Search

AVOD "pounder" etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Thumbs down AVOD "pounder" etiquette.

Flying transcon with my kids, sitting in steerage

Woman in back must be playing trivia game, and is playing with gusto -- pounding on the back of my seat like a gorilla.

I tried the "casually move over" so maybe she'll realize that I feel her banging on my seat..

Then I tried the "look around" to let her know that I've figured out that the reason I'm getting whiplash is because of her bashing the seat.

What's the appropriate next step?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Ask her to stop in a nice manner
T
Suggest she use her fingernail instead
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
change seats

Originally Posted by stevekstevek

Woman in back must be playing trivia game, and is playing with gusto -- pounding on the back of my seat like a gorilla.

I tried the "casually move over" so maybe she'll realize that I feel her banging on my seat..

Then I tried the "look around" to let her know that I've figured out that the reason I'm getting whiplash is because of her bashing the seat.

Plan "B": Change seats with the person behind her.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:52 pm

I usually just ask the person to be more gentle with the unit, i.e. using fingernails as mentioned above; I have no right to tell them that they can't use the system, but there's no need for them to be obnoxious with it.

Also, the trivia game is nuthin'; just wait until the person behind you starts playing Bejeweled (if they still offer it).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Whoever decided to put the combo of touch screens and games that require muti touch on in a headrest....needs to be shot.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, DL Silver, EK Silver

Make a loud comment about it to your kids. "Ouch, son, why is my seat magically pushing me?!". It's what my father does when people do things like that. Last year on a BA steerage flight the guy next to my mom - who was sitting in the row behind us - took his socks off. My dad, sitting next to me, loudly exclaimed "it smells like stinky feet! What is that smell!?!". Alas, the guy put his socks back on.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by ATLSam

Make a loud comment about it to your kids. "Ouch, son, why is my seat magically pushing me?!". It's what my father does when people do things like that. Last year on a BA steerage flight the guy next to my mom - who was sitting in the row behind us - took his socks off. My dad, sitting next to me, loudly exclaimed "it smells like stinky feet! What is that smell!?!". Alas, the guy put his socks back on.
Polite and direct >> passive-aggressive
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
Thankfully I don't encounter it very often, but turning around and saying "Pardon me, but could you be a bit gentler with the touchscreen, you're tapping is quite noticeable to me" has always done the trick. (If it's a kid, try to make eye-contact with the parent/guardian as well).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Say beep every time she hits it?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Step 1: In a humorous way tell them "Just a heads up, you can use your fingernail to tap the screen."

if that fails.

Step 2: Take a ball point pen and visualize where the screen is behind your seat, then readjust your aim for the lower center and give your seat back one swift, forceful jab. If that doesn't disable the unit is should at least knock it off it's mount so they'll need to hold it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
(There will be several people who don't realize that was a joke, and I pity them.)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM

Constantly reclining/inclining the seat could help.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Recline your seat then move it forward. Repeat.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:42 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
On more than 1 occasion, I've turned around and let them know that a softer touch works better on the system and when they punches the screen, it just pushes my seat. On two occasions, it was an older couple who didn't get the concept, I went back and gave them lesson and had no more problems.
A lot of people are like that, it just takes a nice approach.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Say beep every time she hits it?
Post of the day! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.