Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does this violate the Delta rules?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Does this violate the Delta rules?

I want to take my daughter to Den from Atl on June 16th and pick her up on June 30th using an AMEX companion ticket. Will Delta get cranky if I also buy a roundtrip Den-Atl ticket for myself leaving Den on June 17th and returning June 29th? Actually I'd also love to fly with my wife from Atl-Ams on June 20th- June 27th while my daughter is at camp.

Many thanks to anyone who can let me know if flying inside other tickets like this violates Delta rules.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
You'd need to check the specific fare rules. Others will be more knowledgeable than I am, but I don't think that nested ticketing is against the rules by default.

However, but if your ATL-DEN-ATL fare contains a Saturday night stay requirement, then it seems that this would violate that particular fare rule.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
1 Jun. 16 ATL-DEN
2 Jun. 17 DEN-ATL
3 Jun. 20 ATL-AMS
3 Jun. 27 AMS-ATL
2 Jun. 29 ATL-DEN
1 Jun. 30 DEN-ATL

Assuming I've followed you correctly (as above), you basically have itineraries nested in one another. I am pretty sure you should be able to do this.
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
That would appear to be back-to-back ticketing, though the reason you're booking it like that is not to circumvent minimum stay requirements. Is booking it that way less expensive than booking two round-trips June 17/18 and June 29/30? Flying ATL-AMS would not be back-to-back ticketing, that would not be an issue.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:32 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by Beckles
That would appear to be back-to-back ticketing, though the reason you're booking it like that is not to circumvent minimum stay requirements. Is booking it that way less expensive than booking two round-trips June 16/17 and June 29/30? Flying ATL-AMS would not be back-to-back ticketing, that would not be an issue.
If he booked two RT tickets for June 16/17 and June 29/30 he wouldn't be able to use the companion cert with his daugther on the June 17/30 flights.

EDIT: Bolding in your post is mine to show corrected dates.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
If he booked two RT tickets for June 17/18 and June 29/30 he wouldn't be able to use the companion cert with his daugther on the June 17/30 flights.
I am aware of that. Ultimately the crux of the rule is Delta wants to prevent people from doing what is proposed to circumvent minimum stay to get cheaper tickets, so my question is does his proposed itinerary actually do that, and the quick way to check that is compare the prices each way.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This raises an interesting question: If it turns out that there is an issue with minimum or Saturday night stay, it at least appears that OP has a legitimate reason/need to book the tickets in this way.

Even without the companion ticket, perhaps he needs to be on the same PNR as his daughter for the June 16/30 trip to make it easier to not have her flagged as a UM (assuming she's younger).

Would OP just need to book into a higher fare class that does not have those restrictions?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I am aware of that. Ultimately the crux of the rule is Delta wants to prevent people from doing what is proposed to circumvent minimum stay to get cheaper tickets, so my question is does his proposed itinerary actually do that, and the quick way to check that is compare the prices each way.
Several years ago my company got a warning on "nested" tickets and from what I recall your risk here is on tickets 1 and 2 and outlined in rwoman's post. However, we got the warning after our TA had been booking them for MONTHS for a lot of us so if you do it once you are probably safe. I have done a lot of weekends in between on different tickets and never had an issue simply because the nested looks for tickets to the same destination. So that trip to AMS won't even raise the "flag"

(And we got around the warning by just doing the nesting on two tickets. So ticket one was on Delta with a Monday depart and return two weeks later and the weekend home in between was on AA LOL!)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
(And we got around the warning by just doing the nesting on two tickets. So ticket one was on Delta with a Monday depart and return two weeks later and the weekend home in between was on AA LOL!)
You would certainly not raise any flags if the nested trip was on a different carrier altogether. But I assume that OP is interested in keeping all their flights on DL as it sounds like that is his primary airline (also, likely to have more nonstops out of ATL).
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Highly unlikely to raise any flags. I have done this before for work when I had to fly A to B for an extended stay, then while at location B get told to fly to C for a day then Back to B to finish the original trip. This has happened several times and has never been flagged. None of the tickets have been restricted fares so that may have been the reason but unless the companion ticket rules require a certain stay then the OP should be able to do what he has indicated without issue.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as others have pointed out in this and other threads, Sat night stayover requirements for domestic tix are few and far between ... I'm not speaking from any recent experience but I certainly don't see that DL will give OP any pushback
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22
as others have pointed out in this and other threads, Sat night stayover requirements for domestic tix are few and far between ... I'm not speaking from any recent experience but I certainly don't see that DL will give OP any pushback
The AMS trip is inconsequential. It's the nested ATL den trips where the problem lies. Technically it's a nested itinerary and violates the COC. Will delta give you a hard time is a question for delta, not FT.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
I actually seem to see quite a few Sat night or minimum stay requirements on domestic tix, particularly of the TXV variety that I'd assume are the likely booking classes if OP is using a companion cert and booking this far in advance.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Based on what I can see in EF, the only ATL-DEN fares currently published that have min/max stay restrictions (and there are only 2) expire 4/9 and 5/21, so wouldn't be valid for OP's dates of travel anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Nested tickets

Seems to me the best approach would be to describe what you are doing even quoting the pricing and then send the question to Delta. If you get an OK then keep the reply as proof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.