Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FF Luggage tags on personal carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Nexus, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
FF Luggage tags on personal carry-on

I have a sincere question about delta's ff tags. Now that the back does not have a scannable barcode or frequent flyer ID or any helpful information on it, is there any reason why people have them on their small personal carry-on? I get why they are on roller boards, duffels, etc since those may need to be gate checked on regionals, but can't, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would need it on their personal carry-on (I.e. Backpack, purse, CPU bag, etc.). Is there something I am missing?...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are seriously some people out there who believe DL's marketing hype to the effect that a shiny plastic card (tag) reflecting status means that you really are "elite". Pity them.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Same reason people buy Louis Vuitton luggage with all the logos all over it.... Folks want to be big shots.

I still have my old ones with the barcode, which are a great way to get your reservation pulled up on the kiosk....I hope they don't break
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Do people leave their "Elite" luggage tags on when they no longer hold status? It seems I always see people who are flying coach with Diamond medallion tags when I've been either been upgraded on flights or at the top of the upgrade list.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I haven't had any tags on any luggage in a couple of years but I am not beyond doing it again.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL GM
As long as you have a luggage tag with name and address that matches your SM account info there is no reason to attach medallion tags. Period. DL will find you in their system if necessary.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM HHonors Gold
I suppose if your "sincere question" was in search of a "sincere answer" you would ask them directly instead of coming here looking for speculation ....
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
It's been awhile, but we've been down this road. Some think its DYKWIA, others want to show off, some don't care...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ggage-tag.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-bag-tags.html

I have not one, but two, elite tags on my bag...gasp

Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I still have my old ones with the barcode, which are a great way to get your reservation pulled up on the kiosk....I hope they don't break
Has this worked for you recently? I tried scanning my 2012 tag at the kiosk the other day, and it gave me an error. I wasn't sure if the barcodes no longer works since they aren't printed anymore or if there was some other explanation.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I have one on my backpack so the kettles standing in line understand why I get to jump in front of them via the Sky Priority lane when I leave the Sky Club late.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
My tags have the bar code with my FF#. Same with my wife's tags. Definitely has helped us get into lounges, etc, when traveling internationally with partner airlines. Many agents have asked us for proof of status (even if it shows in their system). Much easier to have on my backpack than digging it out of my wallet. I suspect many international flyers might do the same.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Nexus, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by NYCflip
My tags have the bar code with my FF#. Same with my wife's tags. Definitely has helped us get into lounges, etc, when traveling internationally with partner airlines. Many agents have asked us for proof of status (even if it shows in their system). Much easier to have on my backpack than digging it out of my wallet. I suspect many international flyers might do the same.
Thanks...this makes perfect sense.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm proudest of the FT bag tag on my backpack but never in the last 4 years has anyone said anything about it.

I do get comments about the TWA Ambassador Club and EA Ionosphere Club bag tags that are there with the DL FO tag.

My wife keeps old DL PM tags on her carry ons since they have her SM number. Sometimes a CO PM tag as well.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:11 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I usually fly FC and put the FO tag on just so I can announce to my wife - look we're flying in First - as I walk from the GA. It's fun to watch the other medallions assume I got UG before them.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have several memberships (as many of you do, I am sure), but I only keep the tag of the airline in my itinerary that has my complete information and I trust would make an effort to return the bag to me if I lose it. I take the airline tag off once I am done flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.