Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Plat AMEX - Take the 5k MQMs now or hold out for a better offer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Hi FT-

I've been thinking of picking up a card for a while now (mostly for the occasional $25 SC visit and Pay With Miles). I'm going to be almost exactly 5k MQMs short of PM at the end of the year, based on current projections, so I was thinking of picking up a Plat AMEX to fill in the gap.

Current offer through DL.dumb is 5k MQMs and 30k RDMs after $500 spend. The problem is, I know that's not the best offer they'll give. I got a mailer earlier in the year for 15k MQMs and 45k RDMS after $3000 spend (which I can make). Unfortunately, in my usual lack of foresight, I shredded it along with all the other offers.

So now my conundrum is: do I take the 5k offer and run with it, or hold out for hopefully a better offer later in the year?

Thanks for the insight!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wait. 15k offers are pretty common. Long as you still have time to make the spend, no reason to jump on a small offer now.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:42 pm

If you don't want to wait, there's a non-targeted offer out there for 35K miles and 10K MQM:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...&openeep=43607
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CEUflyer
If you don't want to wait, there's a non-targeted offer out there for 35K miles and 10K MQM:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...&openeep=43607
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're planning to make one or both of the spend thresholds this year, the longer you wait to open the account, the harder it will be. If you miss, it's a permanently foregone opportunity as the counter starts over on January 1.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm gonna go for the 10k MQM offer - the $2k spend is a little easier for me than the $3k, and I'm not going to make use of the rollover MQMs anyways due to MQD thresholds that I won't reach.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Go here: https://www.deltaamexcard.com/

That will give you your targeted offer (the one you shredded). Probably 15K MQM/40K RDM, but YMMV.

I got 15K MQM, 40K RDM, and $100 statement credit, from that link.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bmcguir2
Hi FT-

I've been thinking of picking up a card for a while now (mostly for the occasional $25 SC visit and Pay With Miles). I'm going to be almost exactly 5k MQMs short of PM at the end of the year, based on current projections, so I was thinking of picking up a Plat AMEX to fill in the gap.

Current offer through DL.dumb is 5k MQMs and 30k RDMs after $500 spend. The problem is, I know that's not the best offer they'll give. I got a mailer earlier in the year for 15k MQMs and 45k RDMS after $3000 spend (which I can make). Unfortunately, in my usual lack of foresight, I shredded it along with all the other offers.

So now my conundrum is: do I take the 5k offer and run with it, or hold out for hopefully a better offer later in the year?

Thanks for the insight!
PWM is nearly always a terrible value, and if you enjoy a good drink, your $25 is better spent at an airport bar.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:05 am

Just get the Reserve Card
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by kitkat77

... but YMMV.

YMMV indeed I got 35k RDM, 0 MQM, no statement credit. I am currently gold and did not have Amex for the last 3 years...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LuvKLM
YMMV indeed I got 35k RDM, 0 MQM, no statement credit. I am currently gold and did not have Amex for the last 3 years...
Sorry.

I had received a targeted offer via email a few weeks before checking that site, but had deleted the email. I found the site through some web searching and it worked like a charm for me.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuvKLM
This was my offer when I went through that link. Nabbed the 35k RDM, 10k MWM, Plat offer and got approved this morning after an unbelievably hellish "address verification" process...

But I'll be PM by year's end for less $$ than a MR. So there's that!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kitkat77

That will give you your targeted offer (the one you shredded). Probably 15K MQM/40K RDM, but YMMV.

I am in the same boat and luckily also received this offer as soon as the year since I had the Gold Delta Amex lapsed a few weeks ago...

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.