Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

companion certificate - card cancellation and others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

i am delta gold skymiles cardholder, and got free companion certificate for the travel by oct 31 2014.

i am planning to cancel the card by dec 1st 2013, to get the refund on the annual fee, have other amex cards and dont want to continue with 1 more card with fee.

so the question is, can i book the ticket for travel in 2014 with the companion certificate and then cancel the card. what happens to the ticket once i cancel the card, and on the actual travel date, will they ask for the credit card, or once i get the ticket then i am clear to fly.

please advise. thanks in advance.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by troyhouse
i am delta gold skymiles cardholder, and got free companion certificate for the travel by oct 31 2014.

i am planning to cancel the card by dec 1st 2013, to get the refund on the annual fee, have other amex cards and dont want to continue with 1 more card with fee.

so the question is, can i book the ticket for travel in 2014 with the companion certificate and then cancel the card. what happens to the ticket once i cancel the card, and on the actual travel date, will they ask for the credit card, or once i get the ticket then i am clear to fly.

please advise. thanks in advance.
I assume you mean you have a Platinum Delta Amex, since the Gold version no longer includes a companion ticket.

There is no requirement to keep the card once you make a reservation with the companion certificate. If you cancelled the card before you actually made a reservation with the cert that might be a problem. Never tried that though.

Unlike the US Airways cert there is no requirement to use your Delta credit card to purchase the ticket. I've never seen a US airline ask to see the credit card used on the travel date, but if you're worried just use a different card to pay for the ticket. I always use my regular Gold Amex for 3x points on airfare.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
... Platinum Delta Amex ...

Unlike the US Airways cert there is no requirement to use your Delta credit card to purchase the ticket. ...
NOT true ... the revenue ticket has to be purchased with the member's DL Plat Amex
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jrl22
NOT true ... the revenue ticket has to be purchased with the member's DL Plat Amex
I know that used to be the rule, because my parents' each had one of these certs from their Delta Amex cards which they let me use, and I would have to reimburse them, but at some point in the last year I was able to use my own credit card. I redeemed one of their certs as recently as September and the charge definitely went on my non-Delta Amex Gold card.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by jrl22
FYI, I have redeemed DL companion certificate recently with my AMEX Hilton card. Any AMEX card would do ...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

i do not have amex delta platinum, i have delta gold skymiles.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

As a Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cardmember, you've got the Card that makes your travel all the more rewarding. Congratulations on earning your
Gold Companion Certificate for discounted travel, which entitles you to invite a guest on a round-trip Domestic Economy Class flight.*

You can redeem your certificate following these easy steps:
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
I assume you mean you have a Platinum Delta Amex, since the Gold version no longer includes a companion ticket.
Wrong.

Originally Posted by troyhouse
As a Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cardmember, you've got the Card that makes your travel all the more rewarding. Congratulations on earning your
Gold Companion Certificate for discounted travel, which entitles you to invite a guest on a round-trip Domestic Economy Class flight.*
I got this same email on 10/22 that troyhouse got above. So apparently the gold card DOES still include a companion ticket.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by ncwillett
Wrong.

I got this same email on 10/22 that troyhouse got above. So apparently the gold card DOES still include a companion ticket.
The Companion certificate has been discontinued on DL Gold cards. However Gold cards applied by late 2012/early 2013 will get the companion cert for one & last time on their first anniversary (as that was the offer when they applied). No companion certs will be issued on later anniversaries. As a proof, this DL page no longer mentions companion certs for Gold card, just the Plat and Reserve card.

Last edited by gv111; Nov 22, 2013 at 5:52 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:16 am

I believe it's hard to differentiate DL AmEx from other AmEx cards to most billing systems - so any amex might work. I took a slightly different track and signed up for a new amex dl gold biz card and closed my personal one after the cert posted to my account. New gold apps are fee-free, snagged a nice signup bonus, and will use that card to pay when I book the companion certificate. Reps confirmed any skymiles amex is fine to pay with... but I've not done it yet to personally verify this part.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
The Companion certificate has been discontinued on DL Gold cards. However Gold cards applied by late 2012/early 2013 will get the companion cert for one & last time on their first anniversary (as that was the offer when they applied). No companion certs will be issued on later anniversaries. As a proof, this DL page no longer mentions companion certs for Gold card, just the Plat and Reserve card.
Ok, guess that's why I got the recent email as referenced. Good to know, thanks for clarifying!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Has anyone cancelled the card after receiving the cert, but before making the reservation? I have a personal and a business, but decided to cancel the one with the cert, so I could pay with the other.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
The Gold Card still gives companion certificates if you signed up for the card prior to that feature being removed, but it will not continue beyond the first renewal fee.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by orca15
Has anyone cancelled the card after receiving the cert, but before making the reservation? I have a personal and a business, but decided to cancel the one with the cert, so I could pay with the other.
This is addressing an old question, but I canceled my Plat Amex a few days after the certificate showed up in my account. The Amex chat agent who closed the card account said in the boilerplate language that the companion cert would be canceled. Now, a few weeks later, it's still in my wallet as "Open". Might be booking some domestic flights w/ my wife on my home leave to the states next year, guess there's no harm in trying to use it if it's still there after at least a few months...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
lamprey, good luck trying to use that cert. I THINK that you can only charge the tickets for the cert to the Amex on file, if that Amex is closed then there is no option to charge it to and, hence, you wouldn't be able to use it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.