Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help! Can anyone tell me what this MCO thing is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Question Help! Can anyone tell me what this MCO thing is?

I received this MCO Exchange Coupon for a cancelled flight and no delta representatives seem to know what it is or how to use it. It expires in 5 days.

I found this page on delta which says MCO can be used for Sky Club Membership but no delta agent is able to help me.

Anyone know why they issued me this obscure coupon or how to use it? Can I get it extended?

Thanks

MCO coupon scan

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I think a Miscellaneous Charges Order is airline speak for a credit note…

You have a coupon for a dollar value of travel on Delta. It says for future travel, not sure if they will accept it for club fees but you should try.

You probably got it because of a fare difference from a cancelled flight, or a refund from a cancelled flight.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Ah, there's always nothing like waiting until the last minute.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I have had this exact voucher in the past. If my recollection is correct, you need to take this to the airport to have them issue a ticket or use it however you wish. The phone agents will not know what to do with it. The airport agents will. Just make sure you go when there is time for them to deal with you... i.e., don't go two hours before a packed flight to ATL.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Ah, there's always nothing like waiting until the last minute.
Ha yes I know, I actually tried to figure this out 8 months ago but no one at Delta support could help me. They said to go to a local ticket counter, which I did, but here at my closest airport (FAT) they said they weren't "mainline" delta representatives and I'd have to go to an airport like SLC or ATL and ask them. Nobody can give me direct phone numbers to agents at an airport. I pretty much gave up on salvaging the money but figured I give one last effort once I found your wonderful forums.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
DOUBT IT WORKS ANYMORE.

Upside to giving your ticket number on the web...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vuelos
DOUBT IT WORKS ANYMORE.

Upside to giving your ticket number on the web...
Says Non-Transferable; I think the only person who could steal it would be someone with the same name as the OP
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Says Non-Transferable; I think the only person who could steal it would be someone with the same name as the OP
That's what I figured as well, and if someone can use it well at least it wasn't wasted.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:24 am

I received one of those a few months ago...we paid for a portion of a trip with $400 in eCerts. The flight got cancelled and the $400 was refunded as an MCO. We HAD to go to the airport to use it and even then it took about 2 hours and 5 different Delta employees (including 2 redcoats and a back office manager) to figure out how to redeem the thing. In the end we were able to use it though.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I just received one. Is it the same procedure? Must I go to the airport?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

It's a credit that no DL employee can actually apply to anything. Very helpful to DL's bottom line, shareholders love these instruments.

In all seriousness though it's pretty sad that pax get issued credits that no employee can figure out how to use or that require a trip to an airport ticket counter. Seems pretty shady.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Can one process it by mail?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:33 pm

An MCO is a Miscellaneous Charges Order that can be exchanged at a Delta ticket counter for cash (if it's not endorsed for a certain use).

If you purchased a ticket with cash, then any refund or partial refund will usually be issued as an MCO that can be exchanged for cash.

If you have a delayed bag and cash over $10 is found, then after 24 hours, Delta will convert it to an MCO and keep it in the bag so that someone else can't pilfer it. The MCO is non-transferable so only the customer can claim the cash.

I've never seen one, but that's what they are. I'm not surprised that ticket counter agents don't know how to use them. I've never seen one, so most people probably haven't. Still, MCOs are effectively checks for the dollar value on the card.

A Red Coat should be able to help at the ticket counter. Basically, the agent takes the MCO and uses the station's petty cash fund to pay it out. A petty cash receipt (signed by a supervisor) replaces the cash withdrawn from petty cash and the MCO is mailed to Delta with other auditor's coupons.

Edit: I just noticed that your MCO was endorsed for use for travel. It should be the same as an e-certificate that's issued as denied boarding compensation.

Last edited by Widgets; Jan 23, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Widgets
An MCO is a Miscellaneous Charges Order that can be exchanged at a Delta ticket counter for cash (if it's not endorsed for a certain use).

If you purchased a ticket with cash, then any refund or partial refund will usually be issued as an MCO that can be exchanged for cash.

If you have a delayed bag and cash over $10 is found, then after 24 hours, Delta will convert it to an MCO and keep it in the bag so that someone else can't pilfer it. The MCO is non-transferable so only the customer can claim the cash.

I've never seen one, but that's what they are. I'm not surprised that ticket counter agents don't know how to use them. I've never seen one, so most people probably haven't. Still, MCOs are effectively checks for the dollar value on the card.

A Red Coat should be able to help at the ticket counter. Basically, the agent takes the MCO and uses the station's petty cash fund to pay it out. A petty cash receipt (signed by a supervisor) replaces the cash withdrawn from petty cash and the MCO is mailed to Delta with other auditor's coupons.

Edit: I just noticed that your MCO was endorsed for use for travel. It should be the same as an e-certificate that's issued as denied boarding compensation.
So - if it can be cashed like a check - and many agents do not know what to do with it - is the best answer to hand it back to the agent who gave it to you and ask her to cash it? Presumably the agent that issued it knows how to cash it. Or if she lacks cash ask her to point to the agent who can cash it and get her name and extension so the cashing agent can call her?

And I really like Widgets - an actual DL person who can cut through the fog and give clear answers.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
So - if it can be cashed like a check - and many agents do not know what to do with it - is the best answer to hand it back to the agent who gave it to you and ask her to cash it? Presumably the agent that issued it knows how to cash it. Or if she lacks cash ask her to point to the agent who can cash it and get her name and extension so the cashing agent can call her?

And I really like Widgets - an actual DL person who can cut through the fog and give clear answers.
If the MCO isn't endorsed for a specific use, then it's a check. A Red Coat and Delta's global assistance center (help desk) should definitely be able to figure out how to cash it if your agent can't. The help desk is trained to know all ticket counter functions, like processing MCOs. I've never had an issue the help desk can't efficiently resolve. United's desk used to be rude or just hang up if they don't know how :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.