Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Vs. Southwest (What's wrong with Delta?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Vs. Southwest (What's wrong with Delta?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I've never noticed Southwest to be cheaper for the routes I fly. I guess having 90% of the flights in my life originate out of ATL and NYC would will do that. Generally I have to go out of my way to fly one and two stops on Southwest when there are cheaper itineraries available from Delta, American, United, Virgin, whoever.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kettle1
Lets compare the stocks for the last year:
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=D...rce=undefined;

Spirit stock did even better: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=D...rce=undefined;
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
EXACTLY - in fact quite often I have seen WN be more expensive than DL on certain city pairs. Not to mention it does not fly to my second home in Europe.
I can't get to my summer villa either
#humblebrag
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
My experience is that out of MSP since Southwest's arrival is that Delta is usually the same price or less. Once in a while Southwest is $35 less.

The biggest thing is that MSP to CHI (all airports) the price dropped. Delta, American, and United were price gouging this route so badly, it used to be difficult to find a fare under $400, now 21 days out, it's easy to find sub $140AI.

With Southwest you have to fly to MDW, I always fly to ORD so Southwest helped me. The other issue is I fly non-stop to 95% of my domestic destinations with Delta, Southwest, it would be about 2%.

So Southwest comes to MSP, and gets the Chicago flights to drop in price, but joined the price gouging in my opinion.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
If other carriers are matching WNs low fares, then they ALL are "budget" LCC carriers. It just means WN is the leader. But make no mistake if they are all charging what you feel is a low budget fare, they are all LCCs. DL gains o stature by following rather than leading.
So, a one-way advanced purchase fare from MSP-CHI on WN today is $73-$90, which other airlines have matched. When WN withdraws from the market, it becomes similar to CVG's (MSP was priced at/near CVG prior to WN's entry) at $404. But that doesn't make WN a LCC? Seriously? If you don't like WN, don't fly them. But stop pretending their impact on the industry is pure fantasy.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
I didn't mean to start a big controversy here. If I've gotten anything from this thread, it is that YMMV is the truest mantra. I must admit that I predominantly shop sales and it is interesting to see that many times, DL will match WN if there is a sale, but WN will not match DL. Having WN's prices separate from all other searches is also genius as one has to do multiple searches to compare prices. DL works in my schedule and importantly takes me where I need to go (Int'l destinations). I also feel more rewarded (for the time being) on Delta as a LVC (let's face it, if we're fighting over who has the lowest fares, we're not bread and butter customers). I work at a law firm, where many of the attorneys have chosen WN as their primary carrier. They often boast how they got A22 for their boarding number as an A-List Preferred while I show them my boarding pass for 1A (and not on the CRJ2 or EMB). They get very wide-eyed very quickly

lol...that's the best one I've heard in a long time
Lawyers on Southwest? That's surprising unless it's like snakes on a plane.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Bagels
I didn't say inaugural fares -- I said when service was inaugurated.
I didn't say a sandy beach...
I said a beach with sand!
Huh????
Distinction without a difference!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:50 pm

So, a one-way advanced purchase fare from MSP-CHI on WN today is $73-$90, which other airlines have matched. When WN withdraws from the market, it becomes similar to CVG's (MSP was priced at/near CVG prior to WN's entry) at $404. But that doesn't make WN a LCC? Seriously? If you don't like WN, don't fly them. But stop pretending their impact on the industry is pure fantasy.
You are missing my point completely -- which was basically, that your statement was silly. I have no skin in this game. I don't fly either airline.
If an airline is willing to go down and match a fare- than they both are offering low budgetary fares. Pretty simple concept I thought. I make no judgment on which airline is better, or on WNs impact.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Huh????
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:51 pm

Huh????
Really? Inaugural fares are introductory fares. I was referring to fare levels after service was introduced. But I think some people knew that and are just trying to be trolls.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:56 pm

You are missing my point completely -- which was basically, that your statement was silly. I have no skin in this game. I don't fly either airline.
If an airline is willing to go down and match a fare- than they both are offering low budgetary fares. Pretty simple concept I thought. I make no judgment on which airline is better, or on WNs impact.
I'm not missing your point. Whole Foods temporarily matching prices of local competitors does not make them a discount grocer; it's just a business decision designed to keep market share away from the discounter (and hopefully drive the discounter out so that they may raise prices).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
but have generally not found it to be the soul-stealing, hope-ending experience that many here... who may or may not have flown the airline... describe it to be.
I don't find WN to be soul-stealing or hope-ending, but the destinations they serve best largely are. For the destinations that I would actually want to go to, including <gasp> international ones, WN's service levels are wholly uncompetitive.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Most frequently it was so I could get from Chicago (MDW) back to PHL non-stop after putting in a full day at the client's offices. As compared to leaving early to make a connecting flight on DL. Oh, Yes, and it allowed me to fly a real jet during a period when DL was increasingly replacing DC-9s on the ORD-DTW-PHL route with CRJs.
Why would you bother to fly DL from Chicago to Philly? There are what, four other airlines flying that route nonstop? Sure, WN looks good in such a comparison, but that seems like cherry pickin', no?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't find WN to be soul-stealing or hope-ending, but the destinations they serve best largely are. For the destinations that I would actually want to go to, including <gasp> international ones, WN's service levels are wholly uncompetitive.
The wonderful thing about FlyerTalk is that we have people from all different corners of society (as well as others that live in their mom's basement in Indiana but list their location as 'SIN, OGG, NYC and VCE' depending on the time of year). The bad thing about FlyerTalk is that everybody perceives others' preferences to be the same as theirs.

Many casual frequent flyers use their points to take a family vacation in Disney World, spend the holidays with their family in Indiana, etc. Not everybody aspires to travel to some exotic destination. When I was younger, I traveled the world. Now I have younger children -- we took them on an African safari last year, and it turned into (more-or-less) a big bore for them, and a huge chore for us - I'd describe the trip as a nightmare. They'd rather visit the Animal Kingdom at Disney. Delta gets them there. And so does WN...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:21 pm

I'm not missing your point. Whole Foods temporarily matching prices of local competitors does not make them a discount grocer; it's just a business decision designed to keep market share away from the discounter (and hopefully drive the discounter out so that they may raise prices).
So the grocer discounting prices isn't a discounter?
All semantics. And I'd argue your analogy to be a huge stretch.
More like Albertsons vs Kroger.
Delta most def is not the Whole Foods of the airline business.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by cowboyguy

WN has 2 free checked bags

In fact, Xxxxxxx is the WORST airline ever made.
No airline has free checked bags. The fuel burn for that luggage is simply in all the tickets. Since I don't check, I don't want to pay for others baggage, drinks, and teen TV.

Last line wins you multiple ignores, congrats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.