Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen DM Luggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Stolen DM Luggage Tags

I have already had 4 removed from my checked luggage in 2014. I see on ebay they are selling for $50+ for a tag. Is anyone else having this issue?

I contacted DL to inquire about purchasing additional tags and received the following message:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

I'm sorry to learn your Medallion luggage tags have been lost. With the introduction of Delta Sky Priority on April 15, 2010, we are no longer replacing lost or damaged luggage tags and regret any inconvenience.
With Sky Priority in place, every time when you check-in your luggage, you will automatically receive a yellow priority label attached to a bag tag identifying that you are our loyal customer. A baggage tag will be included in the new set of Medallion credentials which will be mailed early next year to those members who have remained Medallion status this year.

Mr. xxxxxxx, we appreciate your Million Miler Diamond Medallion business and trust your future flights will be enjoyable. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of choice.

Which I read as too bad we are not helping you but continue to fly with us

Last edited by Lane412000; Jan 18, 2014 at 9:03 am Reason: spelling error
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Lane412000
Which I read as FU we are not helping you but continue to fly with us
Isn't every response from DL like that ?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I can understand DL refusing to provide additional tags for people who want one for every bag they own but when you have tags that are getting stolen, presumably while in the possession of DL and airport baggage handlers, they should voluntarily replace them.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I've had many bag tags (of all sorts) ripped off of luggage when they get caught in baggage beltways or whatever. Medallion tags, paper tags, checked baggage tags, fabric, plastic, etc.

Is there proof the DM tags are being stolen?

And, while it may be theft, I wouldn't be surprised if some on ebay are fakes. Just as someone started trying to profit from the Kryptonium tag, I would not be the least bit surprised if people would try to do so with copies of legit tags.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by rwoman
I've had many bag tags (of all sorts) ripped off of luggage when they get caught in baggage beltways or whatever. Medallion tags, paper tags, checked baggage tags, fabric, plastic, etc.

And, while it may be theft, I wouldn't be surprised if some on ebay are fakes. Just as someone started trying to profit from the Kryptonium tag, I would not be the least bit surprised if people would try to do so with copies of legit tags.
I put a hidden camera on my bag to watch the DM tags and I have proof that the baggage handlers are taking them and selling them on eBay. In fact, one even stole my cherry medallion tag as tried to sell it on eBay, haha.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:54 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I, too, decided to put one on a duffel bag I checked a couple of years ago, and it WAS NOT on my bag when I claimed it! So, I don't do it any more. It didn't seem worth it to write in about it.

The only thing they're really good for, are to show off how important you (think you) are to the whole plane!

I did post one time in the past, where I was flying in a Y door exit row on a B752 - boarded late due to late connection - was told I'd hafto check a bag due to no overhead space. When I set my bag down on the floor, the DM tag clinked - the FA's eyes literally dropped down toward my bag, and suddenly, there was overhead space available! So, I guess there's SOME value!

So, if that makes me a DYKWIA type, so be it!

. . . . . Also, one of my PIT GA buds found one that fell off a bag and actually saved it for me!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by rwoman

+2

I have had so many broken that I just use them on my carry on and even then....

They're about as useful as the yellow priority tags are on checked luggage.

The only real value is because they have your frequent flyer number on them, they give you a bit of a chance of getting bags back if they get lost.

and on a recent flight we had to gate check our bags, boarded early in the process and of course our bags were among the last to come up at the gate.

Of course, by that time the jetway was a bit less crowded.

<lol>

Bob H
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by davetravels
I, too, decided to put one on a duffel bag I checked a couple of years ago, and it WAS NOT on my bag when I claimed it! So, I don't do it any more. It didn't seem worth it to write in about it.

The only thing they're really good for, are to show off how important you (think you) are to the whole plane!

I did post one time in the past, where I was flying in a Y door exit row on a B752 - boarded late due to late connection - was told I'd hafto check a bag due to no overhead space. When I set my bag down on the floor, the DM tag clinked - the FA's eyes literally dropped down toward my bag, and suddenly, there was overhead space available! So, I guess there's SOME value!

So, if that makes me a DYKWIA type, so be it!

. . . . . Also, one of my PIT GA buds found one that fell off a bag and actually saved it for me!
DYKWIA. I put a giant cowbell on my bag next to my Diamond tag so everyone has to look at it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
DYKWIA. I put a giant cowbell on my bag next to my Diamond tag so everyone has to look at it.
Somehow, I doubt you need a cowbell!

Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:03 am

Quote:

Well... If you're referring to something else you're definitely right :redface: Getting a bit personal though
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You do realize the metal clasp sent with the tags doesn't stay shut, right? It is much more likely it's just popping open than there is a conspiracy to steal your tags. Solder them shut. That should solve your problem. Gorilla Glue might work, too.

I should just send you mine. I'm confused about their purpose. Why anyone would put them on a suitcase or other carryon. I've got my biz card in the ID compartment in the suitcase and in another place in the bag. Checked bags get yellow tags. What would the DM tag possibly add? What is their purpose?

Recently, when checking bags in ATL, the agents in the SP line were telling me stories of the worst behavior displayed by DMs coming through their lines. (The DM who lost it because his no status daughter wasn't allowed to check her 85 lb bag for free, and the DM who erupted because they wouldn't hold his plane when he showed up to check his bag five minutes prior to departure.) I would have loved to see the expression on the face of the agent who was asked for additional DM tags.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I hear people have been "stealing" zipper pulls off bags, too!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
More cowbell.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:21 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Good News....

There's one for sale on eBay right now (looks to be in mint condition as well)...

eBay item number: 251428280951

I think it's your's for bidding (-;
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Maybe he knows The Bruce Dickinson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.