Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should we consider a class action lawsuit against DL about "UP" fares and SDC ?

Should we consider a class action lawsuit against DL about "UP" fares and SDC ?

Old Nov 18, 13, 4:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 151
Should we consider a class action lawsuit against DL about "UP" fares and SDC ?

As someone who has been lately purchasing "UP" fares and been on the receiving end of misinformation by Delta employees with regards to what I've purchased... Should a lawsuit be explored about possible misrepresentation ?.

When trying to make same day confirmed changes I've been given a handful of misinformation. I've been told my fare is not in fact first class but a coach fare with a free first class upgrade. Other times I've been told its a paid first class ticket. Whatever the case is delta.com and delta phone representatives sell those up fares as "FIRST CLASS/BUSINESS CLASS" with no disclosure that its actually a coach fare with a free upgrade.

If I recall correctly other airlines (American ?) actually show the fare being a Coach fare with a free upgrade to first ?

The bottom line is I think delta.com should show all options like aa.com does with regards to the different types of tickets so that people are actually aware of what they are buying.

Does anyone agree ?
g2gtrading is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 4:02 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CHA, MAN;
Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Posts: 11,088
Originally Posted by g2gtrading View Post
Does anyone agree ?
No.
GRALISTAIR is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 4:36 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 4,520
I love deep discount UP fares. Allows me to not care about status. I'm willing to deal with limitations pn these fares, though in practice, Delta has been extraordinarily helpful in rebookings for me.
Colin is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 4:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PVD, GVA, BUD
Programs: AA ExecP
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by g2gtrading View Post
Should a lawsuit be explored about possible misrepresentation ?
No.
flying_q is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 4:43 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CMH and AVL
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Posts: 193
Does anyone agree ?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely NO, no one is forcing you to fly Delta, if you don't like it fly another airline.
nabco is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 4:48 pm
  #6  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,911
Originally Posted by g2gtrading View Post
Does anyone agree ?
No.

And btw, you could probably pay for F tickets for life and still be way ahead financially vs. the legal costs for your lawsuit.
fti is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: SPG-Gold
Posts: 371
no and No
InsUW2 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
Originally Posted by g2gtrading View Post
If I recall correctly other airlines (American ?) actually show the fare being a Coach fare with a free upgrade to first ?

The bottom line is I think delta.com should show all options like aa.com does with regards to the different types of tickets so that people are actually aware of what they are buying.

Does anyone agree ?
NO.

Solution: fly AA, then you'll know what you are buying. When I buy tickets, I know what I am buying.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MSN
Programs: DL DM & 1MM, HH Diamond, Amtrak Select
Posts: 27
I don't think a lawsuit is a good idea, but I have also found that DL employees aren't clear on what an UP fare is -- for example whether they qualify for 50 percent MQM bonus like regular A fares. When I asked about that last year I got a variety of answers. I ended up getting the MQMs, but I don't know if that's policy (I got differing stories) or if it happened because I called and inquired.
Yucca is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by Yucca View Post
I don't think a lawsuit is a good idea, but I have also found that DL employees aren't clear on what an UP fare is -- for example whether they qualify for 50 percent MQM bonus like regular A fares. When I asked about that last year I got a variety of answers. I ended up getting the MQMs, but I don't know if that's policy (I got differing stories) or if it happened because I called and inquired.
A and P fares (that is, UP fares) receive a 50% bonus on MQM.
pertristis is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:39 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Originally Posted by pertristis View Post
A and P fares (that is, UP fares) receive a 50% bonus on MQM.
A or P fares are not necessearily UP fares. For instance Pxxxx is a discounted business fare, but QxxxUP booking in P class is an UP fare.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
A or P fares are not necessearily UP fares. For instance Pxxxx is a discounted business fare, but QxxxUP booking in P class is an UP fare.
Ah, I stand corrected. As I read that then, A and P UP fares necessarily receive the MQM bonus because they fall within the A and P fare codes?
pertristis is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:51 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Example: BOS-ATL-LIM-ATL-BOS 4/1-4/8 $1771 ai. Fare code KNN07ANP but books in A, Z.

The fare rules specifically say:

ECONOMY WEB FARE WITH AN INSTANT UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF
PURCHASE
TO FIRST/BUSINESS APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
PLEASE NOTE-
BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES
MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 5:59 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,756
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
A or P fares are not necessearily UP fares. For instance Pxxxx is a discounted business fare, but QxxxUP booking in P class is an UP fare.
There are no true P/A/G fare basis that I am aware of, with the one single exception being the odd A basis for the LAX-SFO shuttle when it started.

All P fares are comprised of a fare basis (generally with a /WNUP designator after the fare) that books into the P bucket. There are also two types of UP fares that book into A... the /WNUP, and also the old school xxxxUPxx fare that actually says the basis is first if you look at the rules.
Note that the /WNUP basis also costs, sometimes substantially, more than the basic coach basis. So don't let agents tell you that you only have a K coach ticket... its likely that /WNUP that booked into A cost you a few hundred more than the straight coach K basis without the /WNUP.

Anyway, if you buy a P/A/G ticket, its a first class ticket.
rylan is offline  
Old Nov 18, 13, 6:04 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: ATL/PDK
Programs: DL, SPG
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
There are no true P/A/G fare basis that I am aware of, with the one single exception being the odd A basis for the LAX-SFO shuttle when it started.

All P fares are comprised of a fare basis (generally with a /WNUP designator after the fare) that books into the P bucket. There are also two types of UP fares that book into A... the /WNUP, and also the old school xxxxUPxx fare that actually says the basis is first if you look at the rules.
Note that the /WNUP basis also costs, sometimes substantially, more than the basic coach basis. So don't let agents tell you that you only have a K coach ticket... its likely that /WNUP that booked into A cost you a few hundred more than the straight coach K basis without the /WNUP.

Anyway, if you buy a P/A/G ticket, its a first class ticket.
Fare basis codes with P/A/G do not exist - this is correct. They are simply First Class inventory classes that coach fares point to.
AdamDunn32 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: