Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel Changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just wait until the revenue based award system... that TPAC will be 500k miles.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RustyC
This is what happens when you're down to only three domestic programs with global reach. U.S. flyers are getting treated more and more like European ones in countries with a single dominant international airline. The thinking is becoming the same as well: with hub captives, you don't really have to try harder.

DL also has the distinction of having both the priciest awards and worst availability situation; I guess they're trying to say they need money to buy new planes rather than "by charging more miles, we give you better availability." (unless by that you mean 2x or 3x the lowest level).

An excellent program to jump to would have been NW's old one. They were often a holdout on customer-unfriendly changes as well.

It's hard to see light at the end of this tunnel. For price-sensitive leisure travelers the next real competition might be some combination of ULCCs like Spirit and maybe something like Air Asia X for certain long hauls. (As I write this I'm in Colombia on a 10K Spirit award ticket for the "off peak" time).

As the anecdotal media accounts build of low-tier awards being very hard to get, we'll move ever closer to the tipping point where infrequent traveler Joe Sixpack decides that trying to accumulate miles for a hoped-for Hawaii trip with the missus in 5 years just isn't worth it, and then all the non-flying tie-ins will have to reassess reward options. You see the start of that with points-based programs (like Capital One, or FlexPerks) against miles-earning cards now.
Indeed.

I hope the government is noticing all this. Remind me again - how does the customer benefit from mergers? I wish UA and CO could be split up.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I hope the government is noticing all this. Remind me again - how does the customer benefit from mergers?
1) I can get to more places more directly now.
2) I don't consider one-stop options to be effective competition for my dollars, and I have not seen a reduction in non-stops.
3) I don't believe that competition is improved by having 6 weak legacy carriers vs 3 strong ones.
4) I don't believe that the status quo of overcapacity and loss-making fares would have continued in the absence of mergers.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta Smacks United

If you're getting bored the whole ordeal and want a reason to crack a smile, I wrote a little sketch on it
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
2) I don't consider one-stop options to be effective competition for my dollars, and I have not seen a reduction in non-stops.
3) I don't believe that competition is improved by having 6 weak legacy carriers vs 3 strong ones.
4) I don't believe that the status quo of overcapacity and loss-making fares would have continued in the absence of mergers.
How do you get to more places directly now?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Changes Reprice to New Mileage Requirements?

I have SAN-OGG-SAN(stop)-SEA booked in F at the old redemption level of 75k miles for travel in May.

If I change to SAN-HNL/OGG(open jaw)-SAN, do I have to pony up another 5,000 Skymiles because of the new award chart?

(No rebooking fee for plat and diamond.)

P.S. I am aware I can add inter-island flights for 5,000 miles each way, but I am going to Molokai and HA does not fly there yet.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Award Travel Changes

Yes - changes to origin/Destination means historical pricing no longer applies. You will have to pay the extra miles
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:12 pm
Company Representative - Milez.biz

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles & More, Flying Blue
Calculation and comparison of old and new rates

We've just added Delta SkyMiles' new award rates to our global redemption rate calculator (milez.biz). Enter any two cities to see how many miles are required for an award ticket. Old rates and new SkyMiles rates are listed side-by-side for comparison purposes.

For example Honolulu to London LHR:
http://www.milez.biz/en/list_rates.p...L&t=LHR&ffp=12

Cheers
ph
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed.

I hope the government is noticing all this. Remind me again - how does the customer benefit from mergers? I wish UA and CO could be split up.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
How do you get to more places directly now?
bump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.