Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Systemwide SkyClub Alternatives (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mre5765
The wiki is now open.

USA

LAX:
T6: AS Boardroom (SC membership accepted).

JFK:
Oasis Lounge (SC membership accepted only on int'l itineraries or via other club memberships). Now airside with all DL T4 flights.

LGA:
Amex Centurion Lounge, Terminal B, pre-security, third level.

Hours: 5:30 am – 8 pm (Sunday – Friday), 5:30 am – 6:30 pm (Saturday)

BWI:
Airspace Lounge in Pier D, near the United gates, a couple hundred yards from DL's gates.

CLE:
Airspace Lounge, post-security at the A and B gates

COS:
"The Premier Lounge", airside after the DL gate. Free access to Delta SkyMiles Medallion® Platinum and Diamond Medallion members. Daily 4:30 AM until last flight departs.

LAS:
Amex Centurion Lounge, near Gate D4
"The Club" lounge, near Gate D16

SJC:
"The Club" lounge, terminal A near Gate 15 (DL's gates are now in terminal A at the north end).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:15 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL

[reserved for future use]
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:16 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[reserved for future use]
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that Priority Pass allows you to enter their lounges regardless of what airline you're flying that day.

Are there still any Diners Club lounges around? I haven't seen them advertised for a while.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 4, 2013 at 2:31 am
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:23 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Following up on my own suggestion on another thread, this is an attempt to compile a systemwide listing of the alternatives available at the various hubs and outstations to the SkyClubs.

I will take on the responsibility for updating this, but what I need is input from the board on the places to put on the list. What I'm looking for is information on the establishment, its location in the terminal, whether Wi-Fi is available, rough estimate of the cost of drinks and any other pertinent information, such as whether food is served and the type thereof.

I will organize the list with hubs first, then outstations. I expect this to be a continuous work in progress, but hope to turn this into a useful resource.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:26 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
add content
Done. It took some time to reserve a couple of posts at the top for future use, as you can only post every 30 seconds.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Start with these:

BWI--Airspace Lounge in Pier D, near the United gates, a couple hundred yards from DL's gates.

CLE--Airspace Lounge, post-security at the A and B gates

JFK--Airspace Lounge, near gate 24 in Terminal 5 (jetBlue), probably not an alternative to the SC for Delta pax.

LAS--Amex Centurion Lounge, near Gate D4

LAS--"The Club" lounge, near Gate D16

SJC--"The Club" lounge, terminal A near Gate 15 (DL's gates are now in terminal A at the north end).

"The Club" operates lounges at DFW Terminal D and RDU Terminal A, but both of these are in different buildings not accessible from DL's airside areas.

At DCA, there is a United Club (formerly the CO President's Club) that is accessible for DL pax once inside security (you would turn to the right and walk down to UA's gates and go up an elevator down there). I've been in there when CO was still around and it is a nice club with distinctive interior design.

At IAD, DL is the only major airline without consistent lounge access for club members and elites; its gates are at the opposite end of a long midfield building from AF/KL, which operate a lounge open in the mornings for the KE flight to ICN and in the afternoon/evenings for KL and AF's flights. Reports are mixed as to DL domestic pax being granted access to the AF Salon.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
ATL E
One Flew South

Entry-free

Drinks- priced comparably to the Delta Luxury Bar, but made by real bartenders at a real bar and no entry fee. Also use premium mixers. Bartenders have all been there for years and did not respond to a $10hr Craigslist add whilst on break from their bus driving duties.

Wine- nice wine by the glass selections. Have a rather extensive list.

Food- solid and consistent. Asian based dishes for the most part with some basic sushi options including some nice rolls.

Service- almost always good. They usually try to ask, but if you are on a short turn around, let them know at the start. You can easily get a drink and a meal in 30 minutes out the door.

Price- nice meal and a drink or 2 out the door for $50
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
ATL E
One Flew South

Entry-free

Drinks- priced comparably to the Delta Luxury Bar, but made by real bartenders at a real bar and no entry fee. Also use premium mixers. Bartenders have all been there for years and did not respond to a $10hr Craigslist add whilst on break from their bus driving duties.

Wine- nice wine by the glass selections. Have a rather extensive list.

Food- solid and consistent. Asian based dishes for the most part with some basic sushi options including some nice rolls.

Service- almost always good. They usually try to ask, but if you are on a short turn around, let them know at the start. You can easily get a drink and a meal in 30 minutes out the door.

Price- nice meal and a drink or 2 out the door for $50
Plus there is the Dirty South, which thanks to some FTers' suggestions I tried on a layover. It was... awesome.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:31 am
Suspended

At HKG there is no SkyClub, only partner lounges. The partner lounge is KE which is a nice standard KE lounge.

There's another lounge run by China Airlines that also seems to serve a lot of other airlines like MU but I forget who actually runs it, it may be outsourced. They have decent hot food and alcohol and it's all free. You can enter this club if you are a SC member or STE+.

Best option is the QF J lounge (or sometimes the QF F lounge if the QF J lounge is closed for cleaning). I'm not sure if SC members and STE+ can go in or not, I think you may have to be flying in J. Both are NICE with good hot food and good alcohol, all free. Both have muesli, bread with a toaster, pancakes and assorted hot breakfast food and breakfast time. The J lounge has good coffee drinks served by a bartender who also oversees the alcohol bar. The J lounge has very nice shower facilities, but no windows. The F lounge has an open railing overlooking a couple of gates where I've seen SQ A380s parked. Apart from the view I prefer the J lounge over the F lounge.

You can also use the AF lounge but I've never used it. Those who have been to AF lounges will know what to expect.

HKG also has two pay-in lounges known as the "Traveler's Lounge" or the "Plaza Lounge" that you can enter with Priority Pass. I believe you can also get in with most higher-level credit cards. I haven't been in one for a while so I forget some of the details. However there is hot food (usually dim sum and congee and maybe a Western option) that is free but not as good as the QF lounges. There are free ice cream sandwiches and room temperature foods like finger sandwiches. I think at breakfast time there is cereal or oatmeal. There's self-serve coffee. There's beer and wine and liquor but I don't remember the quality. Everything is free except alcohol. As I recall they are a bit cramped. But better than no lounge, particularly because the F&B options elsewhere in the airport, especially nearer the gate areas, aren't that good.

Last edited by HongKonger; Jun 4, 2013 at 9:25 am Reason: add detail; entry qualifications, Traveler's lounge info
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
How about adding the entry requirements (price, Sky Team E+, Priority Pass, etc.) if available?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are there still any Diners Club lounges around? I haven't seen them advertised for a while.
Saw one at SDU last month.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by ND76
<snip>
At IAD, DL is the only major airline without consistent lounge access for club members and elites; its gates are at the opposite end of a long midfield building from AF/KL, which operate a lounge open in the mornings for the KE flight to ICN and in the afternoon/evenings for KL and AF's flights. Reports are mixed as to DL domestic pax being granted access to the AF Salon.
The AF lounge at IAD has always granted me access, as a Sky-Club member. They always need to see a BP, but accept UA ones, without question.
The lounge is convenient to the UA "A" gates, but hours are shorter and the lounge will, not surprisingly, close if the CDG AF flight is cancelled. They have a nice selection of small sandwiches, and decent and free wine and beer. Never checked the hard liquor, though, not my thing in airport lounges.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This might be a good topic for a wiki. If the OP wants to create one at the top of this thread, which we would also be able to edit, click on thread tools at the top of the thread, just above the OP. I think the wiki function is the last one of about five. Click and a wiki box will appear at the top of the thread. Then enter and edit away, although you might want to standardize the format from the beginning.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Alaska Board Rooms are good for the West Coast if you have a SC membership or are diamond. I was disappointed a few days ago to discover that ST elite plus benefits do not work in Alaska lounges (I should have figured since they are not sky team). I was at SEA and tried to enter during my layover there from AMS before boarding a AS flight to LAX, but they sent me to the SC (which is on the other side of the airport from the AS flights).

SO.. AS Board Room: Need SC membership OR to be diamond.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Alaska Board Rooms are good for the West Coast if you have a SC membership or are diamond. I was disappointed a few days ago to discover that ST elite plus benefits do not work in Alaska lounges (I should have figured since they are not sky team). I was at SEA and tried to enter during my layover there from AMS before boarding a AS flight to LAX, but they sent me to the SC (which is on the other side of the airport from the AS flights).

SO.. AS Board Room: Need SC membership OR to be diamond.
They also let you into the board room if you are flying F on their metal (paid or award, but not complimentary UG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.