Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is DL Planning on Flying Empty Planes Across the Atlantic This Summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:56 pm
jer
Original Poster

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.

Trying to book 3 separate TATL flights in May/June. In every case, I can find flights in Y on Kayak for 800-950. Cheapest possible on delta.com is 1200, and none of those are on DL metal. Cheapest Delta metal across the pond runs 1400, against 800 on Lufthansa (this example is a trip roc-ber in early June).

Even weirder, when I look at seating charts on dl.com for the SkyTeam operated TATL metal (which is usually the cheapest option), they are often well more than half full. When I look at seating charts on the DL metal flights they are near empty.

Very Strange. Any ideas what they're thinking in the pricing department?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You should have file complaint to US DOT. They will informed to DL. Something is not right. You can tell DOT right way. That you are complaining about ticket pricing. There is no reason to increase the higher fares. Which is not acceptable. You can be threatened to file lawsuit against Delta. This is not excused. Shame on Delta!!!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:15 pm
jer
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
You should have file complaint to US DOT. They will informed to DL. Something is not right. You can tell DOT right way. That you are complaining about ticket pricing. There is no reason to increase the higher fares. Which is not acceptable. You can be threatened to file lawsuit against Delta. This is not excused. Shame on Delta!!!
Huh?

Just asking a question buddy.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
I was looking at SFO-CDG-SFO for june or july and I can't find cheaper than 1600 on any airlines!! crazy
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jer
Huh?

Just asking a question buddy.
No, you were assuming that you know better then Delta on their pricing strategy.

Perhaps the real truth is they will let the other airlines fly you below cost and hold their seats for later bookers at a higher price.

Not to mention seating charts don't give you a good picture of sold seats in any way.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:24 pm
jer
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
No, you were assuming that you know better then Delta on their pricing strategy.

Perhaps the real truth is they will let the other airlines fly you below cost and hold their seats for later bookers at a higher price.

Not to mention seating charts don't give you a good picture of sold seats in any way.
Thanks for the straight answers. Although I'm not sure what you are reading into my post. I stated an observation, and asked for thoughts. Usually I find this a more congenial place.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
I have experienced similar problems.

For my TATL and TPAC travel, I can see and can book fares on almost every OTA.
But on Delta.com I am shown flights with different itineraries and higher prices.

So, I called DL Customer Service, gave the agent the exact routing and dates including flight number.... even offered to give the fare basis ... and the fare was matched to the exact price and exact routing with all sectors with DL flight number even if on a skyteam partner, and Delta issued 006- tickets. It was done very quickly ... if one has the exact details, and gets a knowledgeable agent.

Suggest you call DL CS ... they are great folks!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by dd1612
I have experienced similar problems.

For my TATL and TPAC travel, I can see and can book fares on almost every OTA.
But on Delta.com I am shown flights with different itineraries and higher prices.

So, I called DL Customer Service, gave the agent the exact routing and dates including flight number.... even offered to give the fare basis ... and the fare was matched to the exact price and exact routing with all sectors with DL flight number even if on a skyteam partner, and Delta issued 006- tickets. It was done very quickly ... if one has the exact details, and gets a knowledgeable agent.

Suggest you call DL CS ... they are great folks!
I guess it's time for a new sticky: The Definitive "How To Search for Low Cost TATL tickets on Delta" with all the tricks to avoid getting mislead by Delta.dumb about best prices
ala The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards" sticky...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:10 pm

Hi -

Slightly OT,but I did the same thing with an award booKing. They kept telling me 170, 170, 170, I gave them specific flight/days/times and ...... 120K.

The guy booking my flight did not even attempt to say I am sorry, or nice, or anything.

For a revenue ticket, I would suggest an ExpertFlyer subscription. Pick out the flights with the best fare classes and go from there.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
This is Delta Revenue Management hard at work

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...oss-board.html
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I don't understand DL's pricing strategy, but if DL is only selling similar TATL routes at higher prices just because they think that can make a lot of money off of it, then I think that's wrong. But who knows what their reason is.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 29, 2014 at 7:25 am Reason: Removed portion of the post referencing comments deleted by the moderator
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
"Is DL Planning on Flying Empty Planes Across the Atlantic This Summer?"
No, they are actually planning for another record year with an $ 2.5 billion over year profit.
And they have your back...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:05 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
There are any number of possible reasons for this pricing strategy. We may see a later drop in fares, or the RM people feel that they can get away with this as other carrier's fares rise as the summer season approaches. Or they may have data indicating a higher than normal demand for travel to Europe this summer and believe they can leverage this into higher yields. Unless one of us has a source in the RM department on Virginia Avenue, it's all just speculation.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 29, 2014 at 7:25 am Reason: Removed portion of the post referencing comments deleted by the moderator
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jer
Very Strange. Any ideas what they're thinking in the pricing department?
I can tell you exactly what they are thinking. They think that there is sufficient demand at higher prices to fill their planes without resorting to discounting and, that if such demand does not materialize, that there remains plenty of time to discount. My guess is that this thinking is driven by several years (possibly even decades) of data regarding pricing and demand for TATL routes.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jer
Thanks for the straight answers. Although I'm not sure what you are reading into my post. I stated an observation, and asked for thoughts. Usually I find this a more congenial place.
No, you didn't just state an observation. If you had just stopped at stating that at fares for a particular route seemed on high from a particular market to a particular destination in Europe, and that the seatmaps didn't seem that full, that would be an observation. However, you also stated a pretty over-the-top question based on those highly limited and anecdotal observations about DL flying empty planes across the Atlantic to Europe this summer. It was clearly a question that was meant to provoke as it's pretty absurd to come to that conclusion based on your limited observations. Obviously, DL has no intention of flying empty planes over the Atlantic and people responded as they did because it's a silly question. It's like those who get upset about changes in DL's SkyMiles program and make knee-jerk statements like "I don't see why they just don't end the program entirely".

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 29, 2014 at 6:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.