Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lifetime SkyClub members who are also Diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist

Just curious, anyone have any idea about how many people are currently Diamond Medallion and have a lifetime SkyClub membership? Since DL hasn't offered a lifetime membership for as far back as I can remember, the folks that have one have to be like me from NW or from PA (so prior to '92).

I can't imagine the number would be in the thousands, but I'm just a dumb guy with a bag tag that makes a lot of noise. Remember, I'm talking lifetime members who are also Diamond. I'm sure there might be thousands of lifetime members.

I have a lifetime that I purchased with NW way back in the day, and it kind p*sses me off that one of my Diamond benefits is a free SkyClub membership. I've been lobbying with DL to let me pick another Choice Benefit since the free SkyClub membership does diddlysquat for me. Thus far, it's been a struggle. I've asked if I could gift the membership to someone, or instead of gifting my wife Gold status, let it be Platinum. Can you say brick wall?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
same boat here.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Only a PM but have Lifetime SC, DL AMEX Reserve, AMEX Plat. Would like another choice benefit as well.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I see your point, but to be honest, I think they are already doing you a favor by honoring the lifetime membership. With bankruptcies and buyouts I'm sure they had multiple times when they could have stopped honoring this. Your lifetime membership was not to Sky Club, it was to World Club, which no longer exists.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Same here. I got my lifetime NW in 2000, and while I am pleased it was not eliminated in the merger, it would be nice to get a little something, maybe a few Sky Club passes to give to family or colleagues.

T2
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
How much was a lifetime skyclub membership when they offered it?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
In 2000, it was $1900 with Plat status. I think I worked it out as a 8.5 year payoff.

Last edited by tartetatin2; Oct 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reason: Math
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by tartetatin2
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
In 2000, it was $1900 with Plat status. I think I worked it out as a 8.5 year payoff.
Ugh. Wish I knew about that haha.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Mildly off-topic but I bought a 3-year membership (possibly from NW immediately pre full merger) ahead of rumors of rate increases, but before the announcement of the DM club benefit.

I tend post post 150Kish MQM per year which keeps me high with rollover----even now I'll get my MQDs early in the year.

My regret is when I finally step of the constant-travel-train, I'll likely have very little use of additional 3 years of SC that will kick in...oh well. I think my last card's expiration lists 2018?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
I'm in that boat, too

As a graduation gift when I graduated high school in 1997 I asked my parents for a Lifetime WorldClubs membership. It was one of the smartest purchases ever.

I also bought one for my Partner during the merger right before they stopped selling them. Second smartest purchase ever. I'm Diamond and have been since it started, but it's still quite nice (especially since we live in Seattle and enjoy using the Alaska Boardrooms with our SkyClub Membership).
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Same. I asked Jeff Robertson about this during the 2010 DL-FT DO and he claimed this only applied "to a handful" of current DM members so DL never offered an alternative benefit. I was tossed a handful of SC passes as a 1x benefit.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Same. I asked Jeff Robertson about this during the 2010 DL-FT DO and he claimed this only applied "to a handful" of current DM members so DL never offered an alternative benefit. I was tossed a handful of SC passes as a 1x benefit.
I was told by a reliable source at DL that there are in the neighborhood 40,000 lifetime memberships out there. They have no idea how many of those are Diamond, or for that matter, how many are still alive.

I doubt that there are that many that meet the qualifications of having lifetime, are Diamond, and are alive. As you said, Mr. Robertson said it's just a "handful".
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
A DM with Lifetime SC, DL AMEX Reserve, AMEX Platinum.

Would like additional choice benefits as well.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Only a PM but have Lifetime SC, DL AMEX Reserve, AMEX Plat. Would like another choice benefit as well.
Me too because I have three or four ways to access SCs. Realistically, I know it's not going to happen.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I see your point, but to be honest, I think they are already doing you a favor by honoring the lifetime membership. With bankruptcies and buyouts I'm sure they had multiple times when they could have stopped honoring this. Your lifetime membership was not to Sky Club, it was to World Club, which no longer exists.
actually DL couldn't reject Lifetime memberships legally (not that it wouldn't have been a PR nightmare even if they legally could) ...DL merged with NWA including all of it's subsidiaries including NWA WorldClubs Inc (yes that was it's legal name)....the resulting company had to honor each and every obligation of the predecessor companies....doesn't matter that NWA WorldClubs Inc was merged into other parts of DL, would be like changing your name then calling your mortgage company and saying you have a different name and aren't responsible for making payments any longer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.