Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrades to BusinessElite AMS-BOS on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

Since I'll be flying this route 15-20 times per year, I figured I would keep track of the offers for upgrades (to BusinessElite) from Amsterdam.

July 2013 AMS-BOS
fare code/class : Q
offer : €150 + 25,000 SkyMiles (or SWU)
edit to add : seems that in all cases you can use 25,000 miles or a Delta SWU

If other's could add their experiences, it would be interesting to see how much variation there is vis-a-vis fare class and specific days.

As an aside, got the OP-UP, on boarding, for the flight over DTW-AMS, boarding at final call (coming from a delayed inbound SFO-DTW).

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I think this is largely due to KL handling the flights??

Existing data points:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...-ups-olci.html
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by rwoman
I think this is largely due to KL handling the flights??
This is also my guess. Though this was very much a Delta operated (DL metal) flight. But, yes, all of the handling is by KL.

What I found interesting was the € + SkyMiles offer. I was expecting just a Euro buy-up.

If you consider that most Y and B fares require 25,000 SkyMiles to upgrade, a co-pay of €150 isn't really that bad for lower fare classes.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
What I found interesting was the € + SkyMiles offer. I was expecting just a Euro buy-up.
Agreed--in my experience the KL buy-ups are just Euros, and I think that's what's reflected in the thread in the FB section of FT. I've also never seen a buy-up offer at OLCI of any sort on a DL flight, even those handled on the ground by KL.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
[QUOTE=ryanm:21053827]
Only time I did a KL airport buy-up (BOM-AMS), it involved both cash and miles. It's been several years but I seem to recall the figures being similar to the OP.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
KL allows you to buy up to Y/B/M class for a fixed amount of EUR and then you can use miles or SWU to upgrade. Sounds like this model has made it to OLCI.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Very odd, KL should not be doing that...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Very odd, KL should not be doing that...
Now that DL reps have, perhaps, seen this thread, I'm sure they'll let KL know to stop giving an upgrade benefit to DL FFers...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Now that DL reps have, perhaps, seen this thread, I'm sure they'll let KL know to stop giving an upgrade benefit to DL FFers...
This has been happening for years, since the NW days. I can recall one time specifically I upgraded AMS-BOS (NW metal) 6+ years ago (also at the transfer desk and for Euros).

Keep in mind, I was on a very pricey Q fare. (SFO-DTW-AMS-BOS)

Agent (and this in anecdotal) said if I had been on a low price T fare (or such), it would have been closer to €500 + miles; not sure there is a huge market for that. But, I guess, that is still a LOT cheaper than a Y/B upgrade lottery (and no co-pay) or buying into BusinessElite with a regular revenue fare.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1.4MM, Marriott Titanium Elite, TSA Pre✓, Global Entry
Since I'll be flying this route 15-20 times per year, I figured I would keep track of the offers for upgrades (to BusinessElite) from Amsterdam.

July 2013 AMS-BOS
fare code/class : Q
offer : €150 + 25,000 SkyMiles

If other's could add their experiences, it would be interesting to see how much variation there is vis-a-vis fare class and specific days.

As an aside, got the OP-UP, on boarding, for the flight over DTW-AMS, boarding at final call (coming from a delayed inbound SFO-DTW).
Was it DL or KL coded flight? I have reiceved a few op-ups AMS-BOS but have never got the offer to buy up. I like it :-)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kerrymac747
Was it DL or KL coded flight? I have reiceved a few op-ups AMS-BOS but have never got the offer to buy up. I like it :-)
doesn't matter in AMS. You can always ask to buy up + SWU for AMS departures.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I was once offered an upgrade on LAX-AMS on a cheap ticket for €400. I had already paid €80 for an upgrade to EC (which as a newly minted Diamond I should not have had to) so I wasn't inclined to spend any more.

This was at the KLM desk at T2 but the agent was a Delta person.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerrymac747
DL231 (coded and operated by Delta), Q fare, booked on delta.com

Originally Posted by cfischer
doesn't matter in AMS. You can always ask to buy up + SWU for AMS departures.
I believe this is true.

I'll be back and forth AMS-BOS-AMS every few weeks; and for "fun," will ask every time at the transfer desk (I happen to be booked on all types of fares, ranging from €740.42 roundtrip all-in T fares, to full Y fares).

Though, my personal opinion, is that once I hit Platinum (and especially in the summer), OP-UPs are quite frequent (especially from/to BOS) so you should balance that situation. I was surprised at the (Gold Medallion) OP-UP last week from DTW-AMS.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
As long there is space everyone can ask for it at AMS. When you OLCI through KLM you sometimes get offers, the higher the discount, the more overbooked they are.

Secondly sometimes as soon as you check-in your luggage the lady there already will mention that you can buy up, also a sign that they are really overbooked for that flight.

First come first served. If you are too late to the party and waitlisted with a SWU at AMS..though luck. Talked with the KLM lounge dragon about the buy ups. KLM will happily sell any available DL BE space for miles and/or Euro's to any random pax. I quote: "We know Delta does it differently in the USA but Delta management in AMS knows about it and is fine with it"

So am pretty sure if KLM handles a DL flight at AMS: KLM rules > DL rules

Last edited by Grouchy; Jul 9, 2013 at 6:08 am
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The major problem, as referred above, is if you actually paid for a YBM ticket and are waitlisted for SWU upgrade, KLM will sell the BE inventory out to pax who are willing to pay the nominal fee plus miles instead of processing the SWUs first.

So if you are using an SWU you better get to the airport early so it can be processed, and even then you might get hosed if they are selling these at OLCI now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.