Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay Package for Richard Anderson Boosted by 42 Percent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you believe that Richard Anderson deserves and has earned increased compensation?
Yes.
33.61%
Conditionally yes — and I will explain why in this discussion.
8.20%
No.
54.10%
I am not sure and undecided about this question.
4.10%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Pay Package for Richard Anderson Boosted by 42 Percent

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
^^ Share the wealth Richard, you think you have great employees now, see them really produce results and greater service when they have a greater stake in the success.

How many millions do you need anyway?
he does share the wealth. Don't employees get a check every quarter or every year based on how much profit DL made?? Plus, with over 75,000 employees world wide, lets say he divided up $10,000,000 between all 75,000 employees, that would leave each employee with $133.33.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Sure he deserves a raise, but at the same time, shouldn't that wealth be shared with fellow employees?
That's not the way it works anymore in the US.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:24 pm

1. I haven't exactly seen a bunch of Delta employees around here clamoring for more pay. It isn't like American or anyone else would pay them more. If you want to make an argument that he should do it out of the goodness of his heart, please see # 2....

2. The "wealth" doesn't belong to him anyway. It belongs to the shareholders, the people who actually invested their money.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
his job entails making the company, its shareholders, and its tens of thousands of employees money. He has done just that, and at the same time, is leading the pack. His job doesn't entail giving away the shop to medallion members. Like it or not, certain things needed to be tightened up. He has earned every cent of that money.
I 100% agree . Since when has it been a crime to earn a good salary and be rewarded in the USA?

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 17, 2013 at 8:05 am
Old May 17, 2013, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
his job entails making the company, its shareholders, and its tens of thousands of employees money. He has done just that, and at the same time, is leading the pack. His job doesn't entail giving away the shop to medallion members. Like it or not, certain things needed to be tightened up. He has earned every cent of that money.
He didn't do it alone. The hardworking front line employees are getting the same proportional raise, right?
Old May 17, 2013, 3:29 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Actually, as CEO comp packages go, this one is actually pretty decent and reasonable. The cash portion, which I would consider fair for a CEO of a company the size of Delta, is dwarfed by the stock options and stock. Main question I have is the period the stock is restricted as to sale; if it's a decent time period, it can be a good incentive for a CEO to take the long view in strategic thinking. It's very easy to make decisions that temporarily bump up a stock's price and increase profitability in the short term. It's quite another to maintain that performance over a longer timeframe, say 5 to 7 years.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:31 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by HongKonger
He didn't do it alone. The hardworking front line employees are getting the same proportional raise, right?
No, but there have been bonuses this year, but your point is noted and I generally agree with it.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I think such an increase in compensation is too much. It's not just Dick who is responsible for Delta's performance. Sure he deserves a raise, but at the same time, shouldn't that wealth be shared with fellow employees? How many outside of DL HQ received a pay raise that approaches 40%?
1) I agree with this.

2) before anyone says it though, 1 40% increase for all 80,000 employees would bankrupt the company. Thus i propose they just give employees the 5th week of vacation back.
See, saves Delta money and makes employees happy.

I tried.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:31 am

he does share the wealth. Don't employees get a check every quarter or every year based on how much profit DL made?? Plus, with over 75,000 employees world wide, lets say he divided up $10,000,000 between all 75,000 employees, that would leave each employee with $133.33.
yes but not anywhere even close to the ballpark of 40%. Not sure what profit sharing ends up being compared to his pay package. (per employee its not going to be a blip on the radar)

Having said that, Delta did just give its employees a fairly big raise. (ie, it didn't just cover cost of living increase). I would bet most employees are pretty happy. (but i don't think away would turn down 40% increases, even if the bulk of it was long term stock options.)
Old May 17, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Delta has been very, very generous to its employees through recent raises and profit sharing, so I doubt you'll find many employees who are truly dissatisfied at their overall compensation package. Sure, who wouldn't want to make more money, but that's different than being a disgruntled employee.

Delta is taking a very, IMO, long term approach here. If delta were to lavish it employees with huge, huge raises every year that the company does well, it would quickly make costs (ex-fuel CASM) increase to unsustainable levels. The next time the company/industry goes through a very difficult period, then Delta would be a in a heap of trouble.

So with R.A.'s package now, rewarding him with additional stock options/bonuses now, contingent on when the company is successful, and then pulling them later if performance suffers, is MUCH easier to do than enforce pay cuts to all employees.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by DiscoPapa; May 17, 2013 at 5:54 am Reason: 2 cents!
Old May 17, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
After seeing his performance on several preflight videos, I cannot in any way believe that he is responsible for any success at Delta...even if he has a big desk to sit behind.

How these people get to be CEOs is far beyond my comprehension.

-=tg=-
Old May 17, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I hope he celebrates tonight with nice Gordon's and tonic.....
Old May 17, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
What do you think the company is realizing on the bottom line with their new alcohol policy in the SC? $4MM?? if so, then he doesn't deserve the raise.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by LADELTA777
Yes he does, but please pay him with Skymiles.
Reply of the day. ^
Old May 17, 2013, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Perfectly reasonable given the performance of the company and his standing in the industry.

All the discussion of the employees is, frankly, silly. CEOs make more money than FAs or pilots. I think that fact surprises nobody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.