Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shortest Upgrade List You've Ever Experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

There's been a discussion about the longest upgrade list, but what about the shortest?

Tuesday, December 17. JFK to LAS. The 8:15 AM flight I was on, I was the only one on the list. Remarkable. The return flight was slightly better...Today, on the 0725 flight, LAS to JFK, 5 folks on the list.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've also been the only one on the list. Well rather, I had already cleared and there weren't any others, and my seat was the only one taken up front. Don't remember exactly which flight, but I believe it was out of PIT. It turned into quite the NRSA cabin.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 20, 2013 at 1:22 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
A few months ago I was #1/1 for one seat as an FO on a V fare. The flight was ECP-ATL. I think some other FOs cleared at the FO window, and there may have been one F seat sold in the 48 hours before the flight because I recall it going from F/5 to F/2 at the FO window to F/1 by the next morning.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
3 total people on a A320 on an evening LGA-STL flight.

I didn't even have status yet and sat up front.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've also been the only one on the list. Well rather, I had already cleared and there weren't any others, and my seat was the only one up front.
Same here. Cleared five days out, no one else was apparently on the list, and no one else was up front. This was DSM-DCA before that route got canned.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Much to my surprise, ATL-LAX on a Saturday. I was upgraded at the FO window and I was flying with a non status companion. He was 1/3 on the gate upgrade list and he also got the upgrade. Granted it was a 767 on a Saturday, but I certainly did not expect that short of an upgrade list going from ATL-LAX with lie flat seats!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
There's been a discussion about the longest upgrade list, but what about the shortest?

Tuesday, December 17. JFK to LAS. The 8:15 AM flight I was on, I was the only one on the list. Remarkable. The return flight was slightly better...Today, on the 0725 flight, LAS to JFK, 5 folks on the list.
Why do you consider it better for customers when there are more customers on the upgrade list? Less competition for upgrades means a higher likelihood of getting the upgrade, right?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I was 1 of 1 a few years back -- it was a late evening flight, I think DTW-PIT but don't hold me to it.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by rocketzo
Much to my surprise, ATL-LAX on a Saturday. I was upgraded at the FO window and I was flying with a non status companion. He was 1/3 on the gate upgrade list and he also got the upgrade. Granted it was a 767 on a Saturday, but I certainly did not expect that short of an upgrade list going from ATL-LAX with lie flat seats!
Just balancing out my ATL-LAX on Monday -- I was #11 on a list of 50+ for 1 seat. Never seen so many cowbell luggage tags in Y.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Weekend LGA-BOS Shuttle flights often depart with unoccupied first class seats, meaning, of course, the upgrade list is empty.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:11 am

JFK to LAX

0 on the upgrade list

(well from March onwards.....)
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
A few years back in 2010 or so, I flew on a CR9 on the 10pm MSP-DTW flight on a Sunday night in the middle of the winter and there were 1 other person besides me in F and about 15 people in Y. I know we at least finished off a bottle of wine between the two of us as the FA never let our glasses be empty.

The only flight more empty was on an SF3 once on ROA-DTW with 8 people total.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
JFK to LAX

0 on the upgrade list

(well from March onwards.....)
No, you can still upgrade with miles in advance and with either an old SWU or a new GU in advance or at the gate.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
I was on a JFK-SJU flight a few weeks ago on a Tuesday morning. My upgrade cleared at the PM window and there was nobody on the upgrade list at the gate. a 737 went out with 6 people in FC. Y was probably 50% full at most.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:31 am

I was only one on the list for a SJC-LAX flight (although I already cleared) and SDC'd onto an earlier flight and was also the only one on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.