Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Broken Record: Boarding Zones - Delta Policy Not to Enforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Headed back to LHR tonight...

The GAs called preboards, BE, and then SKY. I then entered the empty SP lane.

A family with two teenagers pushes through the regular side and in front of me to the GA. GA asks why are they boarding...it's not their zone. He says bc they called boarding with kids. The mom and dad did not like my comment it's for families with two year olds not 13 year olds.

I walked past them as it's a wide walkway down to the plane and she clearly did not appreciate my value for the boarding procedures. Complained, "I don't feel bad. We bought FOUR tickets." I didn't bother with the retort going through my mind.

As we came on the plane she commented, "Too bad she wasn't behind me so she could kick my seat. I did respond that's fine...I'd just ask the FAs to move you. She definitely didn't like that!

Ah, the joys of travel.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman

A family with two teenagers pushes through the regular side and in front of me to the GA. GA asks why are they boarding...it's not their zone. He says bc they called boarding with kids. The mom and dad did not like my comment it's for families with two year olds not 13 year olds.

I walked past them as it's a wide walkway down to the plane and she clearly did not appreciate my value for the boarding procedures. Complained, "I don't feel bad. We bought FOUR tickets." I didn't bother with the retort going through my mind.

As we came on the plane she commented, "Too bad she wasn't behind me so she could kick my seat. I did respond that's fine...I'd just ask the FAs to move you. She definitely didn't like that!

Ah, the joys of travel.
Unfortunately in a few years, those overage children will be traveling by themselves and probably behaving badly too, maybe even worse, more inconsiderate and rude than their parents' example.

However, the GA letting them preboard just reinforces the behavior.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
There was no pre-boarding in OKC this morning for the 6 am flight. I think it was because there was no children under 2 and no one in a wheelchair.

Perhaps another factor was the guy standing next in line after me was DM 4MM and counting. He seemed to know most DL employees by name including pilots. During the flight to ATL he was offering basketball seats to a pilot who was deadheading.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
To address the issue of a rejected passenger clogging up the turnstile line: why not have a trap door open up and suck them down into a chute that dumps them out onto the tarmac right in front of the plane. Ignoring the security issue, this would clear them out of the way quickly and get them close to the plane, which is what they so desperately seek.
They need to hire the infamous Monty Python bridge keeper:

What is your name? What is your quest? What is your boarding zone?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:20 am

Now in ATL they announced wheelchairs and child w ticket using car seat and child with peanut allergy
Then FC and elites
Ga said plz obey bc many dot complaints re DL
Using iP so sorry about mistakes
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by houserulz77
This issue all stems from the desire to get on the plane first. The desire to get on the plane first stems from pax wanting to secure bin space for their carry-ons. It's a cascading problem. People who don't need to pre-board do so anyway so that they can find a place for diaper bags, or simply to get out of zone 3. Then, seeing that so many people have already boarded, the SKY Zone folks try to squeeze in with the Premium Zone folks. Then the Zone 1 folks try to squeeze in with the Sky Zone folks, and so on. The need for bin space is, in large part, a product of pax not wanting to pay to check bags. If you want to fix the boarding problem you have to fix the carry-on problem.

Because you do not need to eliminate all carry-on baggage, just some of it, I think one solution would be to allow folks who are paying to check a full-size bag, to also check a smaller bag for free. If you did that, you could eliminate gate checks on a vast majority of flights. Over time, people would realize that there is generally enough bin space, and they would be in less of a hurry to board.
I think anyone who pays to check a bag should get guaranteed carry on space. I always check a bag which means I'm not trying to carry on a 25" carry on.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Last week in MSP the GA announced two different boarding zones for families with children -- the first one was for families with children two and under, and the second was for families with children of any age. The college students took advantage of that one.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Last week in MSP the GA announced two different boarding zones for families with children -- the first one was for families with children two and under, and the second was for families with children of any age. The college students took advantage of that one.
Disgusting, although usually even preteens don't like to be called children.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:06 pm

I am on flight 2 SVO but fters need to check out the changes 1/1/14.
In addition to my posts the did not charge to chech bags at gate.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
Ga said plz obey bc many dot complaints re DL
I assume the gate agent was referring to carry-on limits? Whatever the case, the plea to passengers was embarrassingly unprofessional—basically an admission that Delta can't maintain an orderly boarding process. The airline shouldn't be enlisting passengers to help avoid DOT complaints; if employees simply enforced Delta's readily-available, published boarding and carry-on policies, DOT compliance would naturally follow.

In addition to my posts the did not charge to chech bags at gate.
What changes? Delta gate agents do not charge to check bags at the gate unless they are grossly over sized, and rarely even then.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by rwoman

Ah, the joys of travel.
Wow. Actually had the nerve to threaten to kick your seat? What has air travel come to.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Wow. Actually had the nerve to threaten to kick your seat? What has air travel come to.
Exactly what I was thinking- absolutely disgraceful.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
EDIT: Never mind; just noticed the new thread.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Just boarded a flight in Seattle and absolutely no change to the boarding process that I see/saw. Preboards (same announcement as is has been for at least a year or more) followed by F and presumably Sky, and the normal zones. I boarded as soon as F was called so not sure what's happening at the back of the pack.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by willing292
I think anyone who pays to check a bag should get guaranteed carry on space. I always check a bag which means I'm not trying to carry on a 25" carry on.
I sometimes check a bag and still have a full-size (20") carry-on bag. I don't trust the checked bag to show up for a couple of days, with good reason based on experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.