Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booked a non-changeable fare for wrong date. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CL, DL Silver, AA

During a busy week, I accidentally booked a non-changeable fare for the wrong date (two months in advance). I've called two separate helplines with no luck, including a silver medallion line. Does anyone have:

(i) Any experience successfully getting a variation out of Delta; or
(ii) Ethical opinions on whether I ought to cancel for no value? I am not particularly eager to help Delta sell the seat again.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
No. But they will gladly change it for $200 (domestically) . FO are not elite enough for a change fee waiver out of pure error. Perhaps if you were Gold you'd have a shot. As a Double Diamond DYKWIA I frequently get change fees waived.

You can ask and beg but chances are you won't get one. Best bet is to play agent roulette: call enough times and talk to enough supervisors you may get one to do it out of one time generosity. Especially if they are having a good day.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I'd love to pay a change fee - they aren't letting me change at all!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by excalibur713
I'd love to pay a change fee - they aren't letting me change at all!
Well now that's a different story. How much did you pay for the fare. What class is it? Could you send the fare basis?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

It's nonchangeable, so they're on solid footing - they're not violating policies or anything. It just seems like it leaves both sides worse off...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it one of the new E fares? Or is it a ticket that originates outside of the USA? How much did you pay?

Have you looked at the fare rules yourself? Some allow changes of date only, but not routing or origin/destination, etc. Perhaps when you called the agents said unchangeable before you explained the changes that were needed.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
From past experience, if the ticket value is less than the change fee, they won't change it since it would be cheaper to buy a whole new ticket.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
wait until day of flight - and if there is a delay or cancellation, say trip in vain and get a refund
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you purchase an 'E' fare ticket? If so, unfortunately you're screwed on getting anything done with it.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
wait until day of flight - and if there is a delay or cancellation, say trip in vain and get a refund
This is probably the best you're going to get, in my view.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it one of the new E fares? Or is it a ticket that originates outside of the USA? How much did you pay?

Have you looked at the fare rules yourself? Some allow changes of date only, but not routing or origin/destination, etc. Perhaps when you called the agents said unchangeable before you explained the changes that were needed.
Good point. I paid about $800, it originates outside the US and is a V not E fare.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
During a busy week, I accidentally booked a non-changeable fare for the wrong date (two months in advance). I've called two separate helplines with no luck, including a silver medallion line. Does anyone have:

(i) Any experience successfully getting a variation out of Delta; or
(ii) Ethical opinions on whether I ought to cancel for no value? I am not particularly eager to help Delta sell the seat again.
(iii) A practical consideration is that if you don't cancel and book another ticket that's inconsistent with this one, such as traveling the same route one day later, DL could detect the double booking and cancel both reservations for you.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If the fare rule specifies no changes/cancellations, there really is nothing to do other than to fly exactly as scheduled. These are rock bottom fares, but they are truly inflexible as opposed to penalty fares which can be changed for a fee.

2. Whether you cancel or not doesn't really matter to DL. DL counts on no-shows and will simply SB somebody who might otherwise not have made the flight. The person you are helping is a fellow pax who might really need a confirmed seat, but can't obtain it. Waiting until shortly before departure to cancel meets your and the other pax's needs.

3. As others note, if you do book another DL itinerary which conflicts with this one, you run the risk of one or both being cancelled.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
(iii) A practical consideration is that if you don't cancel and book another ticket that's inconsistent with this one, such as traveling the same route one day later, DL could detect the double booking and cancel both reservations for you.
I can tell from googling that AA would detect a double booking. Does Delta have something similar to SAGE?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Good point. I paid about $800, it originates outside the US and is a V not E fare.
I would hold onto it for now. If travel isn't for another two months, you might luck yourself into a schedule change which would allow you to change/cancel without penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.