Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta announces free spirits in international economy

Delta announces free spirits in international economy

Reply

Old Dec 2, 13, 1:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,023
Delta announces free spirits in international economy

Thought this was interesting. Delta tweets free spirits for all economy class passengers on international flights.

https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsroom/st...93549299843072

It eliminates some of the specialness of Economy Comfort unless they go to upgrade that product in some new way, i.e. with better food. It's also slim on details, so I'm left wondering if it includes all international flights, or just the longhaul ones.
jrkmsp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 2,380
This is interesting. I flew KLM three days ago AMS - JFK and they also offered free drinks in economy. IIRC they had scotch, vodka, gin, cognac and one other liqueur, and it was poured from bottles instead of minis. Wonder why they're doing this now?
KevinDTW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:02 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ORD / MDW / FLL
Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,938
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
Thought this was interesting. Delta tweets free spirits for all economy class passengers on international flights.

https://twitter.com/DeltaNewsroom/st...93549299843072

It eliminates some of the specialness of Economy Comfort unless they go to upgrade that product in some new way, i.e. with better food. It's also slim on details, so I'm left wondering if it includes all international flights, or just the longhaul ones.
So folks in economy should not get complimentary alcohol so people in EC can feel special? Couldn't the same argument have been made for BE when free alcohol was extended to EC?
SOBE ER DOC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:05 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
So folks in economy should not get complimentary alcohol so people in EC can feel special? Couldn't the same argument have been made for BE when free alcohol was extended to EC?
No, because EC is a buy-up service.

Hopefully they stock extra Woodford's now because of this.
tmontemb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:08 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,535
Originally Posted by tmontemb View Post
No, because EC is a buy-up service.

Hopefully they stock extra Woodford's now because of this.
But EC is free for PM's and DM's. So if EC seats aren't available at the time of booking, this is a nice added benefit if you are a PM or DM that gets stuck in regular economy on a long haul.
jamesteroh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:09 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,023
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
So folks in economy should not get complimentary alcohol so people in EC can feel special? Couldn't the same argument have been made for BE when free alcohol was extended to EC?
I'm not saying don't add liquor in Y (God knows, that's where I usually fly), I'm just saying from a sales perspective, if you're trying to differentiate YC from Y, you have to have reasons for people to buy up. It was a selling point now it's not.
jrkmsp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:24 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 75,984
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
I'm not saying don't add liquor in Y (God knows, that's where I usually fly), I'm just saying from a sales perspective, if you're trying to differentiate YC from Y, you have to have reasons for people to buy up. It was a selling point now it's not.
Only if people are aware of the new rule for free alcohol throughout coach.

My guess is that the free alcohol is a competitive thing on some routes, but it's simpler and less confusing to implement it systemwide for international. However, I wonder whether DL will have a new definition of international for this purpose. Canada? MEX? Northern South America? Caribbean?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:38 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PERMANENTLY TERMINATED ACCOUNT
Posts: 13,905
Introducing a little holiday "spirit" to last the whole year through. @Delta now offers free spirits in economy on international flights.
Seems to be because of the Holidays. Until the end of 2013.
Dieuwer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:42 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 11,465
This has been in effect since at least last week, unless they just forgot to charge me multiple times.
tkey75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:43 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: VPS
Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
Posts: 2,340
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Seems to be because of the Holidays. Until the end of 2013.
I think you have misinterpreted this.

It is saying that it is something that lasts all year [every year; not just this year].
DLFan2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:47 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Center City, MN
Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
Posts: 436
Gordon's and Scoresby?
slipbeer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:50 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,023
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
I think you have misinterpreted this.

It is saying that it is something that lasts all year [every year; not just this year].
This.
jrkmsp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:51 pm
  #13  
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 150
Hi all, I can clarify here.
This policy went into effect on Dec. 1. It is not just for the remainder of 2013.
Free spirits are available on all intercontinental flights featuring BE service (where beer and wine was already complimentary in economy) as well as interport flights.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC
DLCorpGal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 2:54 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,582
Originally Posted by KevinDTW View Post
This is interesting. I flew KLM three days ago AMS - JFK and they also offered free drinks in economy. IIRC they had scotch, vodka, gin, cognac and one other liqueur, and it was poured from bottles instead of minis. Wonder why they're doing this now?
KL have always done this.
Calchas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 13, 3:18 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,023
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC View Post
Hi all, I can clarify here.
This policy went into effect on Dec. 1. It is not just for the remainder of 2013.
Free spirits are available on all intercontinental flights featuring BE service (where beer and wine was already complimentary in economy) as well as interport flights.

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC
Thanks for clarifying!
jrkmsp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: