Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone think Delta EC is better than AF Premium Econ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:13 am
Original Poster

I find the seats smaller and it generally not as nice. I do not get the excitement...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Who is "everyone"?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
One would have to be out of their mind to think this-yes who is "everyone" I have not met one single person who would would think this way.

AF Premium Econ is NOT IN ANYWAY the same as Delta EC. PE on AF is a completely separate class of service with different seats, service, etc. Delta is 3 inches extra legroom...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
And, here is the Air France premium economy seat size chart:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air.../fleetinfo.php

Basically, they are removing seats in order to increase the seat width. Delta is only increasing pitch, and not nearly as much as AF.

38" pitch, and 19" width is not too bad for the TATL flights. That actually is better than the domestic Delta First 763 product, which is often used on 4-5 hour flights in the US.

In summary, I don't think there is any argument, and that the AF premium economy seat offers more pitch and more width, compared with Delta EC.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
DL EC does resemble KL EC, AF PV is its own class of service. I do not recall any comments praising DL EC over the AF product.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by knoa_knows
I find the seats smaller and it generally not as nice. I do not get the excitement...
what are you talking about? AF PV is >> DL EC and it costs you a lot more. Now if you are asking is it worth paying for AF PV or rather fly in DL EC for free I'd say DL EC wins.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Carbon
"Everyone"? Don't know "anyone." Name one person who has actually flown BOTH and believes that DL EC provides a better flying experience that AF PE. Not happenin'. DL EC is less expensive than AF PE, but that's a whole other discussion.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Agreed, I have not come across anyone who prefers DL EC over AF PV.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:49 am

Agreed too. I'm with the other 'everyone'.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by SeaBridge
"Everyone"? Don't know "anyone." Name one person who has actually flown BOTH and believes that DL EC provides a better flying experience that AF PE. Not happenin'. DL EC is less expensive than AF PE, but that's a whole other discussion.
1 here: Have flown both several times, JFK-CDG (AF, DL), SFO-CDG (AF), JFK-NRT(DL) I prefer DL.

In theory I really want to like AF PV, but I can never (0/4) get comfortable in those seats. Both bulkheads and non-bulkheads. Yes you have way more room, it's a wider seat, but I just can't sleep in it, whereas I have no trouble sleeping in DLs EC. Go figure..
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:29 pm

I agree with the above posters.

Now one could certainly make the case that they prefer the DL model of an enhanced-economy product, but I suspect very few (if any) people would prefer DL over AF for the same price.

There are lots of different enhanced-economy products out there. Each have their own merits and drawbacks. The AF model of improved seat/service/catering is the 'best', except on price. The UA model of only increased legroom offers the least to the customer, but can be offered for less money. There are various models in between. I suspect people's preference generally comes down to their willingness/ability to pay.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:24 pm

Flew AF Prem Econ today

I flew from CDG to JFK on AF012 (777) in Prem Econ today and it was far superior to DL Econ Plus. AF has 8 seats per row, instead of 10, which is what the Econ section has. There are only 3.5 rows and they are in a separate section of the cabin, separated from both business and economy by partitions, not curtains, so it is calmer, although a crying baby would not be fun. Food is the same as economy, which on AF international is okay, not great. AF wines are excellent in any class and service is attentive. I flew over to Europe last week in business on KLM and back in Prem Econ. For the daytime return, Prem Econ is fine, IMHO, and saves quite a bit. For the eastbound overnight, it would be much less comfortable than business and not that much better than economy. The seats recline a bit more but you still have to sleep upright.

It's interesting how many details have been planned to place this service ahead of economy and behind business. The menu is much more plain than in business but a bit fancier than in economy, although the food is the same. You get an amenity kit, which some say is the same as business. It's pretty minimal and not very useful but I don't think economy gets one. You get nicer headphones. I think the screen is larger but I"m not certain about this.

One important factor--if you decide to go business one way and return in Prem Econ, the lowest prem economy fare won't combine with a business class one way so you end up paying several hundred more for Prem Econ than you would if you did a RT in that cabin, but it's still $1500 less than in business.

I will definitely plan future international travel with the AF Prem Econ in mind whereas DL's (and KLM's) econ plus are not worth trying to get. However, if you fly AF , then you have to deal with CDG, which is a horrible airport for transfers and even worse if you have to overnight in the CDG area.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald
I wish the AF prem econ model would rollout to more carriers. For wider guys, that extra shoulder/arm room on a long flight is nice!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Amenity kits are scaled back versions of business ones. Eye mask, ear plugs, toothbrush and socks. At least last fall it was the same "pouch" as business, just less contents.

AVOD is larger than in coach (significantly).

Foot rest is useless however if you are 6 feet.

I find the padding to be minimal in PV however, and the recline is about the same as delta EC (at least from perspective).

Same blankets as business IIRC.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dchen2
I wish the AF prem econ model would rollout to more carriers. For wider guys, that extra shoulder/arm room on a long flight is nice!
Agreed... for me, being an average height, broad shouldered guy, I'll take an extra inch of width over two extra inches of pitch.

Last edited by javabytes; Jun 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.