Wiki Posts
Search

DL/ST to ORK from Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
DL/ST to ORK from Germany

Looks like I'll need to get from TXL to Cork. I can go through AMS, on KL #ed flights, but between AMS and ORK they're operated by EI (Aer Lingus). DL won't give credit for those legs, though they have KL #s. I'm assuming I'll just have to suck it up and get no miles for half the ticket (which is not cheap)--or does one of you have a better idea?

I also have a Mileage + account, and they will credit EI flights from London to ORK. But I can't get UA or LH to generate an itinerary TXL-LON-ORK-LON-TXL. (And EI will only generate BER-DUB)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
It may not help but AF (as CityJet) flies LCY to DUB (also AMS to LCY). Airport bus to Heuston Station and then two and half hours on the train to Cork.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, MadBrewer. I may end up doing something like this, though that specific routing doesn't seem to work leaving TXL. Flying to DUB is a lot cheaper than ORK, but at least with the routings I'm getting--all KL #s--it still is half on EI. So if I go this route I might do Swiss, which will get me full credit on UA. (Though regardless of how I get to DUB I'd still need to get a shuttle or train to Cork.)

Who knew it would be so complicated getting to Cork?!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried multi city to force as much as possible on AF/KLM? How about booking it on their websites? Or, as an elite, call DL and ask them to book particular flights, for example, something like KLM on TXL-AMS-LHR/MAN/etc. then EI from someplace in England into either DUB or ORK (or a connection through DUB). This will have you flying all day to get those miles. Does either AF or KLM serve DUB at all or just offer the EI codeshares?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried multi city to force as much as possible on AF/KLM? How about booking it on their websites? Or, as an elite, call DL and ask them to book particular flights, for example, something like KLM on TXL-AMS-LHR/MAN/etc. then EI from someplace in England into either DUB or ORK (or a connection through DUB). This will have you flying all day to get those miles. Does either AF or KLM serve DUB at all or just offer the EI codeshares?
AF serves Dublin from LCY and CDG (as CityJet but AF flight numbers). So TXL-CDG-DUB should work.

Of course in the old days you could do TXL-JFK-DUB on Delta -- think of the miles
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. On AF I was able to force TXL-CDG-DUB-CDG-TXL in segments, and for a decent price to boot. If you do it as a TXL-DUB RT it costs more, and has worse times. I still have to see if this will allow enough time to take the train/shuttle to Cork, but so far it looks doable.

Interestingly, DL won't show the flights AF does; even the TXL-CDG segments it forces you to do through AMS, even NTE as well, on KL.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ryanm
Thanks, all. On AF I was able to force TXL-CDG-DUB-CDG-TXL in segments, and for a decent price to boot. If you do it as a TXL-DUB RT it costs more, and has worse times. I still have to see if this will allow enough time to take the train/shuttle to Cork, but so far it looks doable.

Interestingly, DL won't show the flights AF does; even the TXL-CDG segments it forces you to do through AMS, even NTE as well, on KL.
And starting in 2014, these flights won't count for MQDs, unless you call DL and somehow get them to issue these AF flights on their 006 ticket stock. Definitely adding friction to doing business with AF.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And starting in 2014, these flights won't count for MQDs, unless you call DL and somehow get them to issue these AF flights on their 006 ticket stock. Definitely adding friction to doing business with AF.
Something's already screwy with DL and AF for inter-EU flights. I can't get DL to offer *any* itinerary from either TXL or FRA to CDG on AF; it always wants to put me on KL through AMS (and even NTE!). These NSs to CDG on AF very much exist, and as of a month or so ago were available on DL.dumb.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:52 am

I have found that whenever checking on DL.com for an itinerary that could be offered by either KL or AF, for some reason the KL choice seems to come first, and sometimes it's the only connection offered (when as you point out AF options are available). It's been like this for awhile and not sure why. AF and KL are the same company, so I'm not sure why the DL.com booking engine seems to prefer (at least to me) KL connection options.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
I have found that whenever checking on DL.com for an itinerary that could be offered by either KL or AF, for some reason the KL choice seems to come first, and sometimes it's the only connection offered (when as you point out AF options are available). It's been like this for awhile and not sure why. AF and KL are the same company, so I'm not sure why the DL.com booking engine seems to prefer (at least to me) KL connection options.
I've noticed the same thing...except when I actually want a KL nonstop. Then, all the itineraries I'm offered are multi-stop connections on AF. Go figure
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:37 am
Original Poster

There's some speculation on the FB boards that the KL-AF merger is going through a rough spot, so it could be related to that (though how that relates to DL I'm not sure). OTOH, many have reported that AF options are popping up for award searches and not KL ones--which would seem to be the inversion of the issue with EU revenue tickets.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I've noticed the same thing...except when I actually want a KL nonstop. Then, all the itineraries I'm offered are multi-stop connections on AF. Go figure
Pure speculation on my part (and I know nothing about how DL's IT has been "built" post-merger) but could this be some sort of legacy of the NW merger? NW had a fairly good connection to KL...could some of this made it's way into online the booking coding?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ryanm
There's some speculation on the FB boards that the KL-AF merger is going through a rough spot, so it could be related to that (though how that relates to DL I'm not sure). OTOH, many have reported that AF options are popping up for award searches and not KL ones--which would seem to be the inversion of the issue with EU revenue tickets.
I've always had better luck with awards on AF than KL. That said, the past year for both of them have been very poor for me (though I've only been looking for Business options).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.