Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should we consider a class action lawsuit against DL about "UP" fares and SDC ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

As someone who has been lately purchasing "UP" fares and been on the receiving end of misinformation by Delta employees with regards to what I've purchased... Should a lawsuit be explored about possible misrepresentation ?.

When trying to make same day confirmed changes I've been given a handful of misinformation. I've been told my fare is not in fact first class but a coach fare with a free first class upgrade. Other times I've been told its a paid first class ticket. Whatever the case is delta.com and delta phone representatives sell those up fares as "FIRST CLASS/BUSINESS CLASS" with no disclosure that its actually a coach fare with a free upgrade.

If I recall correctly other airlines (American ?) actually show the fare being a Coach fare with a free upgrade to first ?

The bottom line is I think delta.com should show all options like aa.com does with regards to the different types of tickets so that people are actually aware of what they are buying.

Does anyone agree ?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
Does anyone agree ?
No.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:36 pm

I love deep discount UP fares. Allows me to not care about status. I'm willing to deal with limitations pn these fares, though in practice, Delta has been extraordinarily helpful in rebookings for me.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Should a lawsuit be explored about possible misrepresentation ?
No.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Does anyone agree ?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely NO, no one is forcing you to fly Delta, if you don't like it fly another airline.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Does anyone agree ?
No.

And btw, you could probably pay for F tickets for life and still be way ahead financially vs. the legal costs for your lawsuit.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
no and No
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If I recall correctly other airlines (American ?) actually show the fare being a Coach fare with a free upgrade to first ?

The bottom line is I think delta.com should show all options like aa.com does with regards to the different types of tickets so that people are actually aware of what they are buying.

Does anyone agree ?
NO.

Solution: fly AA, then you'll know what you are buying. When I buy tickets, I know what I am buying.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, HH Diamond, Amtrak Select
I don't think a lawsuit is a good idea, but I have also found that DL employees aren't clear on what an UP fare is -- for example whether they qualify for 50 percent MQM bonus like regular A fares. When I asked about that last year I got a variety of answers. I ended up getting the MQMs, but I don't know if that's policy (I got differing stories) or if it happened because I called and inquired.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, QR Silver, AC 50K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yucca
I don't think a lawsuit is a good idea, but I have also found that DL employees aren't clear on what an UP fare is -- for example whether they qualify for 50 percent MQM bonus like regular A fares. When I asked about that last year I got a variety of answers. I ended up getting the MQMs, but I don't know if that's policy (I got differing stories) or if it happened because I called and inquired.
A and P fares (that is, UP fares) receive a 50% bonus on MQM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pertristis
A and P fares (that is, UP fares) receive a 50% bonus on MQM.
A or P fares are not necessearily UP fares. For instance Pxxxx is a discounted business fare, but QxxxUP booking in P class is an UP fare.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, QR Silver, AC 50K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
A or P fares are not necessearily UP fares. For instance Pxxxx is a discounted business fare, but QxxxUP booking in P class is an UP fare.
Ah, I stand corrected. As I read that then, A and P UP fares necessarily receive the MQM bonus because they fall within the A and P fare codes?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Example: BOS-ATL-LIM-ATL-BOS 4/1-4/8 $1771 ai. Fare code KNN07ANP but books in A, Z.

The fare rules specifically say:

ECONOMY WEB FARE WITH AN INSTANT UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF
PURCHASE
TO FIRST/BUSINESS APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
PLEASE NOTE-
BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES
MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
There are no true P/A/G fare basis that I am aware of, with the one single exception being the odd A basis for the LAX-SFO shuttle when it started.

All P fares are comprised of a fare basis (generally with a /WNUP designator after the fare) that books into the P bucket. There are also two types of UP fares that book into A... the /WNUP, and also the old school xxxxUPxx fare that actually says the basis is first if you look at the rules.
Note that the /WNUP basis also costs, sometimes substantially, more than the basic coach basis. So don't let agents tell you that you only have a K coach ticket... its likely that /WNUP that booked into A cost you a few hundred more than the straight coach K basis without the /WNUP.

Anyway, if you buy a P/A/G ticket, its a first class ticket.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by rylan
There are no true P/A/G fare basis that I am aware of, with the one single exception being the odd A basis for the LAX-SFO shuttle when it started.

All P fares are comprised of a fare basis (generally with a /WNUP designator after the fare) that books into the P bucket. There are also two types of UP fares that book into A... the /WNUP, and also the old school xxxxUPxx fare that actually says the basis is first if you look at the rules.
Note that the /WNUP basis also costs, sometimes substantially, more than the basic coach basis. So don't let agents tell you that you only have a K coach ticket... its likely that /WNUP that booked into A cost you a few hundred more than the straight coach K basis without the /WNUP.

Anyway, if you buy a P/A/G ticket, its a first class ticket.
Fare basis codes with P/A/G do not exist - this is correct. They are simply First Class inventory classes that coach fares point to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.