FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta announces free spirits in international economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1526817-delta-announces-free-spirits-international-economy.html)

jrkmsp Dec 2, 2013 12:45 pm

Delta announces free spirits in international economy

Thought this was interesting. Delta tweets free spirits for all economy class passengers on international flights.

https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsroom/st...93549299843072

It eliminates some of the specialness of Economy Comfort — unless they go to upgrade that product in some new way, i.e. with better food. It's also slim on details, so I'm left wondering if it includes all international flights, or just the longhaul ones.

KevinDTW Dec 2, 2013 1:01 pm

This is interesting. I flew KLM three days ago AMS - JFK and they also offered free drinks in economy. IIRC they had scotch, vodka, gin, cognac and one other liqueur, and it was poured from bottles instead of minis. Wonder why they're doing this now?

SOBE ER DOC Dec 2, 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 21888911)
Thought this was interesting. Delta tweets free spirits for all economy class passengers on international flights.

https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsroom/st...93549299843072

It eliminates some of the specialness of Economy Comfort — unless they go to upgrade that product in some new way, i.e. with better food. It's also slim on details, so I'm left wondering if it includes all international flights, or just the longhaul ones.

So folks in economy should not get complimentary alcohol so people in EC can feel special? Couldn't the same argument have been made for BE when free alcohol was extended to EC?

tmontemb Dec 2, 2013 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 21889019)
So folks in economy should not get complimentary alcohol so people in EC can feel special? Couldn't the same argument have been made for BE when free alcohol was extended to EC?

No, because EC is a buy-up service.

Hopefully they stock extra Woodford's now because of this.

jamesteroh Dec 2, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by tmontemb (Post 21889051)
No, because EC is a buy-up service.

Hopefully they stock extra Woodford's now because of this.

But EC is free for PM's and DM's. So if EC seats aren't available at the time of booking, this is a nice added benefit if you are a PM or DM that gets stuck in regular economy on a long haul.

jrkmsp Dec 2, 2013 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 21889019)

I'm not saying don't add liquor in Y (God knows, that's where I usually fly), I'm just saying from a sales perspective, if you're trying to differentiate YC from Y, you have to have reasons for people to buy up. It was a selling point — now it's not.

MSPeconomist Dec 2, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 21889090)
I'm not saying don't add liquor in Y (God knows, that's where I usually fly), I'm just saying from a sales perspective, if you're trying to differentiate YC from Y, you have to have reasons for people to buy up. It was a selling point — now it's not.

Only if people are aware of the new rule for free alcohol throughout coach.

My guess is that the free alcohol is a competitive thing on some routes, but it's simpler and less confusing to implement it systemwide for international. However, I wonder whether DL will have a new definition of international for this purpose. Canada? MEX? Northern South America? Caribbean?

Dieuwer Dec 2, 2013 1:38 pm

Introducing a little holiday "spirit" to last the whole year through. @Delta now offers free spirits in economy on international flights.
Seems to be because of the Holidays. Until the end of 2013.

tkey75 Dec 2, 2013 1:42 pm

This has been in effect since at least last week, unless they just forgot to charge me multiple times.

DLFan2 Dec 2, 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 21889325)
Seems to be because of the Holidays. Until the end of 2013.

I think you have misinterpreted this.

It is saying that it is something that lasts all year [every year; not just this year].

slipbeer Dec 2, 2013 1:47 pm

Gordon's and Scoresby?

jrkmsp Dec 2, 2013 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2 (Post 21889363)
I think you have misinterpreted this.

It is saying that it is something that lasts all year [every year; not just this year].

This.

DLCorpGal Dec 2, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi all, I can clarify here.
This policy went into effect on Dec. 1. It is not just for the remainder of 2013.
Free spirits are available on all intercontinental flights featuring BE service (where beer and wine was already complimentary in economy) as well as interport flights.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Calchas Dec 2, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW (Post 21889017)
This is interesting. I flew KLM three days ago AMS - JFK and they also offered free drinks in economy. IIRC they had scotch, vodka, gin, cognac and one other liqueur, and it was poured from bottles instead of minis. Wonder why they're doing this now?

KL have always done this.

jrkmsp Dec 2, 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC (Post 21889415)
Hi all, I can clarify here.
This policy went into effect on Dec. 1. It is not just for the remainder of 2013.
Free spirits are available on all intercontinental flights featuring BE service (where beer and wine was already complimentary in economy) as well as interport flights.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Thanks for clarifying!