by AF/KL, who sets the availability of fare buckets? My understanding is that much of what is being talked about here is availability between fare buckets more so than the fares themselves. In other words there are going to be the same deeply discounted BE fares published, but availability of such fares will be much harder to actually find on flights.
I guess all carriers combined? It was relativly easy finding seats on DL operated flights with "Z" tickets in the past ex-EU. Keep in mind that the joint venture is "metal-neutral" so DL would not be able to black out their flights from these fares without agreement by AF/KL/AZ.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
No. As unpleasant as some of the changes at DL have been, it would only be worse if the government were running the show. The US government rarely does anything well. Some of us prefer that the government stays out of our lives as much as possible.
This anti government Tea Party rhetoric is the reason we have the worst service these days in the US as big business can do whatever they want. You do realize Delta get goverment handouts left right and center like all US airlines and in return offer worse service and higher prices than European airlines. Why is it such a problem to regulate us airlines yet ok to subsidize them?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
This anti government Tea Party rhetoric is the reason we have the worst service these days in the US as big business can do whatever they want. You do realize Delta get goverment handouts left right and center like all US airlines and in return offer worse service and higher prices than European airlines. Why is it such a problem to regulate us airlines yet ok to subsidize them?
I don't agree with the taxpayer subsidizing any business. It's sink or swim. I just can't believe so many trust the government to take care of them. Please tell me one government service that provides an enjoyable experience. I'll stop there before this turns into something that belongs in Bad Omni.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Wouldn't even need to be mainline F style seats. The F seats in CRJ700 and CRJ900s aren't quite as big but would still be great for a long haul flight compared to standard Y.
Other airlines are having good success with Premium Economy and its time DL had such a cabin.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by mikepa
Other airlines are having good success with Premium Economy and its time DL had such a cabin.
Yes! At least thats a half decent alternative if the J cabin is full.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I wonder how this impacts the TATL JV with AF and KL. Will they also be eliminating these discounted airfares, reconfiguring their planes, etc.?
AF has already announced they are adopting herringbone style J seats, starting with the 777 fleet. I imagine that will further reduce J capacity.

Super-expensive J + Super-uncomfortable Y (including EC) is pushing me to W for INTL travel now.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Why don't you try to cram 10 across in the 777...
You really don't think Delta will do this in the next year or two?
They are all about squeezing every penny out of a flight now. This would only make sense.

(They would have gone 7 across in the 777-900s if they could figure out how to go without the center aisle.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.