Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How does 2015 skymiles changes affect Delta Vacations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does 2015 skymiles changes affect Delta Vacations?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Impact of 2015 skymiles changes on Delta Vacations?

So it's been discussed over and over that you did not get MQD's on Delta Vacation flights but starting in 2015 since we don't earn MQD's will we not earn miles as well? As of now you still earn miles and MQM's but no MQD's which sounds like you need to have MQD's to figure out miles in 2015.

Ok before i get hammered by the crowd i did find this:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html

FOR TRAVEL ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 2015
Examples of exception fares for travel on or after January 1, 2015 include:
Bulk fares
Consolidator fares
Cruise fares
Vacation packages, including Delta Vacations® packages
Discounted or inclusive tour packages
Other tickets where the fare is not disclosed (i.e. opaque fares)
These exception fares will earn the following percentage of distance flown:

Business/First - J, C, D, I, Z, F, P, A, G
150%

As published at Earn with Delta and Earn with Airline Partners

No MQDs earned
Premium Economy - Y, B, M, W4
100%
Economy and Discounted Economy - S, H, Q, K, L
75%
Deeply Discounted Economy - U, T, X, V, E
50%

Last edited by MNAudiS4; Feb 27, 2014 at 6:22 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The chart in that link says that for 2015 most DL flights booked through DV will earn 50% - 75% RDMs (depending on fare category) based on distance flown. So if I fly ATL-HNL booked directly with DL I'll earn RDMs based on airfare x multiplier depending on status, but if I fly the same route booked on DL through DV I'll earn RDMs as a percentage of actual distance flown depending on fare category? And of course, no MQDs for the DV-booked flight. This seems absurdly complex, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pointed out the DL Vacations earning in that other long thread. Note that Medallions also get bonus redeemable miles --

"Miles based on a percentage of distance flown. 500-mile minimum does not apply. Medallion members are eligible for the following Medallion mileage bonuses: Diamond - 120% of miles awarded or distance flown (whichever is less); Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%, Silver - 40%."

So a long, cheap trip booked via DL Vacations could earn substantially more redeemable miles. For example a 20,000 mile roundtrip to SIN or CPT could earn up to 22,000 redeemable miles (for a Diamond) via a DL Vacations trip (assuming booked in the lowest fare buckets). If that flight was purchased as a $1000 standalone fare, the max would be 13,000 redeemable miles for a Diamond with the Amex card.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
I pointed out the DL Vacations earning in that other long thread. Note that Medallions also get bonus redeemable miles --

"Miles based on a percentage of distance flown. 500-mile minimum does not apply. Medallion members are eligible for the following Medallion mileage bonuses: Diamond - 120% of miles awarded or distance flown (whichever is less); Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%, Silver - 40%."

So a long, cheap trip booked via DL Vacations could earn substantially more redeemable miles. For example a 20,000 mile roundtrip to SIN or CPT could earn up to 22,000 redeemable miles (for a Diamond) via a DL Vacations trip (assuming booked in the lowest fare buckets). If that flight was purchased as a $1000 standalone fare, the max would be 13,000 redeemable miles for a Diamond with the Amex card.
This is also how I read it (and it should be true with TA fares as well, any opaque or bulk fares not just DV). Not sure if it will be easy to do something like that but definitely leaves options open in certain situations (mostly long, cheap flights as you said)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.