FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta announces free spirits in international economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1526817-delta-announces-free-spirits-international-economy.html)

bubbashow Dec 2, 2013 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 21890092)
The selling points for EC are extra space, extra space, extra space, and extra space. Oh, and as a side benefit you get earlyish boarding and a power outlet you can share with your neighbor. But really it's extra space, extra space, extra space, and extra space.

I can't imagine a significant number of people buying up to save $7 on a drink.

Some on here can only bolster their self worth through perceived "exclusivity" for which most of them are unwilling to pay. I guess the $7 drink is an affront to that. There is also the group on here that tries to get as much for free as humanly possible. This new policy could get in the way of gluttonous consumption for some.

kettle1 Dec 2, 2013 6:18 pm

So now that DL did something good, I guess those on FT will still rip DL. Let the kettle's have their gin and juice and bud. For us up in FC, please keep the Dom flowing (or similar). If DL is so bad lately, try UA. I fly both and and overall DL is much MUCH better.

Last week LAS-ORD - on UA NEVER AGAIN. FA's talking Union crap again for 3 hours. I'm sorry I'll stick with DL.

I am not defending DL, but UA needs to get it together. Free drinks in Y on DL International seems like a plus.

I fly both DL and UA and this is a positive. :)

readywhenyouare Dec 2, 2013 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 21890881)
So now that DL did something good, I guess those on FT will still rip DL. Let the kettle's have their gin and juice and bud. For us up in FC, please keep the Dom flowing (or similar).

This is my vote for most conceited post of the week (yes, I know it's still early).

bennos Dec 2, 2013 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mrbrad (Post 21890181)
For all configs (at least on the 76X), aren't there power outlets for at least the ~10 rows of Y?

Generally yes.

The extra space is definitely nice (as is the booze), but if I didn't get it for free I don't think I'd ever buy up.
I definitely sleep better in international EC (managed 7 hours on a TPAC recently!). If I had to pay full price, though, then the price gap between DL Y+EC and W on other carriers becomes a lot smaller and I'd probably be more likely to book another carrier. (What I really want is more lateral space.)

The booze is a non-factor to me.

MSPeconomist Dec 2, 2013 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 21890964)
This is my vote for most conceited post of the week (yes, I know it's still early).

I'll give my vote to the post above that one.

readywhenyouare Dec 2, 2013 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21891622)
I'll give my vote to the post above that one.

Good eye, somehow I missed that one.

Gindernation Dec 2, 2013 9:34 pm

Delta announces free spirits in international economy

I recently flew SYD-LAX in Y and asked for a Bloody Maria. FA said they don't carry tequila in Y cabin with new policy. Oh the humanity, I had to settle for a boring Bloody Mary...

jdrtravel Dec 2, 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gindernation (Post 21891852)
I recently flew SYD-LAX in Y and asked for a Bloody Maria. FA said they don't carry tequila in Y cabin with new policy. Oh the humanity, I had to settle for a boring Bloody Mary...

That makes me nervous. I'd like to know what the options are. If the Sky Club liquor has found its way onto the plane that would be truly be sad. At least at the airport you can go to a real bar.

MSPeconomist Dec 2, 2013 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gindernation (Post 21891852)

In the past, would this have been available in EC?

mattp1987 Dec 3, 2013 6:13 am

Anyone flying this week and want to see if it's spelled out in the December Sky magazine? I went to their website, but it only has the articles in a web format with no link to a pdf or other form of the real magazine.

MSPeconomist Dec 3, 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 21893378)
Anyone flying this week and want to see if it's spelled out in the December Sky magazine? I went to their website, but it only has the articles in a web format with no link to a pdf or other form of the real magazine.

Sorry, but I didn't keep my copy and I didn't look for or notice any such announcement in the magazine during my flight, but I can state that my TATL eastbound flight on December 1 had the new December issue on board. So there's no evidence of a printing delay to incorporate the new policy.

emancj Dec 3, 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 21890430)
... as pretty much all European and Asian carriers.
This exclusion of some or all complimentary booze in Y on inter-continental flights is/was a peculiarity of US airlines (setting aside the handful of dry airlines in the Middle East, of course).
You do get a wider choice in premium class on all carriers but a full bar service is nonetheless the norm on long-haul on Asian and European carriers.

And most LatAm ones, even in domestic flights... AM offers (AFAIK) vodka, rum, tequila on every domestic flight in Mexico. 4O and Y4 do as well...

Anyhow, interesting to see how DL gives something for free (without taking anything from the BE or EC pax) and we already see the Debbie Downers of this post whining. I guess some people are never, ever happy.

Good for DL!

GRALISTAIR Dec 3, 2013 8:48 am

I flew DUB-JFK yesterday. I heard that spirits/cocktails were free in Economy too. Did not realize it had become official.

Shena Nigans Dec 3, 2013 8:52 am

Oh dear! This is about free alcoholic beverages!

I thought this thread was about passenger behavior.

NapaPatTours Dec 3, 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Shena Nigans (Post 21894324)
Oh dear! This is about free alcoholic beverages!

I thought this thread was about passenger behavior.

Right! I thought this was a warning that my next flight to AMS was going to have more hippies than usual! ;)