Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

With WN coming to BDL direct from ATL in a month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Platinum, HP Diamond

And DL1724 runs 2.5 hours late due to a mechanical issue. Timing could not be much worse. I wonder how many of my seatmates are immediately jumping ship to WN next month because of this?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by GatorAir
And DL1724 runs 2.5 hours late due to a mechanical issue. Timing could not be much worse. I wonder how many of my seatmates are immediately jumping ship to WN next month because of this?
My guess? 0. Delays happen. They may jump ship for OTHER reasons, but I highly doubt this will be the direct cause.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318

My guess? 0. Delays happen. They may jump ship for OTHER reasons, but I highly doubt this will be the direct cause.
Perhaps not a direct cause. But I bet many who take the route regularly are going to take the new WN direct into stronger consideration after today's little episode, and ma/pa kettle are certainly excited about it given DL's sour reputation with a lot of that community.

All I was saying is it is very unfortunate timing for this to happen with a thriving competitor coming in and duplicating DLs route in just a few weeks.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I don't think you have to worry too much... besides, BDL isn't exactly a route I'd worry too much about...
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
And DL1724 runs 2.5 hours late due to a mechanical issue... I wonder how many of my seatmates are immediately jumping ship to WN next month because of this?
Over one late flight? And in the belief that Southwest never suffers mechanicals? None, if they have any brains.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by BearX220
Over one late flight? And in the belief that Southwest never suffers mechanicals? None, if they have any brains.
^^^^^
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I remember a number of years ago - waaaaaay back when, before you needed a BP to get to the gate . . . . Overheard family members waiting for a US flight to arrive:

I'm never flying THIS airline! It's FIFTEEN MINUTES LATE!!!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
I remember a number of years ago - waaaaaay back when, before you needed a BP to get to the gate . . . . Overheard family members waiting for a US flight to arrive:

I'm never flying THIS airline! It's FIFTEEN MINUTES LATE!!!
I see it all the time on Facebook. "I'm never flying Delta again!! </inaneRant>"

I'm not saying I am going to jump ship over this one delay. I'm actually embracing the competition-means cheaper DL fares and more upgrade frequency on this dreadful route.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I want to fly on-time - no matter what. If the plane is "broken"- I'll fly it anyways, I have somewhere to go. If we crash on the way, well that's a risk I'll take. GIVE ME A BREAK.

So DL had a delay today = I'll switch to WN. Enjoy WN.

Delta overall has a very good on-time record this year. For me 1 delay on 70 flts. (knock on wood). But if I get 1 more, I'm going with WN.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Sure, WN might win some customers from this. All they need to do to keep them is never have a late flight themselves and always be cheaper. Easy as pie!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
. . . . . and more upgrade frequency on this dreadful route.
When you fly WN, and <jokingly> say to the FA when you board - "I'm sitting in first class", they'll quickly point out to you, that, EVERY seat if first class!

Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kettle1
I want to fly on-time - no matter what. If the plane is "broken"- I'll fly it anyways, I have somewhere to go. If we crash on the way, well that's a risk I'll take.
When you go outside in the morning and find your car in flames, do you get in and drive it to work anyway?

Mechanical delays are a fact of flying life. It's cute that you seem to think WN doesn't have them.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I would not as there is a 0% chance of upgrade and a piss poor FFP.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Perhaps not a direct cause. But I bet many who take the route regularly are going to take the new WN direct into stronger consideration after today's little episode, and ma/pa kettle are certainly excited about it given DL's sour reputation with a lot of that community.

All I was saying is it is very unfortunate timing for this to happen with a thriving competitor coming in and duplicating DLs route in just a few weeks.
Your premise is just incredible. Over 80 percent of the plane is not people who "take the route regularly". Of those that do take the route "regularly" they will know that the flight doesn't usually delay like that. Then there is you and one other person. All of the other people who regularly the route (or even don't), got lucky, it wasn't their time up for the delay and won't know anything about it. Bottom line is that one flight delay means as near to zero as possible.

WN DOES have a positive view in the "ma/pa kettle" community. But I don't buy the premise that Delta has a default "sour" one.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:28 am

When you go outside in the morning and find your car in flames, do you get in and drive it to work anyway?

Mechanical delays are a fact of flying life. It's cute that you seem to think WN doesn't have them.
I think you missed the point of his/her post. ZOOOOOOM, right over yer head!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.