Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed: Award Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Advice Needed: Award Ticket?

Hi,

Try to keep this short. I'm going to LAS for Superbowl. Leaving Saturday, Feb 2, Returning Tues, Feb 4. My home base is FWA and I can get a reward coach ticket for 32,500 skypesos with early departure and one connection. I am quickly learning that if I want the seat, I should "purchse" it. I am a new FO and even if I don't do award I know my upgrade chance = 0 let alone I believe an award ticket cannot upgrade complimentary for FO.

So... I could fly out of DTW (little under 2.5 hour drive) on this itinerary in F:

Depart DTW 8:35 AM Arrive LAX 10:56 AM (737-900)
Depart LAX 12:00 Noon Arrive LAS 1:13 PM (A319)

Depart LAS 8:00 AM Arrive SLC 10:16 AM (737-800)
Depart SLC 11:05 AM Arrive DTW 4:38 PM (757... appears by seatmap 75U)

Finally to the question: Decent deal for F on skypesos out of DTW? I recently moved to FW from South Dakota so driving a 2-3 hours was common unless we paid through the nose out of our home airport (25K pop).

I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger but know there is wisdom here that will lead me straight. Or astray...

Last edited by cessna172rspilot; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:25 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Feb 2 is Sunday, not Saturday. Low level First class would be 45,000 miles roundtrip. I think you are looking at Economy class flights.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:14 am

You are correct that FO's are not eligible for complimentary upgrades on award tickets.

Also remember it's $150 to change or redeposit an award ticket

Last edited by deltadiva; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:24 am Reason: added change info
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I'm sorry. It IS Saturday, February 1st. And all legs are in F. Also see I didn't include the F award price of 45K.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cessna172rspilot
I'm sorry. It IS Saturday, February 1st. And all legs are in F. Also see I didn't include the F award price of 45K.
I'm confused. When you say all legs are in F, do you mean First? In your original post above, you first say coach and then you say F. An all First class award would be 45K minimum.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
I'm confused. When you say all legs are in F, do you mean First? In your original post above, you first say coach and then you say F. An all First class award would be 45K mininum.
I can get a coach ticket out of Fort Wayne, IN for 32.5K (didn't provide itinerary) OR a First class ticket on all legs out of DTW (approx. 2.5 hour away-no big deal for me) for 45K miles.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Either one sounds like a deal that you should grab before DL hikes up the price of tickets to the superbowl. Are you sure the dates are right? I would have expected nothing but high/peak for superbowl weekend.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can get a coach ticket out of Fort Wayne, IN for 32.5K (didn't provide itinerary) OR a First class ticket on all legs out of DTW (approx. 2.5 hour away-no big deal for me) for 45K miles.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.
I'd consider IND-LAS via LAX. Currently prices at $277.60. Earns quite a few miles and you might have a shot at an upgrade on the IND-LAX/LAX-IND segments.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Either one sounds like a deal that you should grab before DL hikes up the price of tickets to the superbowl. Are you sure the dates are right? I would have expected nothing but high/peak for superbowl weekend.
You read my mind. I pulled the trigger on the DTW itinerary in F. I was kind of surprised there was availability at decent times btw at that price.

LBJ: Thanks for the input. I thought hard about just buying the ticket and looking for an upgrade but really wanted to do F on this Vegas trip. However the price was reasonable why would it show 80K for an award ticket out of IND for F on same date with that low of fare for Y?

Just curious....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Just out of curiousity, why would the tickets to LAS be hiked up for Super Bowl weekend when the 2014 Super Bowl will be in NYC - well, technically in New Jersey? I don't have much experience with Vegas (although I am taking my first trip there shortly), but is there a different "superbowl" event in Vegas the same weekend as the NFL Super Bowl in NYC or is Super Bowl weekend a higher-than-usual demand weekend for Vegas?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Hi,

Try to keep this short. I'm going to LAS for Superbowl. Leaving Saturday, Feb 2, Returning Tues, Feb 4. My home base is FWA and I can get a reward coach ticket for 32,500 skypesos with early departure and one connection. I am quickly learning that if I want the seat, I should "purchse" it. I am a new FO and even if I don't do award I know my upgrade chance = 0 let alone I believe an award ticket cannot upgrade complimentary for FO.

So... I could fly out of DTW (little under 2.5 hour drive) on this itinerary in F:

Depart DTW 8:35 AM Arrive LAX 10:56 AM (737-900)
Depart LAX 12:00 Noon Arrive LAS 1:13 PM (A319)

Depart LAS 8:00 AM Arrive SLC 10:16 AM (737-800)
Depart SLC 11:05 AM Arrive DTW 4:38 PM (757... appears by seatmap 75U)

Finally to the question: Decent deal for F on skypesos out of DTW? I recently moved to FW from South Dakota so driving a 2-3 hours was common unless we paid through the nose out of our home airport (25K pop).

I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger but know there is wisdom here that will lead me straight. Or astray...
Don't hesitate to check DAY if you're willing to drive 2+ hours. DAY is just as close to Fort Wayne, IN (2 hr 15 min). South Bend, IN (SBN - 1 hr 45 min) and Indianapolis (IND - 2 hr 15 min) are also options.
But if you're okay with driving to DTW, I'd pull the trigger on the DTW-LAS-LAX-SLC-DTW itinerary. 45K for confirmed F across the country over 32.5K for Economy is an easy choice for me. I'll take the 45K in FC every time for flights this long.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Just out of curiousity, why would the tickets to LAS be hiked up for Super Bowl weekend when the 2014 Super Bowl will be in NYC - well, technically in New Jersey? I don't have much experience with Vegas (although I am taking my first trip there shortly), but is there a different "superbowl" event in Vegas the same weekend as the NFL Super Bowl in NYC or is Super Bowl weekend a higher-than-usual demand weekend for Vegas?
There is no separate "event" per se. However, LV is known as the "next best thing" as it's billed if you can't actually go to the SB. A combination of enthusiastic fans and the legalized gambling on the game make it such....
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
No personal experience, but I'd expect it to be a big party weekend there, with people coming for the sports betting as well as the general atmosphere.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

No personal experience, but I'd expect it to be a big party weekend there, with people coming for the sports betting as well as the general atmosphere.
There is no separate "event" per se. However, LV is known as the "next best thing" as it's billed if you can't actually go to the SB. A combination of enthusiastic fans and the legalized gambling on the game make it such....
Makes sense I guess. Not like I have to worry about my 0-4 NY Giants making the Super Bowl this year though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.