Wiki Posts
Search

DL credit for KL Cityhopper flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
DL credit for KL Cityhopper flights?

I need to make 3 RTs between Germany and London this fall, so have been looking at AF and KL options. AF never comes up on DL's site, as has been discussed before. But KL is odd: consistently DL is telling me I'll only earn 1500 MQMs for a 4-leg RT because I won't earn anything on the first leg to AMS. These are all for fares (R, G, N, etc.) that earn full miles. The only thing I can think of is that these flights to AMS are KL Cityhopper flights--that's the only difference from the other ones, all of which earn the miles. And yet on DL's site it explicitly states that "Accrual only applies to KL-marketed flights operated by KLM, PrivatAir, City Hopper flights, and KL coded SkyTeam partners." Thoughts?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KL Cityhopper is identical to normal KLM flights for mileage accrual.
They do not operate under a different airline code, it's just KL (or codeshare if applicable).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
KL Cityhopper is identical to normal KLM flights for mileage accrual.
They do not operate under a different airline code, it's just KL (or codeshare if applicable).
I get that. My question is why these flights aren't earning miles.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ryanm
Answer: dl.dumb

Sorry to be short, but I am guessing it is a normal DL IT glitch, have you tried reaching out to @deltaassist on twitter or contacting DL?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Never had an issue with LHR AMS STR flights earning as long as it was a class accruing miles. I usually book these via airfrance.us as it gives me AF and KL options.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Because you haven't flown them yet

They earn miles if in the proper fare class. This is just poor DL IT.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
I need to make 3 RTs between Germany and London this fall, so have been looking at AF and KL options. AF never comes up on DL's site, as has been discussed before. But KL is odd: consistently DL is telling me I'll only earn 1500 MQMs for a 4-leg RT because I won't earn anything on the first leg to AMS. These are all for fares (R, G, N, etc.) that earn full miles. The only thing I can think of is that these flights to AMS are KL Cityhopper flights--that's the only difference from the other ones, all of which earn the miles. And yet on DL's site it explicitly states that "Accrual only applies to KL-marketed flights operated by KLM, PrivatAir, City Hopper flights, and KL coded SkyTeam partners." Thoughts?
Other have answered correctly; Cityhopper earns miles.

But depending on where you're flying out of in Germany and where you need to go in London, check out Cityjet (AF). They fly non-stop to LCY from a few German airports.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. It scares me just to trust DL/KL that they'll award the miles, but maybe I'll take a screen shot of the DL page with KL earning rules. It's a good idea to twitter about it, too--hadn't thought of that.

I may try Cityjet if I can. All things being equal I'd like to go through CDG--I can't believe I just typed those words--since I've been in AMS a lot this year and had a great experience in 2F last week.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
No issues in the past getting my miles flying KLM Cityhopper.
As always save your BP if you expect problems.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
No issues in the past getting my miles flying KLM Cityhopper.
As always save your BP if you expect problems.
Even if you don't expect problems, always save your boarding pass until the miles post correctly to your FF account.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:31 am

I just returned from a trip that included AMS-ZRH and ZRH-AMS on KLM. Each leg was in the same class, but I received miles only for the first flight, not the return. A call to Delta quickly took care of the missing miles.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
Never had an issue with LHR AMS STR flights earning as long as it was a class accruing miles. I usually book these via airfrance.us as it gives me AF and KL options.
Me neither. Although my favorite is DL64/65 direct into MAN, I often go via AMS for a change. I alwys get credit AMS-MAN etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.