Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta reports $1.4 billion quarterly profit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta reports $1.4 billion quarterly profit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
The ability of airlines to earn huge profits in good times has never been I doubt, whether the airlines can sustain it still has not been proven. If Delta continues to earn such large profits, the employees will demand their share they've previously given back, new airlines wanting their share will start and expan, then some event will impact the airlines negatively and they'll be back to outsize losses.
I think that is fair enough, but I think that the current experience is a bit unique in that times actually aren't terribly "good" right now. The current string of success has come despite a relatively weak global economy. I would also question how much power the employee groups retain. Certainly, the plane drivers retain quite a bit of power, but I question whether the other work groups haven't been detoothed.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by indufan
They call this capitalism.
Oligarchism or Cronyism, not capitalism.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
It's perfectly possible to serve a hot meal in steerage on a 45-minute flight. Just ask BA. But, that's not what the domestic US market demands.
Is it possible to do it profitably? BA certainly hasn't proven that.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think that is fair enough, but I think that the current experience is a bit unique in that times actually aren't terribly "good" right now.
The main thing making times good right now is that there haven't been any new entrants into the market enabling the industry in general to control capacity, if the airlines continue to post huge profits it inevitably will attract more capacity.
I would also question how much power the employee groups retain. Certainly, the plane drivers retain quite a bit of power, but I question whether the other work groups haven't been detoothed.
Come contract renegotiation time, the unionized groups will point at the profits and demand their share that they had previously given back, I think it's naïve to think they won't.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:12 am
Suspended

Come contract renegotiation time, the unionized groups will point at the profits and demand their share that they had previously given back, I think it's naïve to think they won't.
Aren't the plane drivers the only unionized group left at DL? Even if they were unionized, I'd offer that the low-skill work groups (FAs, ramp workers, etc) have less leverage, since they can be replaced rather easily.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
The announcement call has some interesting nuggets in it and is worth the read if you have 10 minutes.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Aren't the plane drivers the only unionized group left at DL? Even if they were unionized, I'd offer that the low-skill work groups (FAs, ramp workers, etc) have less leverage, since they can be replaced rather easily.
You don't think 20,000 non-unionized flight attendants can cause disruptions in an attempt to gain leverage and that they can be 'easily' replaced if they do? I don't particular agree with either point of view ...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:19 am
Suspended

You don't think 20,000 non-unionized flight attendants can cause disruptions in an attempt to gain leverage and that they can be 'easily' replaced if they do? I don't particular agree with either point of view ...
They can cause disruptions, but if they aren't unionized, they are readily replaced. And, yes, I do think they are easily replaced, as the job requires no special skills, just some basic level of competence. I couldn't be a pilot tomorrow, but I'm quite confident I could do a more than respectable job as an FA. Not saying, I'd want to, but it isn't a job that requires a terribly specific skill set.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:49 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by elkapong
The announcement call has some interesting nuggets in it and is worth the read if you have 10 minutes.
Care to summarize those nuggets??
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Well with outrageous fees, taking over a competitor, high fares, closing hubs cutting in flight services it is not surprise Delta makes so much money. With such limited competition now due to mergers and high fees and fares Delta and others will make this kind of money.
Don't look at one really good quarter and try to act like it will always be like this. In the last year Delta has had two quarters with profit margins of less then 0.1%. That is one of the issues with the airline industry it is very volatile.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:12 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

WOW
must be a good stock to buy can I cash in some Sky Pesos for some preferred stock?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by tjhorner
B739, A321, A333, B787 all on order and deliveries underway..... 778/9 might be a possibility, but not until the aircraft is in production and proven....I don't see Delta ordering "paper" aircraft.
But NOT the 737 MAX or A320 NEO variants, the 333 and NOT the 350-800, and the 787 orders have been punted long down the road...

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Used cars & end-the-year sales seem to be the current pattern.

Originally Posted by kenban
Don't look at one really good quarter and try to act like it will always be like this. In the last year Delta has had two quarters with profit margins of less then 0.1%. That is one of the issues with the airline industry it is very volatile.
As long as their main expense has volatile pricing I don't really see it changing.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPM
As a Delta employee, I would like to thank everyone for your business & loyalty. Delta wouldn't be successful, without loyal customers. Thank you again!
thank you. For the most part, the attitude and helpfulness of frontline employees has really been on the upswing. It's nice to be treated well on Delta.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
I don't have time right now to dig up the threads, but it started from a statement a couple years ago by a DL exec in rev management when talking about opportunities for additional revenue (paraphrasing) 'We've been starving but sitting on ham sandwiches the whole time".
That would be Glen W. Hauenstein, the executive vice president and chief revenue officer of Delta Air Lines. He's in charge of delta.com, Revenue Management (including award space), SkyMiles, and was the Exec who forced the SkyKlubs to downgrade the booze literally overnight. @:-)@:-)
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
That would be Glen W. Hauenstein, the executive vice president and chief revenue officer of Delta Air Lines. He's in charge of delta.com, Revenue Management (including award space), SkyMiles, and was the Exec who forced the SkyKlubs to downgrade the booze literally overnight. @:-)@:-)
So what you're saying is, the main driver of traffic to FT?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
They can cause disruptions, but if they aren't unionized, they are readily replaced. And, yes, I do think they are easily replaced, as the job requires no special skills, just some basic level of competence. I couldn't be a pilot tomorrow, but I'm quite confident I could do a more than respectable job as an FA. Not saying, I'd want to, but it isn't a job that requires a terribly specific skill set.
DL's Flight Attendant Training is 8 weeks long. Pretty sure in those 8 weeks they're covering more than how to pass out peanuts and drinks and smile as passengers get on and off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.