Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do I find the number of MQMs to be earned prior to taking a trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Whenever I book a reservation on DL.com, before I process the order there is a section that tells me how many MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs the trip is worth. I cannot find this anywhere after I've booked my trip. Is there a specific place for this where I can find all of this info without having to use an unofficial calculator which always ends up being a little bit off?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by veganist
Whenever I book a reservation on DL.com, before I process the order there is a section that tells me how many MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs the trip is worth. I cannot find this anywhere after I've booked my trip. Is there a specific place for this where I can find all of this info without having to use an unofficial calculator which always ends up being a little bit off?
Either print as you book or do a dummy booking at your fare for your exact flights on the same or different dates to see the miles. Alternatively, clicking details tells you the number of actual miles per flight, so that you can calculate MQMs and RDMs (plus MQSs) if you understand the DL FF program rules. You can calculate MQDs for the entire trip (but not so obviously per segment) by examining the receipt on delta.dumb.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Also a quick-n-dirty MQM calculator (it has a bug that does not calculate X fares):

http://fly.qux.us/smcalc/
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Also a quick-n-dirty MQM calculator (it has a bug that does not calculate X fares):

OP states that he/she wishes to avoid use of an unofficial mileage calculator because they aren't completely accurate for DL.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP states that he/she wishes to avoid use of an unofficial mileage calculator because they aren't completely accurate for DL.
I'll defer to the OP's needs, but is the error between the official Delta answer and a quick version that significant? Is it a question of finishing the year with (for example) 49,999 miles versus 50,001?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:35 am

I'll defer to the OP's needs, but is the error between the official Delta answer and a quick version that significant? Is it a question of finishing the year with (for example) 49,999 miles versus 50,001?
There are reports of the discrepancy being surprisingly large sometimes, certainly more than a mile or two on some routes.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I use gcmap.com. It has never been off by more than 1 mile. You just have to put in each segment and remember the 500-mile-per-segment minimum.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by DaveNC
I use gcmap.com. It has never been off by more than 1 mile. You just have to put in each segment and remember the 500-mile-per-segment minimum.
I generally use GCmap too, but I've had it be off by 5-6 miles per segment (example, GCmap says ATL-SNA is 1919 miles, Delta.com flight schedules list it as 1913). GCmap was off by 5 for my ATL-LAS flight. That said, it's close enough that unless you're worried about finishing within literally a couple MQMs of what you need, it should be fine.

If OP wants to find out what Delta will give, you can always pull up the flight schedules and then get the mileage Delta says it is through the flight info and add it up.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Would a dummy booking yield the results the OP wanted? You wouldn't have to consummate the transaction and you'd have your answer.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
try making a dummy reservation at www.delta.com

It gives you the MQMs you will earn for any particular round trip or 1 way.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.

That is the one I use. Small sample but has been 100% accurate for me.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by dd1612

That's right, when you book the flight, after you choose the inbound return flight and click continue, the page with your total price, total Skymiles(including any fare class and medallion bonus) and MQM (including fare class bonus if applicable) and MQD pops up as well as info about using pay with miles. Although, sometimes the mileage part of the screen is obscured by a popup add for the AMex Gold card which is annoying. I usually try again later and the ad is gone.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Recent call to CS leads me to believe that they have a calculator.

I called to ask about a specific flight and she sort of said something about "putting it over into this tool here...." under her breath.

I was distracted and didn't ask about it, but you could always call in...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I also want to calculate my MQD's (dollar spend, not MQM's) for next year so to know when to splurge, and when to niggle. I will so rudely confess right here and now that I am going to pay more for itineraries I need to take, and am going to go to weird places I normally wouldn't go next year, in order to get my MQD's up. Maybe this is feeding the pig, but maybe I am the pig.

But it is a touch ridiculous that they can tell you what the MQD's will be before you buy the ticket, but then you can't figure out how many MQD's your ticket is worth after you purchased it (and there is no online calculator for this).

I assume this is a gap in the system, and not some calculated strategy designed to get people to buy more tickets at higher fares "just to be safe". If it is a gap in the system, they should fix it now.

It if is NOT a gap in the system, but is instead willful neglect, they should still fix it now.

But I guess that I can simply call the elite line and ask about my (eight already) 2014 reservations and ask them to look it up. And if there is any problem getting an answer, ask for a supervisor.

Last edited by SpinzCity; Dec 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dd1612

This works, but it's a little cumbersome if you want to explore a lot of different routings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.