Wiki Posts
Search

Ceiling panel falls down at takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Ceiling panel falls down at takeoff

I was on DL10 today (767-300ER), and as we were building speed to take off, a 10 foot long ceiling panel fell down over the left hand aisle in economy, just behind Economy Comfort. A flight attendant called the pilot to abort, but we were going too fast to stop. We continued our ascent, and once we got to 10,000 feet, the pilot and copilot each came out to ensure there was no external damage. They weren't able to fix it, but after contacting ATL, decided to continue flying to LHR. Luckily, we didn't lose pressure or have to return to ATL. The crew handled the situation very well, other than the pilot being a little too jovial while making a passenger announcement. I'm glad he's a better pilot than PR person. :-)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
I was on DL10 today (767-300ER), and as we were building speed to take off, a 10 foot long ceiling panel fell down over the left hand aisle in economy, just behind Economy Comfort. A flight attendant called the pilot to abort, but we were going too fast to stop. We continued our ascent, and once we got to 10,000 feet, the pilot and copilot each came out to ensure there was no external damage. They weren't able to fix it, but after contacting ATL, decided to continue flying to LHR. Luckily, we didn't lose pressure or have to return to ATL. The crew handled the situation very well, other than the pilot being a little too jovial while making a passenger announcement. I'm glad he's a better pilot than PR person. :-)
Hope no one was hurt, but where did they store that 10' panel for an 8.5 hour flight?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW the panels have nothing to do the with cabin sealing for pressurization. The panels are meant to be removable - I wonder if one looked at the maintenance log if some work was recently done and the panel was not reinstalled correctly. Or enough vibration over hours of flights caused it fall. I have seen that with other panels though they did not fail but were loose. Most seem to be held in with plastic bits so I am not surprised.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
FWIW the panels have nothing to do the with cabin sealing for pressurization. The panels are meant to be removable
Sidewalls, roof panels, bulkheads; they're like the upholstery in the roof of your car. They're not there to hold the plane together; they're there to make the cabin look nice.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Luckily, we didn't lose pressure...
Wow. Luck didn't have anything to do with it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Skyteam
It happened on my last flight from JFK to LAX.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
once we got to 10,000 feet, the pilot and copilot each came out to ensure there was no external damage.
So... if both the pilot and copilot came out to look at the panel...... who was flying the plane?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
So... if both the pilot and copilot came out to look at the panel...... who was flying the plane?

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta, United
Why Otto of course:

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Wouldnt that be "Auto" the pilot flying the plane with "Relief" as co-pilot?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by hooverer
Wouldnt that be "Auto" the pilot flying the plane with "Relief" as co-pilot?
haha I posted the picture with "relief" first but the picture took up the entire page of FT so I switched to just otto.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's lucky that the panel didn't hit anyone in the head.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Wow. Glad I wasn't sitting there. Makes me think of that SW flight a while back where the fuselage opened up.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Time Away
Wow. Glad I wasn't sitting there. Makes me think of that SW flight a while back where the fuselage opened up.
That's very different: structural damage. This incident is closer to just a big heavy piece of wallpaper falling off.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
I seriously hope the FA didn't call during the takeoff roll. While good CRM includes all members of the crew and an FA shouldn't hesitate to alert the cockpit of something major during the takeoff (although almost anything that would cause an abort would alert in the cockpit) something like a ceiling panel can wait until 10Kft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.