Advice Needed: Award Ticket?

Old Oct 2, 13, 9:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Advice Needed: Award Ticket?

Hi,

Try to keep this short. I'm going to LAS for Superbowl. Leaving Saturday, Feb 2, Returning Tues, Feb 4. My home base is FWA and I can get a reward coach ticket for 32,500 skypesos with early departure and one connection. I am quickly learning that if I want the seat, I should "purchse" it. I am a new FO and even if I don't do award I know my upgrade chance = 0 let alone I believe an award ticket cannot upgrade complimentary for FO.

So... I could fly out of DTW (little under 2.5 hour drive) on this itinerary in F:

Depart DTW 8:35 AM Arrive LAX 10:56 AM (737-900)
Depart LAX 12:00 Noon Arrive LAS 1:13 PM (A319)

Depart LAS 8:00 AM Arrive SLC 10:16 AM (737-800)
Depart SLC 11:05 AM Arrive DTW 4:38 PM (757... appears by seatmap 75U)

Finally to the question: Decent deal for F on skypesos out of DTW? I recently moved to FW from South Dakota so driving a 2-3 hours was common unless we paid through the nose out of our home airport (25K pop).

I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger but know there is wisdom here that will lead me straight. Or astray...

Last edited by cessna172rspilot; Oct 2, 13 at 10:25 am
cessna172rspilot is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 9:57 am
  #2  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Feb 2 is Sunday, not Saturday. Low level First class would be 45,000 miles roundtrip. I think you are looking at Economy class flights.
LBJ is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:14 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ATL- DL FF since '81, MM since '94
Posts: 127
You are correct that FO's are not eligible for complimentary upgrades on award tickets.

Also remember it's $150 to change or redeposit an award ticket

Last edited by deltadiva; Oct 2, 13 at 10:24 am Reason: added change info
deltadiva is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:19 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
I'm sorry. It IS Saturday, February 1st. And all legs are in F. Also see I didn't include the F award price of 45K.
cessna172rspilot is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:27 am
  #5  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by cessna172rspilot View Post
I'm sorry. It IS Saturday, February 1st. And all legs are in F. Also see I didn't include the F award price of 45K.
I'm confused. When you say all legs are in F, do you mean First? In your original post above, you first say coach and then you say F. An all First class award would be 45K minimum.

Last edited by LBJ; Oct 2, 13 at 10:32 am
LBJ is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:34 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I'm confused. When you say all legs are in F, do you mean First? In your original post above, you first say coach and then you say F. An all First class award would be 45K mininum.
I can get a coach ticket out of Fort Wayne, IN for 32.5K (didn't provide itinerary) OR a First class ticket on all legs out of DTW (approx. 2.5 hour away-no big deal for me) for 45K miles.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.
cessna172rspilot is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:39 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,677
Either one sounds like a deal that you should grab before DL hikes up the price of tickets to the superbowl. Are you sure the dates are right? I would have expected nothing but high/peak for superbowl weekend.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 10:44 am
  #8  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by cessna172rspilot View Post
I can get a coach ticket out of Fort Wayne, IN for 32.5K (didn't provide itinerary) OR a First class ticket on all legs out of DTW (approx. 2.5 hour away-no big deal for me) for 45K miles.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.
I'd consider IND-LAS via LAX. Currently prices at $277.60. Earns quite a few miles and you might have a shot at an upgrade on the IND-LAX/LAX-IND segments.
LBJ is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:15 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Either one sounds like a deal that you should grab before DL hikes up the price of tickets to the superbowl. Are you sure the dates are right? I would have expected nothing but high/peak for superbowl weekend.
You read my mind. I pulled the trigger on the DTW itinerary in F. I was kind of surprised there was availability at decent times btw at that price.

LBJ: Thanks for the input. I thought hard about just buying the ticket and looking for an upgrade but really wanted to do F on this Vegas trip. However the price was reasonable why would it show 80K for an award ticket out of IND for F on same date with that low of fare for Y?

Just curious....
cessna172rspilot is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:45 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Posts: 2,594
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Either one sounds like a deal that you should grab before DL hikes up the price of tickets to the superbowl. Are you sure the dates are right? I would have expected nothing but high/peak for superbowl weekend.
Just out of curiousity, why would the tickets to LAS be hiked up for Super Bowl weekend when the 2014 Super Bowl will be in NYC - well, technically in New Jersey? I don't have much experience with Vegas (although I am taking my first trip there shortly), but is there a different "superbowl" event in Vegas the same weekend as the NFL Super Bowl in NYC or is Super Bowl weekend a higher-than-usual demand weekend for Vegas?
FlyDeltaJets87 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 11:48 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Posts: 2,594
Originally Posted by cessna172rspilot View Post
Hi,

Try to keep this short. I'm going to LAS for Superbowl. Leaving Saturday, Feb 2, Returning Tues, Feb 4. My home base is FWA and I can get a reward coach ticket for 32,500 skypesos with early departure and one connection. I am quickly learning that if I want the seat, I should "purchse" it. I am a new FO and even if I don't do award I know my upgrade chance = 0 let alone I believe an award ticket cannot upgrade complimentary for FO.

So... I could fly out of DTW (little under 2.5 hour drive) on this itinerary in F:

Depart DTW 8:35 AM Arrive LAX 10:56 AM (737-900)
Depart LAX 12:00 Noon Arrive LAS 1:13 PM (A319)

Depart LAS 8:00 AM Arrive SLC 10:16 AM (737-800)
Depart SLC 11:05 AM Arrive DTW 4:38 PM (757... appears by seatmap 75U)

Finally to the question: Decent deal for F on skypesos out of DTW? I recently moved to FW from South Dakota so driving a 2-3 hours was common unless we paid through the nose out of our home airport (25K pop).

I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger but know there is wisdom here that will lead me straight. Or astray...
Don't hesitate to check DAY if you're willing to drive 2+ hours. DAY is just as close to Fort Wayne, IN (2 hr 15 min). South Bend, IN (SBN - 1 hr 45 min) and Indianapolis (IND - 2 hr 15 min) are also options.
But if you're okay with driving to DTW, I'd pull the trigger on the DTW-LAS-LAX-SLC-DTW itinerary. 45K for confirmed F across the country over 32.5K for Economy is an easy choice for me. I'll take the 45K in FC every time for flights this long.
FlyDeltaJets87 is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 12:14 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 View Post
Just out of curiousity, why would the tickets to LAS be hiked up for Super Bowl weekend when the 2014 Super Bowl will be in NYC - well, technically in New Jersey? I don't have much experience with Vegas (although I am taking my first trip there shortly), but is there a different "superbowl" event in Vegas the same weekend as the NFL Super Bowl in NYC or is Super Bowl weekend a higher-than-usual demand weekend for Vegas?
There is no separate "event" per se. However, LV is known as the "next best thing" as it's billed if you can't actually go to the SB. A combination of enthusiastic fans and the legalized gambling on the game make it such....
cessna172rspilot is offline  
Old Oct 2, 13, 2:00 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,677
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 View Post
Just out of curiousity, why would the tickets to LAS be hiked up for Super Bowl weekend when the 2014 Super Bowl will be in NYC - well, technically in New Jersey? I don't have much experience with Vegas (although I am taking my first trip there shortly), but is there a different "superbowl" event in Vegas the same weekend as the NFL Super Bowl in NYC or is Super Bowl weekend a higher-than-usual demand weekend for Vegas?
No personal experience, but I'd expect it to be a big party weekend there, with people coming for the sports betting as well as the general atmosphere.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 3, 13, 11:57 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Posts: 2,594
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
No personal experience, but I'd expect it to be a big party weekend there, with people coming for the sports betting as well as the general atmosphere.
Originally Posted by cessna172rspilot View Post
There is no separate "event" per se. However, LV is known as the "next best thing" as it's billed if you can't actually go to the SB. A combination of enthusiastic fans and the legalized gambling on the game make it such....
Makes sense I guess. Not like I have to worry about my 0-4 NY Giants making the Super Bowl this year though.
FlyDeltaJets87 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: