Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL or its express carriers have a policy for carry-ons on CRJ 200s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt

Does Delta have a written policy concerning carry-on luggage on a CRJ 200? My standard TravelPro rollerboard (with only one change of clothes fits perfectly in the overhead. I have carried it on many times in the past, and often have a FA question me when I board but say nothing when they see it fits. However, today I ran into a FA that although it fit, said that FAA guidelines require that I check it. She tried to get the GA to remove it from the overhead, however, the Captain interceded and said it was ok. I don't want to break an FAA rule, but not sure there is one.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:41 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
DougSkyMiles, welcome to FlyerTalk! As this concerns Delta's CRJs, I assume that you meant to post it in the DL SkyMiles forum, and I moved it here. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I fly on these planes way too often, and I am not aware of an official policy provided it fits, which my carrion (tumi presidio frequent carry on) does not.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:57 pm

Depends on the carrier, but it is generally a written rule that nothing other than personal items are allowed onboard the CRJ200 (with the exception of 3 crewmember bags). Written rules in manuals become Federal rules, which the flight attendant can be fined for not following.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:01 pm

Hmmm, I've flown the CRJ200 a number of times and have never seen that happen. In fact, one woman asked me if I thought her suitcase would fit or if she should check it and as I was eyeing it one of our pilots who was on the ground told her it would fit fine. Of course that's not to say there aren't guidelines, just that I've never seen them enforced.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Josher747
Depends on the carrier, but it is generally a written rule that nothing other than personal items are allowed onboard the CRJ200 (with the exception of 3 crewmember bags). Written rules in manuals become Federal rules, which the flight attendant can be fined for not following.
Where is it generally written?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL GM
How do written rules in airline manuals become federal rules, exactly?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Originally Posted by WWGuy
How do written rules in airline manuals become federal rules, exactly?
OpSpecs of the airlines are approved by the FAA and per 14CFR they carry the full weight of the rest of the code.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL GM
I've been carrying the same 19" Travel Pro roll aboard on DL CRJ200s for 5 years. Occasionally a spatially-challenged GA tries to convince me it won't fit. I smile, take the pink tag, and roll it down the jetway and onto the plane anyway. I've never had an aircraft crew member question it or suggest I should gate check it instead.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
Does Delta have a written policy concerning carry-on luggage on a CRJ 200? My standard TravelPro rollerboard (with only one change of clothes fits perfectly in the overhead. I have carried it on many times in the past, and often have a FA question me when I board but say nothing when they see it fits. However, today I ran into a FA that although it fit, said that FAA guidelines require that I check it. She tried to get the GA to remove it from the overhead, however, the Captain interceded and said it was ok. I don't want to break an FAA rule, but not sure there is one.
In all my CR200 time I've never seen an FA remove something that actually fit in the overhead. I have seen many FA's discourage someone from trying (because they knew it would waste time and wouldn't fit) -- but never have I seen one say something after it clearly fit.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
"Passengers traveling on Delta Connection flights, and only those flights with fifty (50) seats or less, are only permitted to carry personal items on board the aircraft due to limited overhead space. Personal items must be able to fit securely under the seat in front of the passenger. All carry-on bags within Delta's size restrictions will be gate checked, free of charge, during the boarding process and returned upon deplaning. Please ensure that a pink Gate Claim/Planeside tag is securely attached to the carry-on item. Assitive devices are not subject to this restriction."
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess when I hear "standard" sized I think 20" - 21" vertical, 45" linear carry-on luggage which definitely does not fit in the CRJ-200's. I can imagine it's difficult to visually distinguish something that will fit and something that won't. I think many of us have seen people who bring something on-board the CRJ-200 that they think will fit, but after spending 10 minutes trying to jam it in the bins realize it's not going to fit. I've heard some insist that they've fit them in the bins before, but I suspect they were on a CRJ-700/900 before and didn't realize they were on a different type of CRJ (most pax don't seem particularly expert at distinguishing between the various regional and mainline aircraft).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
If the OP's bag fits in the CRJ 200's overhead, then it should fit under the seat as well so I think it would fit somewhere on board without a problem. As tiny as those overheads are, I think the bag could qualify as a "personal item" unless one is bringing on multiple items.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
Welll..the answer is the same as you were told in the other thread. What information DL supplies to the FAA has the weight of a FAA directive.
Delta says the following, on Delta.com, (the only paragraph relevant to Connection aircraft is the second i.e. no carry-ons, whether or not they are of size and "fit"). A carry-on/rollaboard bag is not a "personal" item. A personal item is defined as: A male or female purse, a briefcase, a laptop/computer, a camera case, a diaper bag, or an item of a similar or smaller size to those listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.