Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK T4 gets automated passport systems for US citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold

I guess it's similar to GE?

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/jfk-ge...ays-8C11348132
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Weird. Reading from the O'Hare site's explanation it seems almost like unnecessary redundancy...I'm curious how it it somehow more efficient. http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/EN/A...t-Control.aspx

Still glad I have GE.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by vgb2001
I guess it's similar to GE?
The description makes it seem exactly the same as GE, except for no application fee and no interview. (And no fingerprints?)

Why would CPB set up two nearly identical but competing systems? #Confused.

Perhaps DLCorpGalNYC could comment? Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
My understanding is that this for all US Passport holders, not just those enrolled in GE. But I don't think this gets you expedited through Customs, just Passport Control.

GE still would expedite your arrival by shorting or eliminating your wait at Customs. On the other hand, no fingerprints or interview is required to use the kiosks.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerwma
CPB set up two nearly identical but competing systems? #Confused.
$50k is a lot cheaper than a CBP agent...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that the automated system is immigration only, not customs. You would still complete the blue customs form and wait in the line to answer questions and exit customs. In fact, the line might be longer because the immigration officers no longer essentially "prescreen" who gets additional customs questions or secondaries.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:52 am

But it sounds like someone checks the receipt and passport right after the kiosk. That sounds, to me at least, needlessly redundant.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sky303
But it sounds like someone checks the receipt and passport right after the kiosk. That sounds, to me at least, needlessly redundant.
Then the machine is just replacing the step of the immigration officer entering data from the passport. For people without GE, I'm not sure whether this is currently done by typing or by scanning the passport.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:59 am

I would also imagine with everyone's unfamiliarity with the system, there will be lines galore. At least with GE they give you a demo. After seeing the average person try to work a DL kiosk, I can't say I'm optomistic about how the public will be using these.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Having used these before, you still have to fill a customs form and present it. Just saves actually swiping the passport. Honestly it just diverts delay to customs
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Having used these before, you still have to fill a customs form and present it. Just saves actually swiping the passport. Honestly it just diverts delay to customs
I sure hope they have a good system to let folks with GE bypass the long customs lines.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It seems that most of the posters in this thread haven't bothered to read the links, which contradict many of the statements posters have made. From http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/EN/A...t-Control.aspx

APC is a free service and does not require pre-registration or membership. Instead of filling out a declaration card, passengers who are eligible (Only U.S. passport holders at this time) can proceed directly to a self-service kiosk in the passport control area.

Travelers will be prompted to answer a series of questions at the touch screen self-service kiosk. Once passengers have completed the series of questions, a receipt will be issued. Travelers then bring their passport, travel information and receipt to a CBP officer for verification.
So no need to fill out a declaration card, but you do still have to see a CBP officer. Unclear how much (if any) benefit there is. My reading is that you have to see a CBP officer both at immigration (to show your receipt, unlike with global entry) and at Customs (like global entry). Presumably the CBP officer is primarily verifying that the traveller's face matches the passport photo since there's no fingerprint verification (unlike Global Entry), so maybe it's marginally faster than speaking to a CBP agent at immigration as normal.

I note that Australia and New Zealand both have electronic face-recognition machines ("SmartGate") for all Australia and NZ electronic passport holders (as well as US passport holders with Global Entry), so avoiding this step is possible with current technology.

Last edited by ashill; Oct 7, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: clarify
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:14 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Hi all - yes, we've purchased 40 of these kiosks for T4. At previous airports they have cut the time spent with a CBP agent in half (from one minute, to 30 seconds).
They will go live in a testing phase today and tomorrow (we'll select a few hundred passengers to use them), and if the testing is successful they will go live for all U.S. citizens to use on Wednesday.
While this should help alleviate some of the delays, we have told CBP that we do not see this as a solution to the problem at T4 -- we still need them to adequately staff the facility, especially at peak times.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Hi all - yes, we've purchased 40 of these kiosks for T4. At previous airports they have cut the time spent with a CBP agent in half (from one minute, to 30 seconds).
They will go live in a testing phase today and tomorrow (we'll select a few hundred passengers to use them), and if the testing is successful they will go live for all U.S. citizens to use on Wednesday.
While this should help alleviate some of the delays, we have told CBP that we do not see this as a solution to the problem at T4 -- we still need them to adequately staff the facility, especially at peak times.
Hi DLCorpGalNYC Thank you for the update. It's always nice to hear from you. I love flying Delta and hope to meet you sometime knowing we both share a common interest (DL).

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC
Please put these in T7 instead.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.