Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta introduces new revenue program for earn, one-way awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Universal link to SkyMiles 2015 changes

2015 SkyMiles Program

PDF Version

Everything begins January 1, 2015 on Delta marketed flights with DL code and 006 tickets.

Medallion Qualification - Same as 2014.

MQM or MQS stays at the qualification criteria for all members except US based where MQD is added.
Rollover MQMs to stay.
Current benefits to stay...? Remains unclear until the benefits are published for the following year.
Miles don't expire

Earn Award Miles - Drastically changed.

Non Medallion - 5 Miles/$1
Silver - 7 Miles/$1
Gold - 8 Miles/$1
Platinum - 9 Miles/$1
Diamond - 11 Miles/$1

Credit Card miles earning remains unchanged. Depending on the card you hold you may earn up to 2 miles/$1. Until the new award rates are out it remains as mystery on whether using a Delta credit card is better or worse.

Partner flights will earn on a percentage of distance flown and fare class paid...? Remains unclear until more information is out.

All fares paid by other currency will be converted to USD based on IATA 5-day currency exchange rate at the time of ticketing. Then apply the same rate listed above.

Existing miles to stay with no changes.

Miles + Cash are AWARD tickets. Medallions can get free upgrades.

Redeem Miles - New 2015 Award Chart

No blackout dates on Delta flights...? No blackout dates on DL-operated flights as per the FAQ.
More award seat availability...?
Five award levels
Miles + Cash offer available
One-way awards at half of round trip rate
New award calendar
Print Wikipost

Delta introduces new revenue program for earn, one-way awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by tkey75
But.....as mentioned above, the chart is published so in reality you do in fact know the rules.
We do? Where are you reading the 2015 award travel fare/routing rules? So are stopovers still alowed on round trips? What about on open jaws (two one ways)? What about on one ways?

And you say that we know the pricing, so then how much will it cost in 2015 for a flight, say, Japan to Korea? Or China to EU? Or EU to Africa? Or... ?

None of this information is released, nothing is published and available, other than a small percentage (under 7%) of the award travel pricing, without the routing rules (which is very important, as without the rules the small fraction of award pricing showed now is not very meaningful) or even it being disclosed under which level do non-DL/ST flights fall.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
We do? Where are you reading the 2015 award travel fare/routing rules? So are stopovers still alowed on round trips? What about on open jaws (two one ways)? What about on one ways?

And you say that we know the pricing, so then how much will it cost in 2015 for a flight, say, Japan to Korea? Or China to EU? Or EU to Africa? Or... ?

None of this information is released, nothing is published and available, other than a small percentage (under 7%) of the award travel pricing, without the routing rules (which is very important, as without the rules the small fraction of award pricing showed now is not very meaningful) or even it being disclosed under which level do non-DL/ST flights fall.
If you want to live each day being scared of term changes tommorow, you can just leave. As AirTran's slogan once was: "Go. There's nothing stopping you."
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mooper
This thread goes on and on, but all it boils down to is that Delta took the decision to give 20+ CPM flyers more and <20 CPM flyers less*. You'll be happy or sad depending upon which side of the price your patterns fall. It's not an issue or morality nor ethics, and anyone who doesn't like it is free to graze in pastures they deem greener. ...
I almost think this simple post needs a thread to itself, and the other dozen threads on this subject merged into a single useless thread.

I am a loser, if that is enough to change any of my flying patterns, so be it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mooper
If I'm reading correctly, there are 42 price decreases and just 2 price increases (both modest, to the top "peak" tier only, and domestic only). They'e promised to increase availability at the lower levels, so even if they don't follow through and availability stays the same, this is an overall *extremely* good change.

Looks like the fears expressed earlier in this thread weren't warranted, though I'm sure many will figure out a way to spin this very positive news into a negative.

Well, this is a happy day. I would say that either UA comes on board with similar changes, or I may consider a status match and move to DL next year.... plenty of business travel = $$$ = more miles in this program than I will get with current UA Mileage Plus program. Gonna be interesting to see if the rest of the pack follows suit.

Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:46 pm

Just checked delta.com and one-way awards are still pricing double for 2015. Has a date been given for when one-way awards at 1/2 the miles will take effect?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sspontak
Just checked delta.com and one-way awards are still pricing double for 2015. Has a date been given for when one-way awards at 1/2 the miles will take effect?
1/1/2015
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Well, this is a happy day. I would say that either UA comes on board with similar changes, or I may consider a status match and move to DL next year.... plenty of business travel = $$$ = more miles in this program than I will get with current UA Mileage Plus program. Gonna be interesting to see if the rest of the pack follows suit.

Business travel does not necessarily correlate to expensive fares-I have a fare for 2050 RMB before tax (it priced as 3500 or so including YQ.) for a TPAC flt and my TPAC is already confirmed outbound with eVIP.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Miles that are very difficult to use...
Business travel does not necessarily correlate to expensive fares-I have a fare for 2050 RMB before tax (it priced as 3500 or so including YQ.) for a TPAC flt and my TPAC is already confirmed outbound with eVIP.
How the heck AA makes money in $570 a.i. Fare ?? Is this one way ?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 787fan
How the heck AA makes money in $570 a.i. Fare ?? Is this one way ?
RT booked in N class, no manipulation of the ticket was done in any way.
SHA JL X/TYO AA X/LAX AA X/WAS AA NYC AA X/CHI AA X/TYO AA SHA is the complete itinerary.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
As I suspected, DL might change the earn ratio for it's flights when crediting to partners. Looking at the AS page, there is a note that the current earn rates are only till 12/31/14:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-airlines.html

I bet they will reduce it at partners, so that cheap ticket, long distance flyers will not fly DL and credit elsewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by UA Fan
As I suspected, DL might change the earn ratio for it's flights when crediting to partners. Looking at the AS page, there is a note that the current earn rates are only till 12/31/14:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-airlines.html

I bet they will reduce it at partners, so that cheap ticket, long distance flyers will not fly DL and credit elsewhere.
Wouldn't the earn rate for partners be more at the discretion of partners, and not DL?

I don't know the behind the scenes stuff, it just seems to me that the airline that owns the program has greater (or complete?) control over how it will distribute miles/points within their program.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Wouldn't the earn rate for partners be more at the discretion of partners, and not DL?

I don't know the behind the scenes stuff, it just seems to me that the airline that owns the program has greater (or complete?) control over how it will distribute miles/points within their program.
I think DL will have some say as people could fly DL and credit elsewhere which incurs outward cash flow (since DL will have to pay the partner a certain amount to credit miles).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think DL will have some say as people could fly DL and credit elsewhere which incurs outward cash flow (since DL will have to pay the partner a certain amount to credit miles).
Ahh. What'll be interesting is if DL tries to stipulate a lower earn rate and the partners refuse - possibly severing the earnings connection entirely (maybe we'll start seeing Group 5 partners, yay seamless SkyTeam ).

Anyway - I suppose we'll wait and see.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Ahh. What'll be interesting is if DL tries to stipulate a lower earn rate and the partners refuse - possibly severing the earnings connection entirely (maybe we'll start seeing Group 5 partners, yay seamless SkyTeam ).

Anyway - I suppose we'll wait and see.
The AS partnership is already on it's last legs, and DL seems to be getting rid of non-ST partners. The partners especially those on competing routes will also be happy to award less miles. For instance if AF could give miles based on DL wishes, the same route would give an AF member more miles on AF metal rather than DL metal and that customer would have one more reason to opt for AF metal.

Looks like a win-win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.