Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Okay, I get gate lice. But who are these people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Who are these people who at the VERY instant the aircraft comes to a stop are pushing their way forward to the door, only to stand for three minutes (blocking others from standing and getting their carry-ons.

If "gate lice" describes people crowding gates, there has to be something worse for these folks...

(And it's not like they were rushing to a connection. DCA has very few of those.)
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I'm also amazed by this. I'm never in a hurry to get off the plane unless I have a tight connection, someone is waiting for me at baggage claim, or if it's a large plane. That's one reason I get window seats when possible, so I can wait until all of those aforementioned people have deplaned. Then I can get my things without blocking the aisle, and exit the plane without being forced along like a twig in a strong current.

On a side note, it makes me wonder what would happen in a fire or other emergency. They might end up with more casualties from hysteric trampling than anything else.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
These passengers are the soon to be baggage claim lice. The ones who rush to baggage claim and themselves at the beginning of the carousel and stare at it until their bag arrives while blocking others from retrieving their bag.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Maybe they don't like using the lavs and have been holding it too long waiting to be able to get to the airport restrooms.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Like moths to the flame... It's so tantalizing.

Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: DM MM
worse than that are the people that have their luggage 6 rows back and stand there and block the aisle until someone passes it up.

they also board the plane the same way, can count the times I've seen people trip over each other trying to get to their seats.

so I would call these people moths, they don't know why but they just have to go to the light.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Funny on a recent flight after the bell I got up and was in the process of retrieving my stuff and my spouses when a woman from several rows back ask to get by us. I politely said I was waiting for my wife to step out. The PAX's remark was "but I do not have any carry on baggage." Needless to say my remark was "so what".

I thought it all funny as 1) the doors had not opened so no one was moving 2) it was an international flight so the the next stop was immigration 3) the flight was on time.

Kinds of reminds me of rats/cockroaches leaving a sinking ship. May be we should call them cabin cockroaches.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO what is much worse is the people who wait in their seat, don't get their baggage out of the bins ahead of time, but immediately step into the aisle at the last moment after the row in front of them has cleared and then leisurely remove their bags while holding up everyone else seated in the rows behind them.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
What annoys me much more are those who slow down deplaning by not getting their bags in advance when possible,

It takes absurdly long to load/unload planes because people will stand around like toads and not realize that the 10 seconds they are wasting is why every is slowed down by several minutes.

And yes, I am the type person who thinks 3:30 for 18 holes of golf is slow..

I might be a louse, but I am a fast louse :-)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by k5xs
Who are these people who at the VERY instant the aircraft comes to a stop are pushing their way forward to the door, only to stand for three minutes (blocking others from standing and getting their carry-ons.

If "gate lice" describes people crowding gates, there has to be something worse for these folks...

(And it's not like they were rushing to a connection. DCA has very few of those.)
As I wrote last fall, I was traveling with somebody's who handicap & requires additional time/assistance to board the aircraft, and was pushed out of the way by an angry person with FT tags upset FC wasn't invited to board first. So I'd put my $$$ on some of them being FTers....
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I once was sat in EC next to a woman who berated the FAs for making her wait until the pax in BusinessElite had exited the plane. She muttered about having an important meeting (if you have an important meeting in London, maybe you should book an earlier flight).

This was the same passenger who was very upset about not being able to place her carryon in the bin above our row. She said that "that's my bin, since I'm sitting here".
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Rudeness is one thing (and inexcusable), but I can understand wanting to get out of the seat asap, even if it just means waiting somewhere else a few feet away. Some of us do get pretty serious claustrophobia, and it can be a relief to move a bit and to stand up. And although I myself am pretty small, I can imagine that taller and, um, bigger pax might especially want to get out of their seats as soon as it's allowed.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
On a recent flight I rationalized the person pushing past me and splitting up our group had a tight connection to try to preserve my inner sense of calm. She ruined it by showing up at baggage claim. We both beat the bags to the carrousel.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Same people who MUST unbuckle their seatbelt as soon as the plane's wheels hit the pavement. It's not like it's going to get them out of the plane any faster. Is waiting for the "ding" so bad?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
These people annoy me more than the gate lice. Everybody is in a hurry to get off a plane. Whether you are claustrophobic, have to go to the restroom, have a plane to catch, or have a meeting to get to, nobody's schedule is more important than any other's.

It's like a passive agressive DYKWIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.