Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
DELTA Link: Same Day Travel Changes | Delta Air Lines [as per web site July 2015, 2015]
Same-Day Confirmed

When You Need to Change Your Flight

Eligibility
  • You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
  • If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
  • If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
  • If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin
  • Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Change Fee - If your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible
  • Applicable Change Fee -These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Confirmed Fee Waived - If the requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible the $50 fee will be waived.
  • Applicable Change Fee - These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Medallion complimentary upgrades do not transfer to your rebooked ticket.
  • Trip Extras or seats purchased for the original flight do not transfer to your rebooked ticket. Please note the original terms and conditions for Trip Extras, Delta Comfort+™ and Preferred Seats.
  • The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply.
Same-Day Standby

When There Are No Seats Available

If you are unable to secure a new flight(s) with the same-day confirmed option, you can choose to fly standby with the same-day standby option.

Eligibility
  • Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.
  • Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.
  • Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.
  • No routing changes are allowed.
  • Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.
  • Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.
  • You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee - Standby fee will be collected, but your card will not be charged until you are assigned a seat on the standby flight

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee Waived

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Standby not permitted to/from Canada
  • Standby permitted for multi-segment flights. Customers must stand by for each individual flight segment. Standby fees are not refundable once you are assigned a seat on the first standby segment.
Same-Day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:
  • Within North America (except JFKLAX, JFKSEA and JFKSFO).
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska
Code:
Traveling                 Y/B/M Fares     S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles            $49             $119             $169

501 to 1,000 miles        $79             $149             $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles      $99             $209             $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles      $149            $249             $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles      $239            $269             $359

3,001 miles and up        $329            $369             $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling               Y/B/M Fares  S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles    $239         $269             $359

3,001 miles and up      $329         $369             $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling                     Y / B / M / H / Q/ K Fares

0 to 500 miles                $50

501 to 1,000 miles            $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles          $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles          $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles          $225

3,001 miles and up            $350
Print Wikipost

Improvements to Same-Day Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Just this past Sunday, I purchased the very last seat on a flight (F1P1A1Y0) about an hour and a half before departure... It does happen. Also as I indicated in my previous comment, if a flight was Y1, it was likely overbooked and now that T fare paying passenger was costing DL a VDB voucher.
You probably brought a big smile to somebody in RM.

As you say, it does happen. RM carefully projects how to populate the fare buckets, and tries to capture high fares from late bookings.

Originally Posted by Doctor Greenlite
When I talked to a rep about this on the phone a few weeks ago, she couldn't been more exasperated with the complaint. She literally said "I wish gas was $2 a gallon but that's not happening any more, sweetie."
I wish somebody would call me sweetie.

David
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, Delta actually listed to our complaint
Unfortunately too little too late as I already shifted my travel pattern away from Delta mostly because of this change. Now the SDC policy is the same maybe slightly inferior to United (unless they will also be releasing lower fare classes @ T-24).
So much goodwill and business lost
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
I guess I'm in the minority and don't mind the $50. If I need to get home earlier, want to take a different flight or even enjoy a drink with friends, then the $50 is worth it to me.

The fare class rule is what annoys/kills it for me.

Charge the money but allow it on any fare class.

Within 3 hrs - free if fare class is open. $50 if it isn't.
Within 24hrs - $50 regardless.

There ya go Delta, go ahead and implement. You can still make money and you can make customers happy-er.
+1. I can stomach the $50 for getting home to my family earlier. But if I'm on a Q and only H is available even with 20 seats for sale, I end up sitting at the coffee shop for the extra three hours.

You know what I think about during that three hour hiatus at Starbucks? If spending my $40K per year with a different airline would mean I'm having the coffee with my wife instead of a pack of green-aproned baristas.

My $.02.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Is that the new math? 1034 via DTW and 1189 via MSP. I guess if you're using miles earned, the MSP routing is 250 more, but it's not by miles flown. Also, the actual time difference departure to arrival is a whopping nine minutes.
You're right... I was using MileCalc and didn't shut off the default 500 mile minimum it throws in.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by 18sas
I believe that you are mostly correct in probably 99% of circumstances, but many people have reported some cases where this doesn't hold true.

Like this one that I reported for example.
Mersk is correct. While it is possible for V and T to have published fares available but not X, it is not possible for V to have seats but not X.

What you and others reported are temporary glitches or the DL system not sending out the correct info that is used by EF and other airlines. They fix themselves very quickly.

As to your post with E being available. E has some very spedic fares assigned to it. While it is a fare its not part of the fare structure. Kind of think of it as the same as W in AF's classes. Trust me, the wording and rules doesn't need to be changed. If you bought K and V is open, K will also be open and you can SDC.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The exact fare class rule is still a buzz kill for me. As a DM, I would rather pay the $50 and get rid of the fare class rule. Or as one of our members has proposed, free SDC within 24 hours if the fare class is available, and $50 fee if it isn't.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I think what Dl is trying to do with the fare bucket restriction is to differentiate the fare classes a bit. In the old days we had for domestic flights:

YBM: 150% MQM (yes M no more)
HQK: can use SWU/miles to upgrade
LUT: basic travel, no "extras"

With the addition of XVE they become the bottom level so how to convince people to buy up to LUT (or higher)? It wouldn't surprise me if the XVE classes get zeroed out on day of travel so if you think you might want to SDC, buy a higher fare class ticket.
I think that it's worse than this. My (unhappy) opinion is that XVE will become lower mileage earners, probably 50%.

Therefore, this "can't SDC out of fare class" change is not just Revenue Management, but also so that if XVE (and possibly LUTXVE) are not available, you won't be SDC'd into HQKYBM with issues in calculating the earning differences. Not sure how they will deal with IRROPS in this situation, though...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
24 Hour rule

Originally Posted by 18sas
In the time-honored tradition of "You Can't Please Everyone," I will go on record with my concern about the T-24 rule.

As an ATL based flyer, this puts me at a disadvantage because someone flying YYY>ATL>ZZZ can SDC for ATL>ZZZ 24 hours prior to YYY>ATL.

Meanwhile I can only SDC 24 hrs before ATL>ZZZ. This was actually true with the 3 hour rule in old SDC as well.

So the one thing I liked about the new midnight rule is that everyone is on equal footing with regard to changes. But of course I didn't like having to log in or call in a midnight, so the 24 hour rule beats that.

Come to think of it... an unintended consequence of this is that it may be in your best interest to schedule your flights as early in the day as possible because that gives you the earliest shot of SDC.
Unless I'm misinterpreting the new policy, the 24 hrs is before the original, i.e. ATL-ZZZ flight you want to SDC, NOT 24 hrs before your "originating , i.e. YYY-ATL flight:confused . Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Best to reserve judgment until I can try this out, however...and I apologize if this has been asked already....

If I am going from MCO-ATL-LAX let's say...and it is on a K fare with an early AM flight, am I able to SDC to something later in the day as long as K and LOWER (in this case, L,U,T,E, etc) on the entire MCO-ATL-LAX route or is it each segment so MCO-ATL and ATL-LAX?

The way I have been searching on EF has always been with the route itself rather than by each segment, so I just want to make sure I'm not mistaken.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by poppabear
Unless I'm misinterpreting the new policy, the 24 hrs is before the original, i.e. ATL-ZZZ flight you want to SDC, NOT 24 hrs before your "originating , i.e. YYY-ATL flight:confused . Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, I think you are misinterpreting. The old "3 hour rule" which is now a "24 hour rule" always applied to the first flight. Otherwise, are you going to have to call twice?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: Devalued sky-pesos
Now if they would only listen to customers regarding accruing miles on ALL partners, all fare classes for PM and DMs.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Being able to snag the Y1 flight, even if it did cost $50, and do it 24 hours out, would be a nice DM/PM/GM benefit.
But it's too expensive for DL (due to overbooking). I'd be satisfied with being allowed to SDC to a higher class when DL's algorithms tell them it's "safe" to do so (especially nice if they tell me when that will be, assuming no sales, irops, etc. eat the seats).

Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
My wish: instead of requiring the fare class you BOUGHT, how about allowing the change if the two flights (your original and your desired SDC) are CURRENTLY selling the same fare class? That's also a lot easier for the layperson to check via prices...
In a way, that makes sense; if I'm on a full flight, and I SDC to a less full flight, DL gains. So how about, if the flight I'm on is more full than the one I want to switch to, I can, independent of fare class? (E.g. My flight is Y1, 0, I want to switch to Y2, 0. Even if I'm in X, DL doesn't lose; and if the other flight were Y3, 0 then DL would get Y2, Y2, which is better than Y1, Y3.)

Originally Posted by mtkeller
And just over an hour later, it's back to sanity. I suspect there's some temporary, behind-the-scenes reason why those inventory anomalies occur.
Perhaps the seat at the middle level sold, and it took a while for the changes to propagate properly.

Originally Posted by kitkat77
I think that it's worse than this. My (unhappy) opinion is that XVE will become lower mileage earners, probably 50%.

Therefore, this "can't SDC out of fare class" change is not just Revenue Management, but also so that if XVE (and possibly LUTXVE) are not available, you won't be SDC'd into HQKYBM with issues in calculating the earning differences. Not sure how they will deal with IRROPS in this situation, though...
There's no issue: you retain your original "class paid" which is what earnings are based on. DL IT even usually gets that right.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Another Improvement (more revenue for DL): SDS upgrades

I got email today about the change (after it was discussed here). The web page they pointed to includes their statement that when you SDS, you can buy upgrades (space available, it doesn't say where in the priority list you are) for $50 to $350, depending on distance, K or higher (L,U,T also for Hawaii).

I can't tell if those happen before Medallion battlefield upgrades (and, if so, could they be purchased by someone not doing SDS?)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Deleted
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I think the bottom line here is that the old system (Y1) was too generous. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and used it frequently, but I believe they were giving too much away. Of course it stings to lose it, but with these updated changes I think this is a fair compromise between DL revenue and elite perks. 24 hour free changes are a GREAT benefit! This really addresses my only major issue with the old system. The old system was great for taking earlier flights, but sucked for taking later flights (miss your ticketed flight and hope for no IROPS while waiting for the 3 hour window of your later flight). Again, sucks to lose some flexibility, but nice to gain some flexibility of a different kind. Anyone who thought someone on a T fare taking the last Y seat (and then getting a $400 VDB) was going to last forever was dreaming...

BTW, This is coming from someone who just last week got burned by the new policy...
I disagree. The old policy was more in line with what flyers could use. The fare system is way too restrictive.

I think NWA got it right with Flynow. 24 hours, any fare class, so long as seat was there. Non PM/GM paid $50. Lots of people used it, and NWA was able to fill seats that probably went out vacant.

Keep in mind that most folks say that filling seats is a bad thing. When you move from one flight to another you vacate a seat at the same time, so there is really no net loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.