Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and rental car dilemma

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
Delta and rental car dilemma

Who do most of you use for Rental cars? I want to use a partner with Delta for the miles and I would like to use the same company for the benefits of their loyalty program. But when I look at Hertz, for example. Their cars are SOOOO expensive. And even when I look at Alamo, they are cheaper than others but.... last weekend in MEM, I looked at Alamo's price for a car online, then Hotwire's price was $30 cheaper!!!

With Delta, it's worth paying more for the upgrades, the free checked bags, etc. But with a car, a $30 difference is pretty steep. The problem is, with Hotwire, there is no collection of points (airline or car company) due to the low price.

As I said, I want to use a Delta partner, but wondering who the masses on here use?

Thx in advance.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Hillhouse
Who do most of you use for Rental cars?

As I said, I want to use a Delta partner, but wondering who the masses on here use?

Thx in advance.
Not related to Delta, but I use National just to get my choice of cars .... (I could care about Delta points from renting cars).

Bob H
Old May 17, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Yeah - I use Avis just because of the little perks that come with my platinum card and the discount through my insurance company. I think the paltry mileage accumulation from rental car companies is easily negated by any discounts or perks from booking through alternative methods.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I rarely rent cars in the USA, and when I do I pay more attention to the price than to the relatively few miles involved. I am, however, getting a good price and 1125 miles on Avis/United in Burlington VT later this month.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Another vote for National. Their Emerald Aisle service is great.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't pay more to get miles for rental cars but I do like being in the "clubs" that allow you to skip lines at the airport and go right to your car. Check which ones you get from credit cards, AAA, etc. Also look for AAA discounts if you're eligible.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Only OP can decide what's important to OP. There are many factors, but some include:
1) price, 2) location, 3) car selection, 4) perks (points/miles) and so on.

It's never made any sense to me to pay twice as much for a car in order to get a few miles. Save the $ and spend it doing what you want. If you save $100 per rental on even 10 rentals, you've got $1000 in your pocket. You can then do what you want with the $1,000.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I also use National because of Emerald Aisle and Executive Selection. For me personally, this is better than a small amount of miles. Also, it always seemed that the Delta codes for Hertz were more expensive than none at all... not to mention Hertz charges an additional small fee per day (75 cents I think) if you want to earn airline miles.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm another National Executive Aisle devotee.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Hertz tends to be cheaper where I fly - plus I am a President's Circle. Even with the extra miles possible, I always just take the car points with Hertz. The miles are not as valuable as being able to rent a car for free. I actually earn more points than I can use with Hertz....a nice problem to have!
Old May 17, 2013, 8:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by timmy83
Yeah - I use Avis just because of the little perks that come with my platinum card and the discount through my insurance company. I think the paltry mileage accumulation from rental car companies is easily negated by any discounts or perks from booking through alternative methods.
My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't pay more to get miles for rental cars but I do like being in the "clubs" that allow you to skip lines at the airport and go right to your car. Check which ones you get from credit cards, AAA, etc. Also look for AAA discounts if you're eligible.
I generally go with the cheapest option. Points or miles are secondary. I am also in most the "clubs" that expedite the rental at the airport.

There are tons of discounts. AAA is just one of many. Often browsing various travel, trade or professional publications gives some good discount codes. Just be sure you are eligible for the discount. Agencies do sometimes check for verification.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I've had several bad experiences with Hertz in Europe, and have now moved my business to Avis. As a member of Avis Preferred, I've gotten vouchers for free/reduced rentals and upgrades, and also get to skip the line at the airport. They're more expensive than, say Dollar, but I like that they often have on-airport lots.

I do try to collect miles if possible, but only if there's not much of a price difference between the next-closest competitor.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Hillhouse
Who do most of you use for Rental cars? I want to use a partner with Delta for the miles and I would like to use the same company for the benefits of their loyalty program. But when I look at Hertz, for example. Their cars are SOOOO expensive. And even when I look at Alamo, they are cheaper than others but.... last weekend in MEM, I looked at Alamo's price for a car online, then Hotwire's price was $30 cheaper!!!.
I think others have mentioned that the miles are not that significant, and I would agree. I just take the rental points. I have more than I'll probably ever use.

I use Hertz, and my company has a discount that is pretty significant in some cases (only 5% in others). You might want to check to see if your company has something similar. I had a Hertz agent look up our rate codes (after I showed a business card).
Old May 17, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Used to use Hertz, now forced to use National.

With National, you get your choice of any car in the aisle, but... late at night there often is no car available, and all you get is an apology. When there are vehicles, sometimes it's a choice between a Crown Vic or a minivan. Once, I was told the only thing left was a 17 seat van. I need to have stuff in the trunk, but often National only has SUVs. This would be okay if National didn't take away the screen that covers the back space. Instead, your stuff if open and visible to anyone who might want to bust the window. Even when there are cars, it's often a choice between a Malibu, an Impala or some other car nobody wants to drive. There are a few National outposts that really do have perks for Executive Elites (ATL, LAS, PIT) but, for the most part, National doesn't do anything special for its best customers, other than give them free days' credits faster.

Hertz always had the cars I like waiting in marked spots. Often, I would get a Corvette, Volvo, Infiniti or loaded Buick. Why not call and see if you can arrange a corporate rate with Hertz? The worst they can say is no.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Hertz is competitive with the legit companies provided you have a CDP code and coupons. Take a look at the HERTZ board (which is where this thread belongs anyway) and look through the thread with the discounts.

Also, note that HERTZ charges you to get miles - not really worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.