Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta forces ExpertFlyer to remove Elite Upgrade availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta forces ExpertFlyer to remove Elite Upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
No email for me, and huge thumbs down to DL for this....its like they are becoming the next spirit from a customer perspective
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have an annual subscription to EF, due for renewal in about four or fine months. I didn't receive any notification regarding the change.
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Keep watching. OP posted it at 1:50 according to his post. Mine showed up at around 5 PM EST. Looks like maybe they're rolling out the e-mails in batches versus pushing them out to everyone at once...Or, maybe they're going out to renewals that are do soon first? Who knows...
I renewed my EF subscription in either July or August. So far I haven't heard anything from EF.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:12 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
I renewed my EF subscription in either July or August. So far I haven't heard anything from EF.
See post 79 as to why you haven't heard from EF - it's also re-quoted 3 posts above yours.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
i didn't receive anything anyways

I have an annual subscription to EF, due for renewal in about four or fine months. I didn't receive any notification regarding the change.
Mine just renewed last month, i went online and took off auto renewal and they emailed me back within an hr and told me to contact delta
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Yep, a giant F@@@ Y@@ from Delta to its FFs. Paging the usual suspects to this thread to call everyone whiners, losers and gamers.
This. I liked this feature of EF, as when I travel I am asbolutely forbidden from choosing an F bucket or "any fare that automatically leads to an upgrade to an F seat". While I end up booking M and K fares a lot (costing more than G fares), this helps me know if I have a decent shot at an UG.

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
If everyone thinks about it for a minute, this is the MO DL is going with: catering to high value customers. Or at least HVC to Delta. HVC in their eyes isn't going to care about the ability to see what their UPG chances are, they are already sitting in F.

It has truly saddened me to see that people spend the money for an EF subscription solely based on the fact that they can see where they might have a chance for an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, it truly is valuable to see this, but it helps in so many more ways than just this. Don't hurt EF because of something a third party did and for only 5% of the usefulness of what they have to offer.
Agreed. I will definitely keep the EF subscription. The ability to find partner award inventory, quickly view fare bucket availability, and set alerts provides tremendous value to me. I do hope they get this issue resolved with DL, but I'll stay either way.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
^^

I remember telling Bob Soukup at NW how valuable EF was to me. He explained that he has to pay a few pennies to the GDS each time we use it and that he could pull that access in one phone call, but understood how valuable it was to super-elite customers and he acknowledged that even nwa.com didn't provide some of the info EF did.

There are soooo many other features that make EF valuable and why I will keep my subscription (seat alerts, SWU/award avail, alternate flights during IRROPS, etc.)
I can't seem to see these classes in the GDS...
(using Amadeus, I can see the following fare classes.)
F A P G Y B M S H Q K L U T X V E
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Perhaps this has changed, but in the old days, a request from the GDS to the airline reservation system included a "Pseudo City Code", a identifier that tells the airline who is asking for information. Within the airline system, they can use this identifying information as criteria to decide what to send back.

Expert Flyer has an identity that is shared with the airline and anyone else who has GDS access has an identity, though different from Expert Flyer. DL or any responding airline may decide not to show classes of service... not to make available certain prices... it's up to the airline and the GDS agreements what gets returned. A GDS user who is not Expert Flyer can get significantly different results to the same query.

It's possible these fundamentals have changed, though I suspect this is still valid even if the mechanics are different.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
To clarify on two points of speculation:

- ExpertFlyer does not screen scrape any information from Delta.com. We get our DL information directly from the GDS systems, which is what allowed us to uniquely see the upgrade inventory in the first place. Our lack of screen scraping is also why we do not have DL award inventory, as the DL or Air France websites are the only source for that information which is not available in GDSs. This is something that we have explained and posted about many times in the past.

- The email that the OP references only went out to those subscribers that had active Flight Alerts for the affected classes. We didn't want anyone that had previously created an alert thinking that it was still working and relying on it.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
To clarify on two points of speculation:

- ExpertFlyer does not screen scrape any information from Delta.com. We get our DL information directly from the GDS systems, which is what allowed us to uniquely see the upgrade inventory in the first place. Our lack of screen scraping is also why we do not have DL award inventory, as the DL or Air France websites are the only source for that information which is not available in GDSs. This is something that we have explained and posted about many times in the past.

- The email that the OP references only went out to those subscribers that had active Flight Alerts for the affected classes. We didn't want anyone that had previously created an alert thinking that it was still working and relying on it.
If this is the case, it will affect me as a TA - most of my business is based on providing my customers with access to upgrades and DL even provides us with certificates to do so - I am not going to waste time calling and asking every time I need to book a customer, thus I will steer them to another carrier.

Are you able/willing to share which GDS you use here or by PM? I just went into Apollo and was able to long sell a segment in O class, so for me what I need is still visible.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If this is the case, it will affect me as a TA - most of my business is based on providing my customers with access to upgrades and DL even provides us with certificates to do so - I am not going to waste time calling and asking every time I need to book a customer, thus I will steer them to another carrier.

Are you able/willing to share which GDS you use here or by PM? I just went into Apollo and was able to long sell a segment in O class, so for me what I need is still visible.
O is award ticket inventory, versus OU for free elite upgrades and OP for upgrades with miles/SWUs, all for the FC cabin. O was never on EF and OU is what's been removed. I would assume that your TA certs book into OP, which so far is still on EF.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
O is award ticket inventory, versus OU for free elite upgrades and OP for upgrades with miles/SWUs, all for the FC cabin. O was never on EF and OU is what's been removed. I would assume that your TA certs book into OP, which so far is still on EF.
Actually they book into O or Z depending on the routing - intl v domestic because we need to book the root class to create the fare mask, then rebook into O or Z and create a manual pricing record to restore the fare information before ticketing (I hate Apollo). Perhaps OU or OP are classes for DL agents/systems to process upgrades? I'm not sure....

Bottom line...if it makes our lives harder, we will steer our customers to other programs...most of them are program agnostic or have memberships everywhere and don't really care.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I wouldn't do this just to do it but if I needed the info I'd call daily until I found what I was looking for or booked on OAL.
Right as should everyone else that used to use EF for this information.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
UA treats their non status customers 10s of times better than DL treats their DMs.
I fly both DL and UA weekly and must say, you must on a different UA than I am. I think DL's CS is far superior.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I remember telling Bob Soukup at NW how valuable EF was to me. He explained that he has to pay a few pennies to the GDS each time we use it and that he could pull that access in one phone call, but understood how valuable it was to super-elite customers and he acknowledged that even nwa.com didn't provide some of the info EF did.
Here's our answer, then. "Why are we spending $x to provide this service? Let's block it and improve our balance sheet."
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by kettle1
Originally Posted by RealHJ
UA treats their non status customers 10s of times better than DL treats their DMs.
I fly both DL and UA weekly and must say, you must on a different UA than I am. I think DL's CS is far superior.
I can testify that this is 10000 percent true. It's night and day.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I can testify that this is 10000 percent true. It's night and day.
Somehow I think UA's ad which is at the top of every page is subliminally trying to convince us otherwise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.