Wiki Posts
Search

Awful new skymiles, DL reposnse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Awful new skymiles, DL reposnse

I know this is a canned response, as I saw it word for word on another thread I cant seem to find now. Still thought I would share it below.

Here are my comments on the DL contact form, followed by their response. Never expected to do any good, but I still believe in being heard. BTW, I like Delta. I really like Delta, but this time I'm done. Not sure what the future holds for the other airlines, but for now I will earn miles elsewhere for as long as I can. Some of you feel differently about that and suggest people like me stop whining. Good luck to you.

Message: Absolutely disgusted with delta and the 2015 skymiles program.
Further disgusted with the insulting way it has been rolled out with the insinuation that this is an improvement for us, going so far to state this is something your medallion members asked for. Your comparison calculator is intentionally misleading, as class bonus or status bonus is not included in the current calculation of rdm's, which inaccurately helps the new method appear less bad. That is deceptive and not representative of who delta claims to be. As a result I question Mr Anderson's claim that delta is a company of integrity. I do appreciate, however the many delta employees I connect with that help make travel a pleasure. But for now I'm certain American Airlines has a place for me in their program.

Dear Crossin Jordan,

Thank you for contacting us about the 2015 SkyMiles program.

We apologize that you are unhappy with our new SkyMiles changes for 2015. This is part of our plan to make the Medallion program more exclusive. Customers who spend more with Delta will receive more miles, and customers who purchase lower fares will still receive a great value for their ticket. This model, based on dollars spent, is common for many businesses, including those in the travel industry. Hotels and rental car companies have used it for some time, and other airlines are also moving in this direction. We regret the inconvenience this may caused you.

Please see full details of this change in the link below.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s-program.html

Crossin Jordan, I realize you are disappointed by the changes, and trust you will understand our position. We truly hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of choice.

Sincerely,

Dxxxx Rxxxx
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:22 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Equating Delta's CEO to integrity would be like trying to fit Krispy Kreme's and a double Whopper into a Weight Watchers program.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I am a medallion member, and have been for many years. Yes, many times I begged DL to make changes similar to the changes that are being made. Maybe not all medallion members were requesting these changes, but DL is not inaccurate when they claim there was consumer request for this.

It's astounding how many of you don't realize how unfair the previous system was to those of us who spend buckets of money but fly short distances. If you really thought it through, you'd realize how unfairly scr*wed segments qualifiers have been under the old system and how much fairer this system is for everyone. The old system wasn't fair, nor was it something handed down to Moses at Mt. Sinai. The revamp was a long time coming. While you can argue that it is different, and that cheap seat buying medallions are losing the avalanche of SMs that was previously rained upon them, and even that it's needlessly complicated to bifurcate RDM and MQM methodology, you cannot argue that the new system is "disgusting." Please. Words like that are the last resort of those who don't have rational points to make.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
CJKatl, I agree with you. I do wish that the numbers were higher though for multipliers. But, what can you do.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
What did you expect from a pig but a grunt?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:00 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
It's fine to express your dissatisfaction, but what kind of response were you expecting?

"We're sorry, you're right. It sucks. Let's change it."?

I don't like the change as it will negatively impact me (assuming redemptions stay the same) but I am trying not to take it personally. I understand it is a business decision.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by HongKonger
The DL response -- albeit canned -- is clear, concise and to the point. Whether you like the substance or not, there is nothing wrong with the way it is framed.

Rewarding those who spend more with more may be something you personally wish had not happened because you are personally a net loser under the new system, but it's good practice and for every loser there will be a winner.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Seriously?

This morning, I purchased a coach r/t to Asia for $1,200, about $800 of which actually goes to DL. I'll get almost 50k RDMs, which is equivalent to 2 r/t redemptions.

Last month, I flew ATL-MDW on two one ways that totaled $950 in fares. For that, I got 2,500 RDMs.

How can anyone look at that and think the old system was fair, made sense or shouldn't be fixed? What kind of logic makes people use words like "disgusting" and "pig" to describe the people who are running a business and realize their marketing plan doesn't make sense?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Rewarding those who spend more with more may be something you personally wish had not happened because you are personally a net loser under the new system, but it's good practice and for every loser there will be a winner.
What will "winners" be getting, specifically?

A "more exclusive experience" is marketing guile.

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I am a medallion member, and have been for many years. Yes, many times I begged DL to make changes similar to the changes that are being made. Maybe not all medallion members were requesting these changes, but DL is not inaccurate when they claim there was consumer request for this.

It's astounding how many of you don't realize how unfair the previous system was to those of us who spend buckets of money but fly short distances. If you really thought it through, you'd realize how unfairly scr*wed segments qualifiers have been under the old system and how much fairer this system is for everyone. The old system wasn't fair, nor was it something handed down to Moses at Mt. Sinai. The revamp was a long time coming. While you can argue that it is different, and that cheap seat buying medallions are losing the avalanche of SMs that was previously rained upon them, and even that it's needlessly complicated to bifurcate RDM and MQM methodology, you cannot argue that the new system is "disgusting." Please. Words like that are the last resort of those who don't have rational points to make.
The argument that the change to the SM earning program makes Skymiles medallion more "exclusive" is an outright lie. The MQD system did that. The process to calculate the number of RDMs earned is independent of the process used to calculate the number of MQMs earned. Elite status is a function of MQMs, not RDMs.

The benefit to segment fliers is fiction. You still need 125K MQMs to get DM plus 12,500 dollars in spend or an AMex card spend. I'll take a hit in RDMs even though my spend is just short of 3X the dignity line and my MQMs are north of 200k a year and RDMs at about 500K.

Going forward in 2015, the devaluation is in part due to Q and K fares transcon at $700 RT earning 8000 RDMs as opposed to 14000 currently earned on this trip....one I do monthly. I do come out ahead on the TATLs in BE. Currently it's 30k RDMs and will be twice that in the new system. The end result though is likely a 30% RDM loss or more across my trips overall.

I'm a realist but I am far from stupid. I can do math in my head. Delta, absent a significant improvement in low level FF tickets I'm the VFF who is the backbone of your business model yet the one getting the short end of the stick.

Given my spend, I would have thought DL could have done a little more not to penalize me the way they did. These RDMs make my family's vacation travel their reward for their willingness to not have daddy home two out of four weeks every month.

Aren't you the one that throws a fit everyone someone "insults" you?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The DL response -- albeit canned -- is clear, concise and to the point. Whether you like the substance or not, there is nothing wrong with the way it is framed.

And that is the fallacy. The overall system will generate less RDMs in the new method. It's very simple math. The winner is Delta, not the traveling public. Sure, a few will get more...specifically those paying high dollars for short trips and those flying international in BE. The weekly DM road warrior spending $500 or so on a six leg set of hops of 5000 miles total takes a hit of 50%.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I think perhaps HongKonger was referring to the response from DL.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Seriously?

This morning, I purchased a coach r/t to Asia for $1,200, about $800 of which actually goes to DL. I'll get almost 50k RDMs, which is equivalent to 2 r/t redemptions.

Last month, I flew ATL-MDW on two one ways that totaled $950 in fares. For that, I got 2,500 RDMs.

How can anyone look at that and think the old system was fair, made sense or shouldn't be fixed? What kind of logic makes people use words like "disgusting" and "pig" to describe the people who are running a business and realize their marketing plan doesn't make sense?
The new system screws you and you don't even get it. Your Asia round trip gets you 50 k today and one fifth that in 2015 . You need to fly the short legged flight almost 6 times to make up the lost RDMs.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum
I received a similar message:

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding recent changes announced
for the SkyMiles program in 2015. I'm sorry that you feel your loyalty
is unvalued.

After reading your comments, I understand why you wanted to bring this
matter to our attention. Delta is committed to making flying better for
our customers. True to this commitment, we're improving the SkyMiles
program by making it easier for all members to use their miles, while
better recognizing and rewarding customers who purchase high-value
tickets. Earning miles or points abased on dollars spent, is the
standard for many loyalty programs, including credit cards, hotels and
other airlines. As a Platinum Medallion member, you will earn 9 miles
per dollar spent on Delta flights. We're confident these changes are the
right decision for Delta and for our customers.

I will share your feedback directly with our SkyMiles leadership team.
Your feedback is valued and considered when making changes or updating
our processes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about this
announcement. We value your loyalty as a Platinum Medallion. We will
always be grateful when you choose Delta.

Regards,

You Share, We Care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.