Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Intl-Dom & TSA pre-check

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA WP gold
DTW Intl-Dom & TSA pre-check

I've done a search, but can't find a good answer. In a couple weeks, I'm flying NRT-DTW-BOS, with a 1:30 connection time. I'll be using global entry(first time user, hope it goes well), and have a carry on, so I think I'll be ok with the short connection, but connecting from INTL-DOM, will I be able to use the TSA pre-check line at DTW? Is there a pre-check line in the INTL connection area? And is there a Sky Priority line in the INTL connection area? This is my first time doing a INTL connection in DTW, so thanks in advance for your answers.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I came thru DTW (from AMS) a few weeks ago and there was no PreCheck that I could see. Also don't remember a SkyPriority lane but there wasn't much of a line so I wasn't really looking for it.

Global Entry is the big time saver. I've never had much a line at the INTL-DOM security in DTW or MSP. ATL is another story.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The PreCheck lane is up 2 levels at the check-in level. So you'd need to exit the INTL area, go up 2 sets of escalators to get there, and then back down an escalator to get back to the departures level. Not really worth it unless security is really backed up at the INTL TSA checkpoint. Can recall if there is a Sky Priority lane at the INTL checkpoint as I usually exit at DTW. It's possible you won't even have PreCheck access anyway (not sure if they now allow it when arriving off an International flight to a domestic).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 22, 2013 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
The PreCheck lane is up 2 levels at the check-in level. So you'd need to exit the INTL area, go up 2 sets of escalators to get there, and then back down an escalator to get back to the departures level. Not really worth it unless security is really backed up at the INTL TSA checkpoint. Can recall if there is a Sky Priority lane at the INTL checkpoint as I usually exit at DTW. It's possible you won't even have PreCheck access anyway (not sure if they now allow it when arriving off an International flight to a domestic).
Security is often backed up, and I've gone up stairs more than a few times. However, will PreCheck work in such a case? I figured it was just for like when you first start on an outbound (from the US) itinerary.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bwallet
Security is often backed up, and I've gone up stairs more than a few times. However, will PreCheck work in such a case? I figured it was just for like when you first start on an outbound (from the US) itinerary.
Agree on security bring often backed up and sometimes going upstairs. I also agree it is questionable whether pre-check will work when coming in from overseas.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DL
Smile

it all depends on the time of day. but you should have plenty of time, especially with just carry on. global entry takes at least 1 to 2 minutes.
sky priority is everywhere. pre-check is just on the upper level.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I connected at DTW about two weeks ago, coming in on DL 235 arriving about 330 pm on a Tuesday. Absolutely no lines at the Customs TSA point. Of course I have GE and my bag was yellow tagged to I was one of the first through, except for the folks who didn't check. I was asked by a DL agent to turn in the checked bag tag to the recheck counter since I was carrying it on the DTW-DCA flight.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
There is no Sky Priority security after clearing customs in DTW. And, GE usually means I hurry up and wait---priority bags never seem to come off with any priority when arriving in the US on an international flight. Not for me, anyhow.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:30 am

There is no PreCheck in the FIS TSA area at DTW. However, PreCheck only recently became applicable for international itineraries... so in time I think we'll likely see PreCheck expand to the international reconnect security.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There wasn't any TSA precheck nor TSA Sky Priority line post CBP to the domestic terminal at DL's DTW intl arrival.

My priority bags are offloaded first at DTW, perhaps all my intl arrival to DTW is from NRT and HKG(2X). However the fun is guessing which carousel your bags come out on.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
6/15/16: Update
Still no TSA PreCheck line or Delta SkyPriority line after clearing customs. I flew in yesterday on VS 107 (Virgin's LHR to DTW flight) arriving at 1:50 pm. While on the plane, an announcement did mention not to dawdle as two additional international flights from the Far East were landing just behind us.

With Global Entry, I made it through fast, but waited for my bags. I then waited again in the security line as there was no PreCheck or SkyPriority line. I do have global entry, but the boarding pass Virgin issued me in London (I was flying on Delta tickets) did not have PreCheck listed on my DTW onward boarding pass. Can you get PreCheck transferring from int to dom?

Also, in the past in other airports (MIA, JFK, LAX), I've been stuck in lines to leave the baggage area through customs while they check your papers again. DTW seems to have moved the customs check to immediately before the baggage area. I had checked that I had brought food back (chocolate/jam), which they asked about, but how would they have sent me through to customs if I hadn't gotten my bags?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
If the line is long enough to warrant it, you can walk out of the baggage area and then go through PreChek to re-enter. I've done that when the line was really long and thought it was worthwhile.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or go through the Westin security checkpoint which almost never has anyone in line.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
On the PreCheck since VS doesn't participate in it their BPS will never have it. You need a DL issued BP and be selected to get it in order for it to show. Works even for DL BPS outside US. However it has to be a DL BP and not a partner.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
So you'd recommend stopping in DTW to get a DL boarding pass from a kiosk before getting in the security line? Or maybe I could get one my iPhone.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
On the PreCheck since VS doesn't participate in it their BPS will never have it. You need a DL issued BP and be selected to get it in order for it to show. Works even for DL BPS outside US. However it has to be a DL BP and not a partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.