Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Equip Change to Cradles on lie-flat advertised flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equip Change to Cradles on lie-flat advertised flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by keloutwest
There's a line somewhere, and I'd concede that line isn't perfectly clear. But if the seat (or bed) is an "amenity", then pretty much the only thing not subject to change is that you'll get to fly in a tube of metal from point A to point B.
Not even that. I've been taken by bus.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
If you are not accommodated in your cabin, you will be given (should be given) compensation. OP was accommodated in BE. Jeeze...it isn't that long of a flight.
So you don't believe in "Want Lie-Flat, Buy Lie-Flat"?

So if they put a sign saying "This is a BE cabin" in one with coach seating, that makes it BE? When you BF, are you paying for the name and right to brag, or are you paying for a bigger seat and better service?

By the logic here, you should be writing a check to DL.
The law says otherwise; it was DL's choice.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
I love how a third of the people don't understand the difference between what Delta is LEGALLY obligated to do, and what someone who purchases a product has a right to expect.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by javabytes
What is a "cabin" besides a collection of "amenities" bundled together?
Funny how bubba didn't answer your question
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
So if they put a sign saying "This is a BE cabin" in one with coach seating, that makes it BE? When you BF, are you paying for the name and right to brag, or are you paying for a bigger seat and better service?
This is what really gets me. The question really is, what counts as business class? Clearly just calling it business is not enough. The CoC does not seem to have a definition for this either. It says you will fly in ticketed cabin (First, Business, or Economy) but in my opinion the amenities promised at time of payment are the amenities which should be used to define the class of service (this is how it works for any other business or purchase).

And, if all the BE tickets were priced the same, sure, no compensation. But Delta charges more for flights (including, but not limited to, the equipment upcharge fee) based on the amenities promised and if they are not providing the amenities that the person paid extra for, some amount of compensation is necessary. It may not be 100% clear that this is a legal obligation (see below), although based on the CoC I do not think it is 100% clear either that the law is in their favor.

Originally Posted by enconline
I love how a third of the people don't understand the difference between what Delta is LEGALLY obligated to do, and what someone who purchases a product has a right to expect.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fti
I assure you, I feel anything but hurt.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by fti
because I am not going to get caught in some endless loop of wordplay in an attempt to mind**** people with jackassery.

I can read English (yes I know jackassery isn't a "real" word) and can read the disclaimer. I have common sense, don't live by lawsuits, work hard for what I want, and am honest. I can see clearly posted that amenities are subject to change. I know that doesn't fit in with the anti-DL 6 and their endless romp across the stage of have-nots losing their worth in the scheme of a marketing program.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I know that doesn't fit in with the anti-DL 6 and their endless romp across the stage of have-nots losing their worth in the scheme of a marketing program.
Did you forget the part where this thread is about somebody who paid $8800 for their ticket? Not exactly the kind of customer you want to feel shortchanged, laws and CoC aside.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

deal with it!!!

DL did not guaranty the seats you wanted. They did give you the class of service you paid for. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Update: After about a week following my message to Delta, they replied. The font on the reply was really weird, it's as though they typed in some custom text in a different font and size than the canned wording they use to create a unique sentence. Also there were a few typos in the message and a spelling error.

That aside, I was offered 15k miles and a promise that they'd pass the request to the relevant management group. (I had said that more important to me than the miles they send me is that they actually fix their communication pathway when something like this happens).

I'm happy with the 15k miles, but I really want someone to fix this. Do you think I could ask the "management group" to contact me to follow up? Not that I expect to actually get a call from someone who would fix this, but anyways...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
If you are spending your own money on this (and not OPM) :

(a) You have a strange valuation of the value of your time.
(b) Being around FlyerTalk, there have to be at least a half-dozen ways you could fly this route for far less than $8,800 (in a premium cabin).
(c) I almost find it inconceivable that you spent $8,800 for this itinerary; but I'll take your word for it.
lol, in other words:

FLYERTALK RULE #1

Blame OP
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Update: After about a week following my message to Delta, they replied. The font on the reply was really weird, it's as though they typed in some custom text in a different font and size than the canned wording they use to create a unique sentence. Also there were a few typos in the message and a spelling error.

That aside, I was offered 15k miles and a promise that they'd pass the request to the relevant management group. (I had said that more important to me than the miles they send me is that they actually fix their communication pathway when something like this happens).

I'm happy with the 15k miles, but I really want someone to fix this. Do you think I could ask the "management group" to contact me to follow up? Not that I expect to actually get a call from someone who would fix this, but anyways...
I think Skymiles are worth at least 1.7 cents per mile

so to me:

15000 x 1.7 cents per mile = $255 in value to me

Are you happy with that?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Lie Flat seats are extremely important to many people like my father-in-law who has horrible spine problems and will literally not fly unless he can be horizontal.

He would not knowingly have gotten on the plane with the angled seats, even if they would cancel him and he would have to eat the money/buy another ticket. If he got on the plane before knowing, I think it's 50/50 if he would debark.

So, I think especially given the fact that Delta has been shown to charge more money for lieflat products (the amount of which doesn't really matter to me $50 or $500)......Delta agrees that lie flat seats are an amenity that is of 'extra' value and regardless of the legality or COC... Delta would want to agree that the high spending OP deserves accomodation/compensation.

Assuming OP wrote a coherent note explaining the situation and how OP took a crappier routing and spent lots of lettuce to get the DL lieflat seat that is advertised like crazy....

I think a $500 voucher would be a minimum amount as a nice gesture along with an explanation how this shouldn't happen again soon. (based on spending $4400 per way)....But if 15000 skymiles seems ok to you, don't feel bad!!!

Look... I got a $600 voucher for giving up my seat to FLL and taking a onestop instead of a nonstop arriving ~5 hours late... On a ticket that cost <$400. Just Saying.

I don't see how Bubba makes the leap to a sue-happy society based on OP's logical disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.