Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Southeast Winter Weather Critical Alert Issued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
RDU is probably having/fixing to have weather similar to CLT.

Today in CLT we're expecting 1"-2" (it's snowing heavily at the moment, but the streets are clear). Tomorrow and Thursday are going to suck like a vacuum cleaner though. I would bite the bullet and take the CR2 from CVG-RDU tonight and get in while it's still reasonably clear.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd worry that the small plane from CVG is more likely to be cancelled. DTW can deal with whatever, so the issues are BDL and RDU, where BDL should be pretty decent at handling winter weather. Is there not some alternative longer but early routing that keeps you on mainline or at least larger RJs?
Yeah, I thought of that - the smaller plane issue. DTW-RDU would be a larger CRJ and a slightly earlier departure/later arrival, but appears to have sold out.

BDL can certainly handle snow but not in the quantities that they are predicting for Thursday. 1-3 inches here seems to be biz as usual, but 8+ and things close for a while. Last Wed most of the flights out of here were cancelled, esp in the morning/afternoon, and it took them the better part of a day to dig out once the snow stopped in the late afternoon. Add in the chaos that is going to result from the ATL mess that is starting, and it may be a day or two before I could get re-accommodated out of here if the Thurs flights get cancelled. Not a lot of flights and they tend to run really full on Thurs/Fri.

It looks like RDU is going to miss the worst of it today, so getting in there tonight may be my best bet. Still checking with the PTB here to see if they'll let me leave!

I wonder how crew schedules work for the Lima flights. Do they get a full day of rest at LIM or turnaround and work the next flight? That might be part of the explanation. [For ATL-EZE with a morning arrival, my impression is that overlapping crews spend a night at Buenos Aires. ATL-LIM might be similar.]
AFAIK, they get a day of rest there and then work the flight back on the following day. I talked to some of the crew about that when I was flying that route fairly regularly.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at connecting through MSP to RDU? We're expecting only an inch of snow late tonight and early tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, which is trivial here. It might not be a legal routing, but I would expect DL to allow it in IROPs and with weather waivers left and right this winter. Last time I did this flight, some were mainline and some CRJ-900s with meals served IIRC. The frequency is pretty decent.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:25 am

Have you looked at connecting through MSP to RDU? We're expecting only an inch of snow late tonight and early tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, which is trivial here. It might not be a legal routing, but I would expect DL to allow it in IROPs and with weather waivers left and right this winter. Last time I did this flight, some were mainline and some CRJ-900s with meals served IIRC. The frequency is pretty decent.
I got authorization from work and rebooked through CVG already via the website, for tonight, with no change fee. I may try to give a call or check at the airport to see if that's a possibility. I would bet the DM line has quite a wait today so the ticketing agent at BDL may be my best bet.

ETA: Checked and MSP has nothing that would work that I could still make the flight. There's a 2:30 MSP-BDL but it's too late for me to have a hope of getting to BDL in time. The later MSP-BDL makes it so I'd miss all possible connections to RDU. Boo.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by kitkat77; Feb 11, 2014 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I am at SAV, DL is apparently repositioning fifteen to twenty planes and crews here today.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As of about nine months ago, BDL-MSP was three or four daily non stops on either mainline (DC-9 to A319 or MD88?) or the CRJ-900, again with meals served in FC at mealtimes.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:40 am

As of about nine months ago, BDL-MSP was three or four daily non stops on either mainline (DC-9 to A319 or MD88?) or the CRJ-900, again with meals served in FC at mealtimes.
I just checked flightstats and all I saw for the afternoon/evening was a 2:30-4:30pm (sold out and no way I'd get there in time anyhow) and a 6:45-8:55pm. MSP-RDU has one flight, 7:18-10:50pm.

I may be able to do a 4:20-10:16pm BDL-DTW-RDU, but not sure if getting in later will make it less likely that it will land? The BDL-CVG-RDU is 5-9:21pm
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:47 am

What aircraft are used on the BDL-DTW-RDU route? The difference in arrival time is less than an hour.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Booked LGA-RDU tonight on the last flight in. Hopefully they don't cancel since the plane RON in RDU
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
What aircraft are used on the BDL-DTW-RDU route? The difference in arrival time is less than an hour.
Still, in a storm an hour can make a difference. I'd stick with the earlier arrival time rather than trying to get a First Class seat on a pair of 75 minute flights (let alone going through MSP just to get a meal).
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:59 am

Looks like E175 and A320.

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Booked LGA-RDU tonight on the last flight in. Hopefully they don't cancel since the plane RON in RDU
Based on the forecast right now, it looks as though the weather in RDU stops from 5PM tonight until sometime early tomorrow AM, so hopefully we're both okay.

Originally Posted by mersk862
Still, in a storm an hour can make a difference. I'd stick with the earlier arrival time rather than trying to get a First Class seat on a pair of 75 minute flights (let alone going through MSP just to get a meal).
No FC available on either, and I don't really care anyhow. It's getting there that matters today and I fully get MSPEconomist's point that the smaller aircraft may have less chance of getting in/out.

It's all a gamble!!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:59 pm
gb6

We've yet to see a snowflake or sprinkle in RDU yet today. I'm still hoping to escape RDU-DTW-SFO at 1225 tomorrow.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:05 pm

So the southern alert covers airports south of Richmond, VA, and the northern alert they just issued covers airports north of Richmond, but Richmond is not in either so Delta won't let me rebook without paying $600 fare change.
So much for the 6 to 8 inches they are supposed to get there, I guess i'll use my last remaining points on southwest to get home
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by shelhed217
So the southern alert covers airports south of Richmond, VA, and the northern alert they just issued covers airports north of Richmond, but Richmond is not in either so Delta won't let me rebook without paying $600 fare change.
So much for the 6 to 8 inches they are supposed to get there, I guess i'll use my last remaining points on southwest to get home
Have you tried to check what DL flights are available, call and ask nicely, and either HUCA or escalate to a supervisor?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
DFW-ATL was canceled for tomorrow. Do you think a 6:00 AM Thursday flight will take off?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
DFW-ATL was canceled for tomorrow. Do you think a 6:00 AM Thursday flight will take off?
There are already a good number of cancellations in/out of ATL Thursday morning. Looks like the ice may still be a factor through mid-day Thursday, if not longer, so my guess is that cancellations will increase. But it's just a guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.