Community
Wiki Posts
Search

business: CDG-PHL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

business: CDG-PHL

Which is better, Delta (757) or USAirways (Airbus 300, I think)
This is for June 30.
Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by pease
Which is better, Delta (757) or USAirways (Airbus 300, I think).
It'll be an A330 on USAirways. Their Envoy class on the Airbus gets great reviews (I haven't tried it TATL). Transatlantic BE on Delta's 757s is nothing to write home about in my experience. If FF benefits are immaterial and price is about the same, I'd go with US.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have done TATL in DL 757 and US A332s and have the following perceptions:

HARD PRODUCT: Hands down the US Envoy service. The new Envoy Suites are quite nice and completely lie flat. The IFE is also rather good. If you are traveling alone the 2-2-2 configuration is nice as you can get a seat in the middle group and not have someone climbing over you to get to the lavatory.

SOFT PRODUCT: IMHO DL edges out US on this. The BE meal service is better as is the service excellence provided by the FAs.

If it were me and I was not worried about making status on DL for the year I'd opt for the US flight. The widevbodies always seem to make the TATL flights more comfortable.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL has a nice new lounge at PHL. At CDG, you have use of the AF (business class) lounges and elite security and passport control lines. If US is using Terminal 1 at CDG, it's old, badly designed, and inconvenient for public transportation such as the RER to/from Paris.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Delta 757-200E

We'll be wanting to book business for a non-stop flight back to PHL from CDG. From what I can tell, the US Airbus flight is the more comfortable one, but the Delta flight leaves CDG at a better time for us.

Is the 757-200E all that bad in business? It's interesting how much more narrow the seats are. (I realize that the plane itself is more narrow.) I don't think we'd miss the fact of seats not fully reclining (or maybe we would!), but the width of the 757 seats surprised me.

I welcome opinions. Thanks in advance.

(Btw, I've had no luck in using Delta ff miles since they don't do one-way tickets as some of the other airlines do. We're not real frequent flyers, so we don't have enormous numbers of miles.)
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:03 pm

I find the 75E to be a very nice aircraft. The business seat is actually wider on the DL 757 (21 inches) than it it on the US A330 (20.5 inches), according to SeatGuru.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:03 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
I generally am not sleeping much westbound so I would go with whichever is more affordable and works better for your time. Going eastbound I would have answered differently...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for prompt replies.
The US Airways is an A330-200. It supposedly has seats that are 25" wide (or maybe 24- not sure).
I agree about not sleeping much on westbound (though the Delta flight leaves at 4:30 p.m., so maybe we would try to sleep some).
Thanks again.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pease
Many thanks for prompt replies.
The US Airways is an A330-200. It supposedly has seats that are 25" wide (or maybe 24- not sure).
I agree about not sleeping much on westbound (though the Delta flight leaves at 4:30 p.m., so maybe we would try to sleep some).
Thanks again.
Where is that information from? This is not accurate, as far as I know. Perhaps you are looking at very old information from when USair used to have 3 class cabins and their international first class was bigger? I don't think they could fit 25" wide seats in the 4 across pattern that they fly....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Their website says 25" with armrest down; 20.5 inches wide with armrest up. Since I'm not a frequent flyer, I'm not even sure exactly what that means. In effect, are the seats no wider than the Delta, I wonder?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: DL, UA
I believe what this means is that the aisle armrest can be lowered which in effect creates a wider seat/bed. When the armrest is down, obviously the seats are significantly wider, but you typically wouldn't do this unless you were putting the seat into flat-bed mode.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:59 am

If you decide to go with Delta, I prefer the C/D side (preferably row 2 or 3, but I generally dislike bulkheads). 1A is the pilot rest seat and the curtain track impedes into 1B, 2A, and 2B which, in turn, seems to cause Row 2 to recline more, which leads Row 3 to recline, etc.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:22 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
From a hard product perspective, US wins in a landslide here. You have a widebody aircraft with flat bed seats all with aisle access compared to a single aisle aircraft with a 90's style reclining seat.

On other things Delta will win - their food will likely be better, pillow/blanket better, amenity kit nicer, and service will likely in general be better. Also, no clue what lounge US uses in CDG, but the Air France lounges are excellent in my opinion, especially the new one at the M gates.

I guess what you need to decide what is more important - the seat or the extras.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

757-200E

Trying to decide whether to spring for business class. I know, e.g. that Envoy on USAirways is significantly better than coach, but don't know if same is true on Delta. (This would be CDG-PHL.)
If economy isn't much worse than business, I hope that someone can suggest what two seats to ask for.
Thanks!!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
The 757s they use across the pond are the BE outfitted seats with 16 in the J cabin vs 22-26 standard domestic seats. Google 757 business elite seats and see pics and reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.