Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Guns stolen from Delta checked luggage (flown FNT-MSP-SEA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guns stolen from Delta checked luggage (flown FNT-MSP-SEA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Ammo is trivial to smuggle in body cavities through the nude-o-scopes. But TSA is so terrified of the appearance of a weapon (in belt buckles and on t-shirts) that nothing will ever happen that might benefit us.
HaHAHA..

I have 3 stickers on my laptop, "extreme shooter" (for a gunsmith), starbucks guns and coffee sticker, and an HK sticker.

Boy did that freak out a TSA agent in TTN when I flew frontier. She looked at the laptop, had a frightened face, then had to look left and right to her superiors if it was ok... I politely told her the checked bag with the 2 guns was right behind her getting checked by TSA. Priceless
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maksimfa
HaHAHA..

I have 3 stickers on my laptop, "extreme shooter" (for a gunsmith), starbucks guns and coffee sticker, and an HK sticker.

Boy did that freak out a TSA agent in TTN when I flew frontier. She looked at the laptop, had a frightened face, then had to look left and right to her superiors if it was ok... I politely told her the checked bag with the 2 guns was right behind her getting checked by TSA. Priceless
Trenton is gun country, no? Perhaps the presence of legal guns was the issue.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:55 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Crazy. I travel with guns quite often for matches, and instead of a big shooting bag, I started putting guns into a small pistol case with a lock, then put that into a checked bag, with another lock.

On one occasion I got the lock back where someone tried to get in.

Better idea, let gun owners bring unloaded guns on the plane, and ammo has to be checked.
I'd read something years ago about placing a gun in a locked box, and then placing that in a suitcase or hard case that was also locked, which meant that once they screened it, the entire bag could remain locked with a non-TSA approved lock. It's been a few years since I've read that article, but I'd never opt for a non-hard case for either of them.
HaHAHA..

LOL, I have a guns and coffee sticker like that on my car, along with my Kalashnikitty sticker.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
TSA is the number one cause of paranoina in airports!

The mere mention or image of weapons or ammo sends the TSA into a tailspin. A sticker on a laptop is just that, not a secret plot to bring down a plane.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
...the entire bag could remain locked with a non-TSA approved lock....
The TSA *requirement* is that the hard case be locked with a key or combination lock that ONLY you have the means to open. Once screened by TSA at the departure airport to make sure you conform to the rest of the requirements (weapon unloaded, magazines empty, ammo in factory containers only, not jumbled in zip-lock bags or coffee containers), you lock it up and neither they nor the baggage handlers can molest it.

Last two times I traveled with a handgun and 500 rounds of ammo, leaving SAN on Alaska, the TSA process didn't involve me opening the case (Pelican) in front of them and it just went on the conveyor and disappeared. At PDX, there was a lonely TSA guy at the oversize baggage check-in position with a swab machine, and after he looked inside in a cursory way, I locked it up and he made sure they weren't TSA-openable locks.

There is a group of folks who travel with high value gear who want to use their own pilfer-proof locks like the old days, and they've found that adding an unloaded *flare gun* to the case will trigger this relatively painless process and give them a good deal of peace of mind about the baggage pilfering thieves. The bad guys might steal the entire case, but the knowledge that it's being tracked carefully as containing unloaded firearms sounds like an effective deterrent.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you need a gun license or carry permit for the flare gun? Can you take it into places like NYC with strict gun control laws?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you need a gun license or carry permit for the flare gun? Can you take it into places like NYC with strict gun control laws?
In most states, I don't think you need a license or carry permit for a starter pistol, or a flare gun, but YMMV. I don't know about NYC, and probably wouldn't try it there.

I would guess black powder firearms would work in a similar fashion, as most of those can be purchased without a background check, IIRC.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Just to be clear, there is no Federal "license" involved. Each state has their own laws. That makes travel, especially involving NYC, a research challenge.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:45 pm

Still happeninf

We just had a pistol stolen from our checked bag flying Delta. The issue is that they tagged our bag special which is like a giant neon sign that it has something of value in it. Then they placed a tsa tag in the bag. TSA reviewed video footage and say they did not open our bag. Meanwhile the airline has asked no less than 4 times for a list of the stolen items. No one seems to take it seriously.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hanshab
We just had a pistol stolen from our checked bag flying Delta. The issue is that they tagged our bag special which is like a giant neon sign that it has something of value in it. Then they placed a tsa tag in the bag. TSA reviewed video footage and say they did not open our bag. Meanwhile the airline has asked no less than 4 times for a list of the stolen items. No one seems to take it seriously.
Did they take the whole case the gun was in? Or did they somehow break it open? Was it properly presented to TSA?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did they take the whole case the gun was in? Or did they somehow break it open? Was it properly presented to TSA?
Yes it was presented properly. They took the entire case that included the pistol, magazine and ammo.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Welp. I guess I can't check guns anymore.

This is 100% Delta's fault for sticking DO NOT SEND TO BELT on every bag with a firearm. Any idiot can guess what's in that bag. Make it anonymous, as it should be.
yohanson and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:34 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I'm curious what one would do, ignoring the fact that an item of value was stolen. I guess you should report everything you know to the police ASAP just in case something were to happen with the gun, they would know it was no longer in your possession? Given the increasing difficulty to acquire a gun if you shouldn't have one, it makes sense that people would start to steal them (not a political comment).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:20 am

I'd worry about the stolen gun being used to commit a crime. Make sure to report it to the police (not just DL) immediately and get proof that this was properly reported. I would guess that you'll also need to report the theft of the gun to your police back home or wherever it's licensed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:50 am

Was it reported to the police?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.