Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What if I'm shy of Diamond by a few thousand miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Diamond; Hilton - Silver

I've been a platinum for several years. For 2013, I have 68,000 miles MQMs and still quite a bit of flying left in the year - five domestics Including one ATL-SFO rt) and a trip to India in November. I am pretty sure I'll get to 115K to 120K but am not sure I'll make it past 125k. My Amex card is maxed at its 20K MQMs so no more coming from there. I'm just curious whether Delta ever helps nudge anyone over since there's really quite a distance between Platinum and Diamond. Rolling over all the miles is a consolation I suppose, but it sure would be nice to get to the higher status.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, MR Titanium, HHonors Diamond
I finished with 119,071 two years ago... good enough for PM and 44,071 rollover miles. Don't count on any extra help - start planning your mileage runs or enjoy starting 2014 with 40-45K MQM in the bank.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
You can get 10K more MQMs by upgrading to the Delta Reserve AX card.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by gt6373c
I finished with 119,071 two years ago... good enough for PM and 44,071 rollover miles. Don't count on any extra help - start planning your mileage runs or enjoy starting 2014 with 40-45K MQM in the bank.
Subject to MQD requirements. The more rollover you have the more MQD's factor into your Medallion climb next year.

In similar situation as OP I'm going for DM and thus minimal MQM rollover. Starting from near zero should ensure enough MQD to qualify PM 2015. That is, if I don't status match and go with a more schedule friendly carrier....
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
I was PM for 10 years. In 2011 I flew to Rwanda and that put me over the top. 128K. Enjoyed DM for 2012. Gave my wife GM status. Got the upgrade +90% of the time. Had I not earned PM status in 2012 for 2013 I would have preferred the rollover MQMs. With the introduction of MQDs the equation changes. Depending on your DL spend if might be your last chance to enjoy DM status.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by captiveguru
I was PM for 10 years. In 2011 I flew to Rwanda and that put me over the top. 128K. Enjoyed DM for 2012. Gave my wife GM status. Got the upgrade +90% of the time. Had I not earned PM status in 2012 for 2013 I would have preferred the rollover MQMs. With the introduction of MQDs the equation changes. Depending on your DL spend if might be your last chance to enjoy DM status.
The spending part is not a problem for me, fortunately. Upgrading the Amex card might be a good idea.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by captiveguru
You can get 10K more MQMs by upgrading to the Delta Reserve AX card.
Seems to not be the case - on the web site it says

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days."

I think that means if I have the Platinum card, no soup for me.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gsiskind
Seems to not be the case - on the web site it says

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days."

I think that means if I have the Platinum card, no soup for me.
In the past, when upgrading DL AmEx cards, people have received the additional sign up points above their current card. There are complicated rules about timing and additional MQMs based on spending thresholds. YMMV but be sure to document any AmEx offers.

In previous years, DL has allowed FFers to buy MQMs at the end of the year, get them with SC membership purchases, or get some for donations to a few specified, mostly Atlanta area, charities. YMMV.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by gsiskind
I've been a platinum for several years. For 2013, I have 68,000 miles MQMs and still quite a bit of flying left in the year - five domestics Including one ATL-SFO rt) and a trip to India in November. I am pretty sure I'll get to 115K to 120K but am not sure I'll make it past 125k. My Amex card is maxed at its 20K MQMs so no more coming from there. I'm just curious whether Delta ever helps nudge anyone over since there's really quite a distance between Platinum and Diamond. Rolling over all the miles is a consolation I suppose, but it sure would be nice to get to the higher status.
DL does not bump people up if they didn't make it and they don't do soft landings. Plan accordingly.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
DL does not bump people up if they didn't make it and they don't do soft landings. Plan accordingly.
Yes. To answer the question in the thread title, you will be PM with lots of rollover.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Ti22
Subject to MQD requirements. The more rollover you have the more MQD's factor into your Medallion climb next year.
??????????????
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the past, when upgrading DL AmEx cards, people have received the additional sign up points above their current card. There are complicated rules about timing and additional MQMs based on spending thresholds. YMMV but be sure to document any AmEx offers.

In previous years, DL has allowed FFers to buy MQMs at the end of the year, get them with SC membership purchases, or get some for donations to a few specified, mostly Atlanta area, charities. YMMV.
OK, so I called and upgraded my Amex. Though it's not advertised, I was able to get a 5000 welcome mileage bonus plus I can get 10K more MQM miles for the spending bonus (plus another 15K in non-MQM miles). I also get Skyclub membership and I apparently can gift MQM mileage boosts to my wife. And a concierge, though I'm not sure what that's all about. This perk seems most intriguing:

"Receive upgrade priority over non-Delta Reserve Credit Cardmembers within Medallion level and fare class."

I'm thinking that aside from the extra 15K which should now get me to Diamond, in future when I am likely back in Platinum status, this might be helpful. Anyone else with the card notice a difference in % of upgrades?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I will finish 2013 with 122k MQMs, and I WANT the rollover of 47k MQMs. If DL bumped me up to DM, I would be furious!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:01 am

You can gift the threshold MQMs but not welcome MQMs to anyone with a DL FF account. In fact, you have three months after earning them to decide whether you need to keep them or not, but they count in the year earned, regardless of whether you make the gifting or not decision after January 1.

The additional upgrade priority only means that, for example, you beat a PM on the same H fare class as you who requested the upgrade earlier. It's helpful if you tend to miss upgrades by one, but statistically isn't likely to make much difference.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
??????????????
If OP rolls over 45k MQM, they will need to fly 5k MQM but spend $5k MQDs in order to get GM for 2015.

The MQD reference was to the fact that with rollover, it becomes harder to spend enough to meet the MQD thresholds at the same time you meet the MQM thresholds, since each year starts at zero MQD.

Doesn't sound like a problem for OP anyway, since it seems like they are spending over $25k on a DL Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.